Napoleonnoth

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I was going to be gone for four months, but it so happens my plans have changed. Anyway, I'm back.
Casual User wrote:I see seven people have downloaded it so far. Any comments?
I had some trouble getting it working at first, but eventually I was able to play a few games. First, as Rheinnen in a six-player FFA, I won. My Austrian mother was suitably impressed. Then I played as Borea in a four-player FFA. Both times, the other nations were AI.

In the second game, AI players 2 and 3 were Albion, while AI 4 was Rheinnen. Both Albions self-destructed fairly swiftly, to Rheinnen's benefit, and I was soon outnumbered 3 or 4 to 1 by Rheinned's mighty army. I'm not sure if this indicates a problem or not but I thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, regardless of the odd result of that second game, I like what I see.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Temuchin Khan wrote:Both Albions self-destructed fairly swiftly, to Rheinnen's benefit, and I was soon outnumbered 3 or 4 to 1 by Rheinned's mighty army.
Rheinnen has the fastest units in the era, so it would be ideally suited to quickly occupy territory left vacant by a defeated ennemy.

This gives me an idea, I think I'll write:

Quick Guide to each Nation's Specialties and Weak Points

Albion:

Specialties:
Cheap cavalry allows for powerful charges
Officers are cheap and powerful leadership units
Highlander infantry has excellent staying power

Weak Points:
Lack of a real scout (save the cavalry)
No spammable units (cheapest is 14gp regular infantry)

Poenia:

Specialties:
Infantry that comes in both spammable (conscript) and reliable (regular)
Also easier to gain levels for infantry
Very powerful artillery
Healing at lvl2

Weak Points:
No unit that can deal with nighttime properly
No terrain specials at all

Rheinnen:

Specialties:
Very fast scouts (tunnarians and hunters)
No weak units

Weak Points:
No particularly strong units either

Borea:

Specialties:
Very cheap and eminently spammable infantry
Excellent interaction with rough terrain (Mojik, Artillery, snow, etc...)
Excellent nighttime fighters

Weak points:
Units are cheap (infantry) or versatile (artillery), but weak
No units with adequate staying power

NOTE: This is not a strategy guide, or anything of the sort, just a collection of general remarks.
Dex_Solo

Post by Dex_Solo »

Hm I downloaded Napoleonoth 0.1 via Get Add-ons in Wesnoth. But I cant choose the "classical" era in MP.

Maybe the Napoleonnoth.cfg in userdata\data\campaigns should be fixed?

campaign="Classical Era"
icon="attacks/thunderstick.png"
version="0.1"
author="Casual User"
passphrase="Napoleon"
description="First release of the Classical Era, which is inspired from the Napoleonic wars."
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Dex_Solo wrote:Hm I downloaded Napoleonoth 0.1 via Get Add-ons in Wesnoth. But I cant choose the "classical" era in MP.

Maybe the Napoleonnoth.cfg in userdata\data\campaigns should be fixed?

campaign="Classical Era"
icon="attacks/thunderstick.png"
version="0.1"
author="Casual User"
passphrase="Napoleon"
description="First release of the Classical Era, which is inspired from the Napoleonic wars."
I did have to do some adjustments before I could get it working. Unfortunately, it would take someone more experienced with computers than me to accurately describe what I did. All I know is that I had to write one or two new cfg's. I am more lucky than anything else that they were functional!

Post by Casual User »

Mea culpa!

Mea magna culpa!

When zipping the archive, I accidentally put in the "Napoleonnoth.pbl" file rather than the "Napoleonnoth.cfg" file...

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I will set things right at once!

EDIT : VERSION ON THE CAMPAIGN SERVER WORKS, ATTACHMENT DELETED.
Last edited by Casual User on January 8th, 2007, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dex_Solo

Post by Dex_Solo »

Thx for new config. Now I played vs Computer and I love it. Btw this is not a 0.1 it looks like much more. Maybe I´ll find anyone for Multiplayer games.

But why did you choose this names and not the historial? French, Austrian/Hungary and so on?
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Temuchin Khan wrote:I did have to do some adjustments before I could get it working.
Actually, I would suggest those who downloaded the first version and made their own cfg files to download the second one and make the appropriate replacements.

The napoleonnoth.cfg file contains weapon-special macros that are used by all (or nearly) the units in the campaign. Those who made their own won't have access to them (excluding the possibility of a remarkable case of telepathy :P ).
Dex_Solo wrote:But why did you choose this names and not the historial? French, Austrian/Hungary and so on?
Two reasons:

1. Having lurked around forums for historical games at times, I have noticed flame wars can easily start in pure-history games. Using fantasy names, I hope to reduce as much as possible the chance of that happenning.

2. While historical accuracy is nice and all, I will not and cannot make a truly historically-accurate era. If I used the real names, there would be far more pressure to keep as close to history as possible. With fantasy names, I can (and do) take liberties with historical accuracy.

-----------------------------------

Today's post is to announce development of Napoleonnoth will be on hiatus for two-three weeks.

One week from now will start my finals, the overture being given by a lovely three-exam salvo.

As such, not only won't I be able to work on the era, but neither will I post much (I mean less than usual).

I'll probably keep reading occasionally, though, so keep giving feedback if you wish to do so.

The problem with one-man-projects being, of course, what happens when the man takes a break...

See you in a few weeks!
appleide

Post by appleide »

Lovely. Playing it now.

If you want AI to play better you need leaders with less movement (i.e walking). I am sure I've seen officers who command on their own feet in movies before... but I am not an historian.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

appleide wrote:Lovely. Playing it now.

If you want AI to play better you need leaders with less movement (i.e walking). I am sure I've seen officers who command on their own feet in movies before... but I am not an historian.
Historically, owning a horse was (a) a status symbol and (b) a faster means of transportation. For both reasons, generals usually rode horses.

And the movies generally wreak havoc with historical facts. Don't trust them, even when they claim to have done good research.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

I wrote:The napoleonnoth.cfg file contains weapon-special macros that are used by all (or nearly) the units in the campaign.
And speaking of which...

I have had some bad experiences with weapon special WML, so I'd like to ask those that have the second version installed whether the weapon specials work.

There should be two custom weapon specials:
-Ranged attacks should have 0% CTH on defense
-Cannons showld have 70% CTH on offense

So, do they work?

P.S.
appleide wrote:If you want AI to play better you need leaders with less movement
This is just another case of trying to make gameplay a little special and the AI not being able to take it.

I deliberately made the leaders fast, high-level leadership units not only for historical reasons (Temuchin Khan is 100% right), but also to make it a viable option for the player to lead the charge "personally" if he is sure his attack will be successful.

It partially screws up the AI, but playing on large maps should set things right.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Just so you know, I took your advice and downloaded Napoleonnoth from the Campaign server and now I can't get it to work at all, even when I try to write a new cfg for it.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Hmmm, call me stupid, but i downloaded it from the campaign server, have the same problem as Temuchin, and cannot, for the life of me, figure out what to do to make it work ^^
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Since people have mentionned the campaign server more than once, allow me to say that I have put nothing on any campaign server.

Not having the latest version, I could not put it on the current server, so I did not. If there is any version of Napoleonnoth of the campaign server, it was put there without my knowledge.

So, to make this quite clear:

I PUT NOTHING ON THE CAMPAIGN SERVER.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS ON THE CAMPAIGN SERVER.

THE ONLY DOWNLOAD I RECOMMEND IS THE ZIP ARCHIVE I HAVE INCLUDED AS AN ATTACHMENT ON THE FORUM, IN THIS THREAD.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOWNLOADING NAPOLEONNOTH FROM THE CAMPAIGN SERVER AS I HAVE REASON TO BELIEVE IT IS A BUGGY VERSION.

P.S. Come to think of it, I would like to ask whoever put a version of Napoleonnoth on the server to take it down. As can plainly be seen, it only creates confusion.

EDIT : NO LONGER APPLIES, VERSION ON CAMPAIGN SERVER NOW WORKS AND WAS POSTED BY ME.
Last edited by Casual User on January 8th, 2007, 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nasbat

Post by Nasbat »

If you at some point added a Turkish faction you would have all the factions and in the right time period for a Crimean War campaign. Although the charge of the light brigade might be intresting.
Gus

Post by Gus »

@Casual User
'kay sir, didn't know sir, sorry sir.

=)

Seriously tho, i (and others too i guess) had no way of knowing you were not the one who put it there =)
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.