Psychological units:

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glowing Fish

Psychological units:

Post by Glowing Fish »

I have noticed that some units I have a psychological estimation of that doesn't totally fit in with their stats. In other words, some units I overestimate, and some units I underestimate. I am sure I am not the only person who does that.

For example, I always overestimate enemy elusive foot units. They seem so tricky and hard to hit, that I often don't want to take chances on them--even when, of course, an enemy thief has a good chance of getting killed by two Elvish Fighters. (or even one Elvish Fighter!) But I have just seen to many of them escape, that sometimes it seems it is not worth it.

So what units do you find yourself overestimate and underestimating?
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Orcish assassins.

When I started playing, for at least a year or so orcish assassins did always hit with their single melee swing. I mean always. It happened so often to one of my friends who was playing too, that we seriously suspected the RNG got messed up in single-swing attacks, since they just used to hit unnaturally often. I didn't really play much MP at the time, only campaigns, so I didn't get to take much of an advantage of this. :P

I don't think I fear them that much anymore, since the glitch has seemingly disappeared, but I used to at the time.
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

I often overestimate ghosts. It's because you have to swarm in with ranged units to avoid getting drained. Then, they are resistant to most of those ranged units (except mages... heh heh) because my mages aren't close by, then they go and drain my guysand get their health back!

Level 1 ghosts are easy enough to kill, but the level 2 ones, their baneblade is big enough to seriously hurt.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

commanderkeen wrote:Level 1 ghosts are easy enough to kill, but the level 2 ones, their baneblade is big enough to seriously hurt.
No kidding! Wraiths can indeed be dangerous.
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

Level 3 ghosts are Armageddon. Just as well they don't drain on ranged too...
IB

Post by IB »

Ulf.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

commanderkeen wrote:I often overestimate ghosts. It's because you have to swarm in with ranged units to avoid getting drained. Then, they are resistant to most of those ranged units (except mages... heh heh) because my mages aren't close by, then they go and drain my guysand get their health back!

Level 1 ghosts are easy enough to kill, but the level 2 ones, their baneblade is big enough to seriously hurt.
I would agree with this. I am afraid of ghosts. The thing is, most of the time it is a rational fear, because they really are hard to kill! On the other hand, I also tend to not want to spend the time killing bats, who are a lot easier to kill. 50% dodge seems very high to me.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I overestimate all enemy units.
I underestimate all my units.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

I think i underestimate level 0 units. They seem so fragile and just made for dieing to me. It is hard to get a kill without exposing them and you always have to protect them or they die like flies. I rarely recruit any but maybe one or two goblins if i play against drakes.

However i see real good players using them much more frequently, so i guess there must be some misjudgement on my side.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

I think I overestimate Level 0 units. Especially the Goblin Spearman. I am like, "oh look! 8 gold! I might as well spend it on a spearman, he might be able to get some good hits in". Then I send out the spearman, and he dies, and I realize for another 4 gold I could have gotten a sturdy grunt.
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

I must go with the ghost. Especially when playing Knalgans, the guy is almost impossible to kill - your best bet is to blast him with blunderers (my Thunderers sure deserve that name) and hope for the best.

What else? Well... I sure am somewhat scared of adepts... rightfully so, I guess.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

Bats are strange. In MP it seems if there is a bat people have to kill it even if they get killed in the process. Its kindo fun to see players deviate thunderers, rider, mages even berserkers from the main front only to kill a lonely bat.
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

That's 'cause roasted bat tastes yummy.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

And they are just soooo annoying!
I might have to start another thread...
"most annoying unit"
But the answer would always be
"whatever unit with 1 HP left that missed 4 shots from my Arch Mage"
IB

Post by IB »

Xandria wrote:I must go with the ghost. Especially when playing Knalgans, the guy is almost impossible to kill - your best bet is to blast him with blunderers (my Thunderers sure deserve that name) and hope for the best.
Poachers ;)