how do i do this

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

damagister

how do i do this

Post by damagister »

i want to help out with the art and make my own campaigns.what do i need for those two things?and where can i get them?
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

damagister

Post by damagister »

thanks man
damagister

Post by damagister »

i cant seem to get gimp to work it seems incredibly complicated is it possible just to use paint somehow?
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

You don't have to use GIMP, I don't, because it's incredibly complicated. Try JDraw if you like. You don't have to use any special application. MSPaint will do, if its all you have. I'm not a big fan of the GIMP, but I only have an old version, so it may be better now...

Those programs on the list are what the art devs use. They are experienced at them. You can use anything, from MSPaint to The GIMP. Just use what you know best or what gets the job done.
Jew unit

Post by Jew unit »

commanderkeen wrote:You don't have to use GIMP, I don't, because it's incredibly complicated. Try JDraw if you like. You don't have to use any special application. MSPaint will do, if its all you have. I'm not a big fan of the GIMP, but I only have an old version, so it may be better now...

Those programs on the list are what the art devs use. They are experienced at them. You can use anything, from MSPaint to The GIMP. Just use what you know best or what gets the job done.

yea ... but you cant do transpancy on ms paint (or if you can you'd be my hero if you told me how) and sprites without tranparancy dont work. and yea GIMP would be a lot nicer if it was easy to use :-/
2^x-1 mod x
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

commanderkeen wrote:MSPaint will do, if its all you have.
Unfortunately, that's not really true. MS Paint has poor (read "no") support for images with partial transparency. That's a must for unit graphics and terrains in Wesnoth.

Portraits or story art you could theoretically do in MS Paint, but it's about 90% easier with the tools the GIMP brings to the table, such as layers, anti-aliasing, transparency (again) and custom selection tools.

The GIMP (or for that matter, Photoshop) are scary, but the learning curve is well worth it.

There's a Free online book called Grokking the GIMP. It's for an older version but it should still tell you what you need to know.

OTOH, if you really don't want to use GIMP I understand there are other tools that fall closer to MS Paint in complexity, but have transparency (and possibly other features).

Can anybody recommend some, please?
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

I use Jdraw, It's in the list of programs, but it needs java runtime. Its like paint with transparency, but it is a bit slow to run...

I find Corel Photo-Paint a good tool for portraits, although I use version 3 and version 10 is out... Plus, it isn't free :cry:

Whatever you use, get Xnview. It doesn't do transparency, it's just a batch converter sorta thing. Since JDraw has no fancy functions, I use XnView for the posh FX.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Jew unit wrote:yea ... but you cant do transpancy on ms paint (or if you can you'd be my hero if you told me how) and sprites without tranparancy dont work. and yea GIMP would be a lot nicer if it was easy to use :-/
yep, tell that to Neorice :roll:

my avatar doesnt have transparency(apart from shadow), that doesnt make it ugly, does it?

i must agree that Adobe Photoshop UI is a LOT better than Gimp's. too bad its not free.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Syntax_Error wrote:
Jew unit wrote:yea ... but you cant do transpancy on ms paint (or if you can you'd be my hero if you told me how) and sprites without tranparancy dont work. and yea GIMP would be a lot nicer if it was easy to use :-/
yep, tell that to Neorice :roll:
Neorice does most of his sprites in MS Paint but then he has to use other software to add the transparency anyway.

And Neorice is a freak (in a good way). :)
Syntax_Error wrote:my avatar doesnt have transparency(apart from shadow), that doesnt make it ugly, does it?
Not at all. But you can't just say "apart from shadow". The transparent shadow is a requirement for the sprite to be usable in game, and you can't create that transparent shadow in MS Paint.
Syntax_Error wrote:i must agree that Adobe Photoshop UI is a LOT better than Gimp's. too bad its not free.
It's certainly a lot more intuitive to Windows users, but that doesn't necessarily make it better.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

perhaps someone should write a guide in the create section on how to intuitively use GIMP. I'm up for it if it's necessary.
damagister

Post by damagister »

that would really help
appleide

Post by appleide »

Pixen is good, for Mac OS X, however.
http://www.opensword.org/Pixen/
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.