Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Xan
Inactive Developer

Lightning strike

Post by Xan »

I made lightning strike (halo) graphics for a campaign character and I thought they might be usable by delfador as well.
Attachments
lightning.zip
(640.33 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I didn't try this in-game, but looks rather fancy! A lot fancier than my old ones, anyway. Looks like the frame structure is the same as it is now with Delfador's lightning, so no WML changes would be required to bolt these in, apparently.
Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

The images are actually named "lightning-strike-*" rather than "lightning-bolt-*", so either they have to be renamed or the WML changed.
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Xan wrote:The images are actually named "lightning-strike-*" rather than "lightning-bolt-*", so either they have to be renamed or the WML changed.
Any chance of an ingame screenshot for those of us who don't have time right now to fiddle with Wesnoth's internals?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sangel wrote:Any chance of an ingame screenshot for those of us who don't have time right now to fiddle with Wesnoth's internals?
Suuuurre... (This is just a photoshop composite, fwiw)

And by the way, Xan - these look really nice. If you have any other SFX graphics lying around, zookeeper/I might well be interested in looking at them - you never know where they might be useful.
Attachments
lightning.png
lightning.png (138.79 KiB) Viewed 4717 times
Gus

Post by Gus »

Looks great indeed =)
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

maybe keep both, and have a variant animation for delf's attack...

(how abuot one for normal attacks and one for final blows... :) )
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Boucman wrote:maybe keep both, and have a variant animation for delf's attack...

(how abuot one for normal attacks and one for final blows... :) )
Can we do that with our current WML code? If so, it could be pretty awesome...

Lightning bolt. Lightning bolt. *One Second Pause* LIGHTNING STRIKE! *Death Animation*
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

It's sith lightning! Ah, Xan has turned to the dark side
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Fiach Dubh

Post by Fiach Dubh »

Boucman wrote:how abuot one for normal attacks and one for final blows
Sangel wrote:Can we do that with our current WML code?
You can, but it's a pain in the arse. When Delfador attacks, you need to store his opponent's hitpoints. You can use [if] [else] to select one of two or more animations - this is currently used for units that have different animations when they hit or miss. But you could also filter it based on whether the opponent's hitpoints are low enough to be killed by this strike.

This will just use the base damage, without allowing for resistance/vulnerability. If you do want to account for that, you could probably filter it further, at least by movement_type if not by 'non-standard' resistances, but this would HUGELY increase the amount of code required.
Jetryl wrote:Normal people are like candy ravers. You look away for a moment and next thing you know they're spreading vaseline on your nipples and cooing like a pigeon.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Sapient wrote:It's sith lightning! Ah, Xan has turned to the dark side
My thought exactly.

IMHO this shouldn't replace the old lightning. The old stuff was ordinary whitish-yellow lightning; this is evil bluish sith lightning. They each have their uses.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

The old lightning looks like your ordinary lightning, from a good mage. This lightning looks like something from an evil spell caster, I love it though.

And would love to use it for the Sidhe, if Turin is fine with doing all the committing that is.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I think it looks more realistic. It could be recolored to be more Delfador-ish. Delfador shouldn't have both the old and new as variations as they are stylistically different.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Woodwizzle wrote:I think it looks more realistic. It could be recolored to be more Delfador-ish. Delfador shouldn't have both the old and new as variations as they are stylistically different.
Having looked at this, Xan's work is really an evolutionary advancement of zookeepers. Xan created his from scratch, but he followed an identical method (except with a few improvements on the end).

Because of this, we should not "use both" - rather, if we want a different color of lightning, we should either recreate something at this same level (except in a different color), or recolor this - but I think we should replace the old with this.

I'll do so, unless I hear any objection from zookeeper.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Fiach Dubh wrote:
Boucman wrote:how abuot one for normal attacks and one for final blows
Sangel wrote:Can we do that with our current WML code?
You can, but it's a pain in the arse. When Delfador attacks, you need to store his opponent's hitpoints. You can use [if] [else] to select one of two or more animations - this is currently used for units that have different animations when they hit or miss. But you could also filter it based on whether the opponent's hitpoints are low enough to be killed by this strike.

This will just use the base damage, without allowing for resistance/vulnerability. If you do want to account for that, you could probably filter it further, at least by movement_type if not by 'non-standard' resistances, but this would HUGELY increase the amount of code required.
We can do a lot more fancy animation (and other) filtering already in 1.3+, so doing an attack animation that's only used on the killing blow would be very simple. Actually, we could do that just as easily in 1.2, too, if we wanted to. The animation WML bends rather well to all sorts of special situations (like filtering by damage types, opponent unit type, whatever) directly, which is nice for these kind of effects.