Good open source/free mac games

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Good open source/free mac games

Post by Becephalus »

A friend wanted a disk fo fre mac games for xmas. Think of any good ones?

I rmeber there being some awesome risk like game, but cannot find it now ;(
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

2 Free games come to mind. Wesnoth, and Tremulous. ;)
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Aw, you beat me to suggesting Wesnoth. ;)

It's a bit hard to make suggestions without knowing what sort of games you want. Some options:

* Freeciv (a Civilisation clone)
* Battle of Survival (a Command-and-Conquer style RTS)
* Globulation 2 (a Majesty-ish RTS where you assign strategic goals rather than ordering units about)
* Nexuiz (FPS)
* UFO : Alien Invasion (an XCom-inspired turn-based tactical combat game)
* Vega Strike (space flight/combat sim)
* JRisk is a Risk clone and it's written in java so it should run on Mac.

That should get you started. If you need more, go to freshmeat.net and browse the games (if you login it'll let you filter by OS - otherwise you'll have to hunt a little).

I've been too lazy to hunt down links for all those, but they'll turn up if you google them...
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

I do not have a Mac, so I do not know which games run on it, and which do not. However if you give me a link to some list of free Mac games, I could tell which of them are IMHO good. ;-)
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

irrevenant wrote:* UFO : Alien Invasion (an XCom-inspired turn-based tactical combat game)
An X-Com based shooter sounds awesome. Unfortunately, there's no Mac Installer available on the website - are we on our own in terms of installing it on Mac OS 10.4? Because I'm really no good at compiling from source code. =(
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

irrevenant wrote:Aw, you beat me to suggesting Wesnoth. ;)

It's a bit hard to make suggestions without knowing what sort of games you want.

I've been too lazy to hunt down links for all those, but they'll turn up if you google them...
WHy would I need suggestions about I game i currently possess. The conversational implacature of my statement is that I would information about games I AM NOT AWARE OF. Read some JH.P. Grice. :)

Anyway I would think strategy or puzzle games? IDK its a 60 year retired professor of ethics. He loves backgammon, crossword puzzles, would probably enjoy wesnoth if he learned it.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Sangel wrote:
irrevenant wrote:* UFO : Alien Invasion (an XCom-inspired turn-based tactical combat game)
An X-Com based shooter sounds awesome. Unfortunately, there's no Mac Installer available on the website - are we on our own in terms of installing it on Mac OS 10.4?
I'm afraid so. My bad : I had thought there was a Mac binary.

Still, the source code is available and if someone wants to help the UFO:AI team by making a Mac port, I'm sure they'd be grateful...
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

Ragdoll Masters
N-Ball
Super Steal Ball
The demos are free and they're addicting at times, but not the greatest of free demos out there.
John 3:16 (NIV)
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Professionals built the Titanic
Amateurs built the Ark
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Becephalus wrote:Anyway I would think strategy or puzzle games? IDK its a 60 year retired professor of ethics. He loves backgammon, crossword puzzles, would probably enjoy wesnoth if he learned it.
Try freshmeat.net - it should have tons. He'd probably like FreeCiv (although it's not all that ethical. :?)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Glider Pro - http://homepage.mac.com/calhoun/Glider%20PRO.html (yes, there's an OS X version). Awesome game.

Quinn - http://simonhaertel.de/ (best tetris clone I've played; has netplay)

Enigma - http://www.nongnu.org/enigma/ (Clone of the popular Amiga/Mac/Atari game "OXYD")

Cave Story - http://www.nakiwo.com/software.htm (Fun 2d game; don't know if they have an english version.)

Frozen Bubble - http://www.frozen-bubble.org/ (Fun, snood-like game)
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

irrevenant wrote:Try freshmeat.net - it should have tons. He'd probably like FreeCiv (although it's not all that ethical.)
*Laughs bitterly*

No there are about 125 counting games that aren't yet playable, game editors, and libraries like SDL

Spider-web software makes old-school story-oriented RPGs. They aren't free, but you can download a demo that includes the ~25% of the story and areas of the full games.

Ball Droppings is less a game and more a toy, but it's pretty neat. I won't even try to describe it.

Ur-Quan Masters is a now free fixed up version of Star Control 2. Either one-on-one 2D spaceship combat, or a huge adventure in a weird galaxy.

How is freeCiv unethical?
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Rather than Freshmeat, i usually check this site for Linux games (btw a few are commercial) :
http://www.happypenguin.org/
I think a lot of these should work too on MacOsX.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Jetryl wrote:Cave Story - http://www.nakiwo.com/software.htm (Fun 2d game; don't know if they have an english version.)
I have a 100% English copy, so I know it exists. I'm not sure where I got it from, but I'm sure Google would know.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar wrote:How is freeCiv unethical?
I was actually chatting with one of their devs about this, but apparently the AI in freeCiv is too agressive; the result being that no matter how hard you try to be a pacifist, most games of freeCiv will degenerate into all-out war.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Eleazar wrote:
irrevenant wrote:Try freshmeat.net - it should have tons. He'd probably like FreeCiv (although it's not all that ethical.)
*Laughs bitterly*
No there are about 125 counting games that aren't yet playable, game editors, and libraries like SDL
:? You're right - I thought there'd be more than that. Still, even if you filter for OSX, you still end up with a number of decent games: VegaStrike, JRisk, XPlane, Nexuiz, Cultivation (Now that's an interesting little game), etc.

I notice Wesnoth isn't on there, though. It would be good if one of the Developers added it.
Eleazar wrote:How is freeCiv unethical?
AFAIK, it's nigh-impossible to be successful without resorting to force of arms. The limited negotiation options is largely due to tech limitations, but it might (or might not) bug a professor of ethics.
Noyga wrote:Rather than Freshmeat, i usually check this site for Linux games (btw a few are commercial) :
http://www.happypenguin.org/
I think a lot of these should work too on MacOsX.
I confess, this is what I did. :) I run a linux box, but since OSX has an (IIRC) BSD core, linux/posix games are trivially portable.