New campaign: Capturing Mar'Than

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

toms

Post by toms »

Sorry for not giving an answer quickly, but I probably missed it. :oops:

I meant, in the second scenario, there are forests made of those big trees. IMO it doesn´t look good, even if it may be the right size of the trees if it´s a mini-map. Please replace them by forest.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
sjl

Post by sjl »

I see what you mean. I did want it to look 'magical', as it was the mages' home, but as it sets the scale right off, I'll have to change it.
sjl

Post by sjl »

I've just uploaded version 0.7.4 - this has most of the changes people have suggested, with the exception of changing the trees to forest, which I don't have time to do today. If I've been a bit heavy-handed with the mid-scenario events, please say!
bignall

Down the Mountainside

Post by bignall »

When I get to Down the Mountainside, I get the following error:

error config: Illegal character in map: (38) '&'
error general: The game map could not be loaded: Illegal character found in map. The scenario cannot be loaded.
sjl

Post by sjl »

What version of wesnoth are you using?
Your error message states that the game cannot load the tile represented by the symbol '&', which is impassable mountains, which was introduced in version 1.1.3. If you had anything below 1.1.3, the campaign wouldn't work. I will try and find a workaround - probably involving including the terrain as a campaign terrain for pre-1.1.3 users.
**EDIT**
Forget the workaround, I just looked at the config files and it looks like too much work! Please upgrade your version of wesnoth to 1.1.5 (or 1.2, when it comes out :D )
sjl

Post by sjl »

Version 0.7.5:
includes that replacement of forest terrain toms suggested, and a bugfix regarding a troll's mummy!
I think that's my todo finished, so now I can go and write some more scenarios. :P
bignall

Post by bignall »

Oh, okay, I was using 1.1.2 - I thought that would be recent enough... guess not :) . I usually keep with the debian testing packages, so I guess I'll have to keep with unstable for wesnoth. Thanks for the info!
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Hi Sjl!
I think i have found a little bug in "1.2.x Capturing_Mar'Than 0.8.1 "
In the first few lines of "Capturing_Mar_Than.cfg" is a definition of the icons for the campaign menu.

Code: Select all

[campaign]
    name=_"Capturing_Mar'Than"
    icon="attacks/sword-human.png"
    image="attacks/sword-human.png"
originally it is defined as sword.png but that does not exist in the attacks folder.

greetings
stefan
sjl

Post by sjl »

Thanks - although I thought it worked!
I'm hoping to do some more work on the campaign tomorrow, if I have some time.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

sjl wrote:Thanks - although I thought it worked!
I'm hoping to do some more work on the campaign tomorrow, if I have some time.
Yes, it worked until someone renamed some pictures in january 2006.
sjl

Version 0.9.9

Post by sjl »

I've uploaded version 0.9.9 - this is my first attempt at the complete campaign. It now has 10 scenarios, and ends at a suitable finishing point (although I hope to extend it).

It includes two new scenarios, one entitled 'Crossroads' and the other you can guess at if you read the spoiler a while back. Or you can just play it!

I've also included the 'human-sword.png' fix - thanks!

As always, comments, problems, suggestions etc. are welcome.

I hope you enjoy it!
RedLTeut

Post by RedLTeut »

I found the first scenario too difficult on medium, maybe it was just bad luck and I should have retried more. It sort of worked out to a stalemate with me killing as many units as Ben made.

I then continued on easy and found that money doesn't matter that much because of the bottlenecks. I would have prefered to have played it on medium just so not to have that much money around, usually like 1k.

I'm currently stuck at the last one, you guess it, because of bottlenecks and my slow CPU. Some allied units(Nagas?) that could cross deep water and would fight at the right side would have been nice because currently the math points to a stalemate. Maybe I should have trained adepts instead of bowmen, I'd need a heavy infantry killer..
sjl

Post by sjl »

Easy was meant to be *easy*. 8)

However, you're quite right about the medium difficulty, and as for the hard... well, we won't go there. I'll give it some work tomorrow (hopefully) and release a slightly more balanced medium, and an easier hard. As for a new version number ... 0.9.9.1? :?

Thanks for the suggestions, more are always welcome. :D
sjl

Version 0.9.9.1

Post by sjl »

I've hopefully balanced play a bit, so it's on the devel campaign server. If anyone's got a problem with that, I'll have to put a copy on the old one ... but I'd rather not.
sjl

Post by sjl »

Out of interest, has anyone found the cheat at the mage's tower?