What's the best 2v2 team?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Higher Game

What's the best 2v2 team?

Post by Higher Game »

Loyalist/Undead is strong, since you have the best day team and the best night team. Rebel/Knalgan is really great at taking the best terrain, and fights generally well at all times. Northerner/Drake and Undead/Drake can be brutal if the Drake player goes heavy saurians. The main team does the damage, while saurians use mages on tough positions and trap/kill weakened units. A few normal drakes toe the line at day, if necessary. I enjoy the Undead/Drake a lot because enemy mages and woses designed to kill skeletons are so worthless against drakes. :) Of course, all of this depends on the map.

What do you all think?
Kollle

Post by Kollle »

Depends entirely on the players in question.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I have noticed that undead with drakes is very powerful. But of course you should not be heavy on saurians because they share the undead weakness to fire damage. (Another misguided advice from HG...)

The reason undead+drake is so powerful is because you can counter those weakness-exploitation strategies that are usually effective against them (and which are designed to keep their power in check).
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

The attack would be at night, of course, since skirmishers almost always get to pick the time of a fight, so mage fire damage wouldn't be a big issue, and a few skirmishers can easily kill a mage. With one at 4-4 and one at 5-4 at night, on average, the mage can be sufficiently injured that it wouldn't want to fire back, since it would possibly get killed from ranged spear damage. Just 2 hits from each should do the trick, which isn't an unreasonable expectation.

As for the augurs, a mage at night obviously wouldn't want to try and blast them. He might win, but he would get hit back hard, and mages are more expensive than augurs.

The first night usually decides a match, so going heavy chaotic usually wins a match.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Higher Game has posted.

STACKS ON!!
Kyler Thatch

Post by Kyler Thatch »

Oh no, you want to keep your saurians away from magic users at all times. Not only are they weak against both cold and fire damage (which is what almost all magic attacks are), but the magical property completely negates the any high defense the surians would enjoy on good terrain. Usually better to go after the mages with fighters or clashers (or skeletons, if you're the one playing undead).

The nice thing about a drake/undead pairup, though, is that each side has the potential to do massive damage in their respective times of day. The drakes attack at daytime, and the undead at night.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Kyler Thatch wrote: The nice thing about a drake/undead pairup, though, is that each side has the potential to do massive damage in their respective times of day. The drakes attack at daytime, and the undead at night.
Yes, Kyler. I think drake+undead is the best offensive pair, but rebel+knalgan is the (potentially) best defensive pair.

In practice, it is harder to take advantage of the rebel+knalgan combination. For one reason, dwarves are slow and take too long to get into place on the more distant allied lands. Another reason, forest and mountain are tightly interwoven on the official maps, so troop rotation maneuvers will be more difficult across multiple turns.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

My vote goes for TEAM HODOR.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Jew unit

Post by Jew unit »

why not loyalist plus northerns? loyalist plus chaotic plus lots of units. The biggest weakness of northerns imo is their lack of magc (but hey they get poision insted) mages would compliment them well imo
2^x-1 mod x
Rev_the_Avacado

Post by Rev_the_Avacado »

Why, its obvious,.... the best 2 vs 2 team is...
me and Galdi! :lol:
Quotes are word-viruses
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Jew unit wrote:why not loyalist plus northerns? loyalist plus chaotic plus lots of units. The biggest weakness of northerns imo is their lack of magc (but hey they get poision insted) mages would compliment them well imo
When you think of poison as an (inferior) alternative to magic, then poison+magic doesn't sound so incredibly powerful. Or course, Loyalists and Northerners can complement each other. But so can any two different factions! You'll have to come up with a better reason than that to show that they gain more from the exchange than drake+undead.
IB

Post by IB »

Kyler Thatch wrote:Oh no, you want to keep your saurians away from magic users at all times.
Then I must be playing wrong because I use skirms to finish mages all the time.
Jew unit

Post by Jew unit »

Sapient wrote:
Jew unit wrote:why not loyalist plus northerns? loyalist plus chaotic plus lots of units. The biggest weakness of northerns imo is their lack of magc (but hey they get poision insted) mages would compliment them well imo
When you think of poison as an (inferior) alternative to magic, then poison+magic doesn't sound so incredibly powerful. Or course, Loyalists and Northerners can complement each other. But so can any two different factions! You'll have to come up with a better reason than that to show that they gain more from the exchange than drake+undead.
fair enough.

Both of them have nice cheap units. They can put lawful cheap units (spear and bowmen) on the front lines at day and cheap choatic units (grunts trolls orc bowmen) at night. The drake/undead has no lawful cheap units and during the day would push through the drakes (imo a drake loyalist match up the drakes cant win during the day however having hte northerens to back up the loyalist the loyalist CAN fight only at day in this 2v2).

I'm sorry for my poor grammer btw
2^x-1 mod x
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

And how are you going to repel the undead if you recruit all those spearmen and bowmen and assassins? I really don't see why you think loyalist+northerner is so powerful.
Kyler Thatch

Post by Kyler Thatch »

IB wrote:
Kyler Thatch wrote:Oh no, you want to keep your saurians away from magic users at all times.
Then I must be playing wrong because I use skirms to finish mages all the time.
Okay, I admit that putting in the phrase "at all times" may have been a bit much. If you can block off any other mages that might wander in, then why not? They're mobile and do lots of melee damage (at night, especially). Still, I'd rather have my skirmishers avoid mages as a general strategy.