Wesnoth 1.1.13 (windows) crashing mid-game.

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Tsunami

Wesnoth 1.1.13 (windows) crashing mid-game.

Post by Tsunami »

Hello.

I run Wesnoth on Windows XP SP2. I downloaded 1.1.13 tonight and it started crashing on the multiplayer server when a game started. So I did a fresh install with no add-ons. It is still crashing during multiplayer games against AI after a few turns and I got it to crash during a campaign as well. I can go back to 1.1.12 but I wanted to post this in case there is some kind of error log I should post or something else I should try. Though I guess it's probably just me since there are no other posts like this. :cry:
Gnork

Me too

Post by Gnork »

No you're not alone, I'm encountering this problem (with Windows 98 SE) too :(
It has already noted on bugs.wesnoth.org though...
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Gnork, I don't see it reported there. (Bug 7914 is 1.1.8 windows/linux)

I suspect this is another example of the Photoshop ICC Profile crash observed with 1.1.2 and 1.1.10.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Gnork

Post by Gnork »

Sapient wrote:Gnork, I don't see it reported there. (Bug 7914 is 1.1.8 windows/linux)
It is : bug #7917
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I'll see if I can give the bug a more descriptive name than that. Thanks
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Tsunami

Post by Tsunami »

I thought it might be the AI doing it but I just crashed a hotseat game with no AI players, and it didn't crash during combat, I was just scrolling to the right on turn 1 before I had even recruited. Sorry I can't be more helpful but it seems to be crashing randomly.
Piter

Post by Piter »

Hi, I just wanted to notice that I have this problem playing HTTT campaign medium difficulty, first scenario. I have win98se, Wesnoth 1.1.13. For me it happens during AI turn, if I'm watching, Wesnoth is just closing, but if I alt+tab to other applications I get the message that application made forbidden operation and will be closed (or something like that - I don't remember this message in English).
Gallifax
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Gallifax »

Hi, I was encountering the same issue. And it seems in connection with wesnoth using too much memory. The longer wesnoth runs, the more memory it needs. It started with 135 MB and after 20 min it used about 200 Mb.

I hope this will be of help to fix it.

Brgds Gallifax
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

Hi,

I have the same problem with gentoo linux.

Heir to the throne, easy crashes in:
Elves besieged (the first scenario)
Blackwater Port
Valley of the Death

It crashes, when the AI does it moves, but not in battles.

Reloading the last savegame and retry usually goes around it. As long as the AI moves a little bit different.

I am now at Sceptre of Fire and had no additional crashes so far.
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Is this problem repeatable and are there any savegames before the crash? If you can repeat it with a certain savegame please attach them to this bug #7917 bug report.
Gnork

Random crash

Post by Gnork »

SkeletonCrew wrote:Is this problem repeatable and are there any savegames before the crash?
As it was said, this problem occurs on a random basis : when reloading the turn just before the crash, i may play three turns before another crash.

Moreover, it occurs whatever the scenario, whereas it never occurred on v1.1.12.

Oh well, why has my comment on bug #7917 been marked as a spam :o :(
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Re: Random crash

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Gnork wrote:
SkeletonCrew wrote:Is this problem repeatable and are there any savegames before the crash?
As it was said, this problem occurs on a random basis : when reloading the turn just before the crash, i may play three turns before another crash.
If you have some savegame where it at least happens after a few turns I would be happy. So far I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. I run debian but I saw a gentoo user with the problem as well so that would mean it's no Windows only problem.
Gnork wrote: Moreover, it occurs whatever the scenario, whereas it never occurred on v1.1.12.

Oh well, why has my comment on bug #7917 been marked as a spam :o :(
I've no idea the spam reporter doesn't tell the reason why and I can't unspam a message :(
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

Hi,

I got a crash after this autosave. I did my moves, and when the second AI player did its, wesnoth segfaulted.

But when I did it again, and the AI moved slightly different, it did not crash.

So you might spent hours or days if you try to recreate it ;)

I will see to get one that is closer (were I saved at the end of my turn and the AI always makes wesnoth crash).

This is with gentoo, gentoo provided ebuild.
Attachments
Swamp_Of_Dread-Auto-Save5.bz2
(31.43 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

here is one, AI attacks the units in the swaps, AI moves, wesnoth crashes:
Attachments
Swamp_Of_Dread_Turn_13.bz2
(36.21 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »