New Faction (not complete yet): GOLEMS

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

supersonic

New Faction (not complete yet): GOLEMS

Post by supersonic »

Long ago, in times when magic was developing and fragile humans were just beginning to understand the arcane art, a group of apprentices had an utopian idea. They wanted to create mechanic creatures, unsentient constructs designed to fill specific tasks. They named themselves artificers. Artificers were made of mostly humans, as their light-minded thinking and laziness were pushing them towards making the beings. After a long argue between the members, it was agreed that creatures shall be made from stone, copper, iron and titanium. Artificers decided to name their future creations GOLEMS. The first blacksmith was build. Thousands of peasants were spendind their lifes in mines, digging in search of the resources. In the high towers, noble craftsmen shaped the bodies. Then, when everything was made, a single artificer made a spell, consisting of elements of necromancy, conjuration and transmutation, to put life into a previously inanimated structure. Shortly after, legions of different golems were created. Copper ones, designed to mine more efficiently than humans, stone golems, used as battering rams in battles, iron golems, destroying enemy's infantry and titanium, the rarest golems ever. The titanium cosntructs had an immense ability to create seismic waves, destroying everything around.

Soon, the artificers became the leading power. Their armies, never fleeing nor deserting, marched, conquering more and more territory. No army could stop golems. But one day, an archmage found a counterspell against the golem magic. With just a few incantations, he managed to defeat the army of an artificer noble, turning it into dust. The artificers were no longer the most powerful.

Nowadays, the artificer clan has been split and its members live by themselves. Each one of them has crazed ambitions and wants to conquer the world of Wesnoth himself. Sometimes, one or two mad mages launch an open rebel, but a circle of mages is often enough to pound it to ashes. Artificers are usually neutral in all conflicts, helping no side, unless it gives them a load of resources to produce more constructs.

Units:

Artificer:
The crazed mages, artificers, are the leaders of all golems armies. While not posing any threat by themselves, they certainly boost the strength of golems they command. They also know a bit of life draining magic.

Attack:
Staff Attack
Dying
Defending

Health:20
Cost: 30
Attacks:
Staff: 4-1 Impact
Magic fist: 7-2 impact magical
Life drain: 10-1 piercing drain
Abilities: leadership
+4 repair (any machine-type creatures nearby are healed at the beginning of the turn)
Speed: 5

Copper Golem:
The weakest and cheapest of all, copper golems don't pose a threat unless in numbers. When you are forced to rely on copper golems, it seems that the battle is over for you.
Health: 25
Cost: 23
Attacks:
Fist: 5-2 impact
Abilities: Machine (cannot be poisoned or slowed. It cannot be healed - creatures with healing treat it as an empty space - it can restore health by reparation; doesn't gain exp points and cannot gain levels; if commander is destroyed, it is destroyed as well)

Iron Golem:
Against all most light ground creatures, iron golem is a tank. With two bludgeoning fists, he slams his way through ranks of helpless 'living'. However, against shooters or flyers he doesn't stand a chance.
Health: 40
Cost: 32
Attacks:
Fist: 12-3 impact
Abilities: Machine (cannot be poisoned or slowed. It cannot be healed - creatures with healing treat it as an empty space - it can restore health by reparation; doesn't gain exp points and cannot gain levels; if commander is destroyed, it is destroyed as well)
Speed: 4

Stone Golem:
A tough golem which will surely hold its position for a long time. With extreme hardness and resistance, stone golems can just stand like walls and resist enemies' attack. However they pose little threat themsleves.
Health: 54
Price: 39
Attacks:
Fist: 9-2 impact
Speed: 4

Titanium Golem
Also called sacred golems, as titanium is not a frequently occuring resource. Expensive, but worth their price in combat. Their two gargantuan arms are magically charged: negatively and positively. Giant seismic waves summoned by these monstrosities often have turned the tide of battle.
Attack:
Die:
Health: 70
Price: 50
Attacks:
Seismic Fist:
14-3 Impact

It's fists attack all enemies around.

More shall come later, when I improve my skills and find some time.
Please, do not critcise too sharply, it is my first faction.
If it's unbalanced, I'll try to fix the stats.
This is not everything, so do not post anything like "It's unfinished".
I was inventing all the 'fluff' for an hour. :)
I did my best :D
danny_california

Post by danny_california »

they defenetly have the potential to be in the game as like the cave eras
and maybe like cave dwarfs and stuff with them
Dr. Mary Morrighan

is my babysitter
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Please, what I meant was CONSTRUCTIVE critics. If it's good, tell me why. If it's bad, also do so and I'll improve it.
" 'God save thee, ancient Mariner!
From the fiends, that plague thee thus!--
Why look'st thou so?'--'With my cross-bow
I shot the Albatross.' "
houli

Post by houli »

Are those all recruitable and 1st level? And can they level at all. Atleast I think 50 gold for first level is very expensive even if its 14-3 attack (which is alot even for 2nd level).

Edit: Oh and I think the arts pretty nice (even if I dont know anything anyways), though the golems have 'slightly' similar look to each other.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Those looks like pretty well done frankensteined units :)
You forgot to mention the level of the units. And the resistances (probably special for the golems ?).
While it is not so important on the golems, it has a huge impact on the artificer's leadership.
About the machine ability :
- "Cannot be poisoned" (and plagued/drained) can be done as a racial attribute
- "Cannot be slowed or healed" cannot be donne unless you have unit with modified version of slowing/healing on the map
- "Cannot gain XP" cannot be done, btw gaining XP become useless if there is no AMLA nor advancement
- "Cannot level" : just don't give hum any advancement
The repair Ability would be just a modified healing ability.

About balancing ... well for example the entire faction will have trouble versus an army of woses. Having only impact and pierces doesn't help here. Maybe a fire golem (with a fire attack) would work here.
BTW it would be probably be a little boring because all allmost all the units are similar, especially the type of attacks.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Noyga wrote:- "Cannot be slowed or healed" cannot be donne unless you have unit with modified version of slowing/healing on the map
- "Cannot gain XP" cannot be done, btw gaining XP become useless if there is no AMLA nor advancement
Actually these can be done, if one really wants to.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Noyga wrote: About the machine ability :
- "Cannot be poisoned" (and plagued/drained) can be done as a racial attribute
- "Cannot be slowed or healed" cannot be donne unless you have unit with modified version of slowing/healing on the map
- "Cannot level" : just don't give hum any advancement
The repair Ability would be just a modified healing ability.
I just thought that we can add a new subtype, just like undead. Besides, I would like golems not to have names, just like undead.
Noyga wrote:About balancing ... well for example the entire faction will have trouble versus an army of woses. Having only impact and pierces doesn't help here. Maybe a fire golem (with a fire attack) would work here.
BTW it would be probably be a little boring because all allmost all the units are similar, especially the type of attacks.
True, but I don't want to create a faction that will have something against every other faction. In WWII there was a saying that the best tank is the one that balances between speed, armour and cannon the most. That's why Panthers and Tigers were the best tanks: they equally balanced between all properties and so were prepared fo everything. Creating such super balanced faction that can beat every other would make it extremely powerful and in consequence it would either be banned or everyone would play with it. I want to have faction that can really punish some units, but against others they are just plain puny.

To make it less monotonous, I might add blades to iron golems' hands to make a slash attack.

BTW: Didn't you guys discover that I was just editing and recoloring other units? Technically speaking, only about 10% is my own pixel art :oops:
I shot the Albatross.' "
peet

Post by peet »

supersonic wrote:I just thought that we can add a new subtype, just like undead. Besides, I would like golems not to have names, just like undead.
Well, you CAN set up new traits in your traits.cfg file. However, since it doesn't affect stats directly, it would be just a description, as far as I can see. Of course, I've only just started tinkering with BfW so there might be a way to do it...
supersonic wrote:
Noyga wrote:Having only impact and pierces doesn't help here. Maybe a fire golem (with a fire attack) would work here.
True, but I don't want to create a faction that will have something against every other faction.
Well, right now your artificer seems very weak, even for level 1. And he is expensive to boot. Perhaps his range attack should be lightning rather than impact. Also, I'd be inclined not only to increase his number of attacks in general, but also maybe you could make his drain attack only work on golems - it would fit with the concept if he was not only good at making them but also good at destroying them. Not sure how you could code that but there must be a way.
supersonic wrote:To make it less monotonous, I might add blades to iron golems' hands to make a slash attack.
I like that idea. Another idea would be to give the copper golem an electrical attack. It could be melee or ranged, your choice (I'd go with melee). Since copper is a great conductor it makes sense. Perhaps the copper golem is also vulnerable to lightning attacks.
supersonic wrote:
Noyga wrote:BTW it would be probably be a little boring because all allmost all the units are similar, especially the type of attacks.
BTW: Didn't you guys discover that I was just editing and recoloring other units? Technically speaking, only about 10% is my own pixel art :oops:
Well, it makes sense to modify it then! I agree that they look too similar. Here's what I would do:

1. Vary the sizes a bit - let the copper golem be the smallest, and the titanium the biggest
2. Change the shapes - make the Stone Golem more "rounded" and squat and the Iron Golem "spiky," perhaps.

That's my 2?¢. If you ignore it, you have only lost 2¢ so don't worry about it too much!

Peet
Kaldred

Post by Kaldred »

Hi, first excuse my english... i´m totally out of pratice *smiled*

I´d like the faction idea. I know you didn´t ask for art help but to practise pixel work with a useful effect is more funny.

I made 3 edits. The stone golem rounder and give him bigger fists and the iron golem more "robot" like with integratet sword in right hand in two versions, with and without spikes.

With the stone golem i´m happy but the iron one surely need tweakment =) Perhaps i can do it when i find some time.
I hope this will help you.
And please don´t critism them too hard. It´s my first pixel work.

edit: Some fixes on the golems
Attachments
stonegolem-edit2.png
stonegolem-edit2.png (3.18 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
irongolem-edit4.png
irongolem-edit4.png (3.03 KiB) Viewed 5508 times
irongolem-edit3.png
irongolem-edit3.png (3.06 KiB) Viewed 5514 times
Last edited by Kaldred on November 10th, 2006, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

The one with spikes looks a bit as if he was exposed to arrowshooting :D.
But the one without looks good. It's just that i'd like it to have swords instead of both hands so that it creates a feeling of symmetry. Besides, golems don't have grappling hands, they just have big, heavy bludgeoning balls on their fists.
Attachments
iron golem2.png
iron golem2.png (3.12 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
I shot the Albatross.' "
jg

Post by jg »

I like your art-work. On the last iron golem the left hand is messed up a little I think. It seems quite short IMO... (looking at it from the golem's viewpoint).

jg
TheLost1

Post by TheLost1 »

on hat last one, were you going for a "left in front" look?
The dragons are all colour-coded,
Some consider this system outmoded.
This was not preordained
Gary Gygax explained,
"My box of Crayolas exploded."
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Units that can't level? now you make neo sad :cry:
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Why are your units so expensive?

Decent job on the frankenstiened art, though.
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Don't cry neo... *pats neo's shoulder*