Cockatrice

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
borisblue

Post by borisblue »

Can we just have a new giant chicken monster instead?
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Master Stilgar wrote:I like Eternal's or Zookeeper's, but the others have too much of a mismatch between parts for my taste. I don't like monsters that look like someone just took a piece of one creature and glued it right onto something else without any concern for how it looks. (This is in reference to the appearance of the creature itself with that ridiculous green tail, not a complaint against frankensteined units.)
'Course, I meant only the good ones, or after the others have been polished. There were thirty minutes left before heading to work when I did mine, so had to cut corners to get the joke posted in time.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Note: The cockatrice is used in a scenario late in HttT; that's the only place it's used, AFAIK.

Decisions, decisions. :|

• The image you've made is superb, and is easily superior to the existing unit image. Some argue that it should become smaller, but we could actually make the level rather more interesting by giving the cockatrices a melee attack - I mean; we already have an attack icon for it.

• Personally, I had wanted to switch to a lizard "cockatrice". Essentially, "cockatrice" is a synonym for basilisk, and that's what I'd personally prefer to have. A small, but menacing-looking lizard. Confronted with this new art, though, it really makes me question that sentiment. As silly as the idea of a "giant chicken" is, this rendition actually makes it something other than comedic tripe.

And more than anything else, this is a rare, and exotic campaign unit, so it can be a bit goofy. If a regular unit on a faction were this strange, that would be bad, but this isn't a regular unit.

So, I guess the ball's in your court. If you want to continue with this design, I ask that you make a melee attack of the bird mauling something with its beak, in addition to the ranged attack that needs to be made. We'll probably give it a one-strike melee attack, something like 9-1.

The alternative would be making a lizardly version; just don't make a chitzy cross between the two.

I'm actually warming up to the "chicken" design, but I'd probably do two things if I were editing it:
• Remove the "gobbler"; the red dangly thing on the neck.
• Change the color from red to something else.
• Add more "fronds" - like the ones it has on its head, except to more places besides just the head.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Well, the traditional view* is really quite chimeric... I think Redeth and zookeeper are actually spot on with their jokes, since in the scenario they are termed as 'experiments' and should not necessarily be designed identically.
*Encyclopedia Mythica wrote:In heraldry the basilisk is represented as an animal with the head, torso and legs of a [censored], the tongue of a snake and the wings of a bat. The snake-like rump ends in an arrowpoint.

Steelclad Brian

Re: Size: It does not *need* to follow conventions...

Post by Steelclad Brian »

Kestenvarn wrote:In the scenario, cockatrices are the result of arcane experimentation, yes?

Would it be possible to randomly use more than one graphic for the same unit - say, all of the ones in this thread?

:D
I don't know about you guys, but I'm figuring out a way to shoehorn them into my campaign and implementing that. :P
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

I've always wanted to seperate the two: basilisk and cockatrice even though I know they are synonyms.

Cockatrice to me is a... well... a rooster with a lizard tail.

Basilisk to me is a more powerful than cockatrice, ancient looking lizard with more than 4 legs.

If one should ever make a basilisk for Wesnoth it should be something like I described above and not a level up for cockatrice or vice versa. IMO it should be just a different, more powerful monster with the same ability to stone with gaze.

NOTE! This is just my opinion. :)
Jetryl wrote:just don't make a chitzy cross between the two.
Is this chitzy?
Attachments
green feathers blend smoothly to the tail
green feathers blend smoothly to the tail
cockatrice2.png (2.95 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

They do look more unrealistic, but not better.
And those experimentations are great! I wonder who will use them as first as an avatar
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I think this is the best one so far.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Eternal wrote:I've always wanted to seperate the two: basilisk and cockatrice even though I know they are synonyms.

Cockatrice to me is a... well... a rooster with a lizard tail.

Basilisk to me is a more powerful than cockatrice, ancient looking lizard with more than 4 legs.
Most probably because that's how it was done in Dungeons & Dragons, making it a standard for imitations.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Its feathers shouldnt be white. Rather green, orange and some red. Other colours too, but only in small amounts. No white. And it should containt some of lizard or snake. Like 2nd pair of legs and a tail. And yellow eyes, and a tongue.

I started drawing, still im bad at it. :P

edit:

ouch, i forgot to read whole 2bd page.

I am after basilisk, and i'm about to post you my first draft on how would i like to see it. :)

We could have cockatrice advancing to basilisk. maybe getting additional blow to its stoning attack.

edit:

get impressed by my art :P
Last edited by kshinji on October 25th, 2006, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Really well done, but it looks really like a too large unit when you put it next too an existing unit.
ImageImage
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

zookeeper wrote:Image
Agreed, that one rocks. Avoids being just a giant chicken while not looking stitched together from disparate parts either.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Seeing the argumentation above, i feel i need to state, that i just wanted to isnpire someone with my version.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Noyga wrote:Really well done, but it looks really like a too large unit when you put it next too an existing unit.
ImageImage
Hmm...
I guess the cockatrice looks like to be taken seriously and the size adds to that... but I am quite unsure. :?
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eternal wrote:Image
I agree - this is great. I'd start animating.
Noyga wrote:Really well done, but it looks really like a too large unit when you put it next too an existing unit.
ImageImage
Noyga - using an out-of-date unit graphic like that is a terrible comparison. If you're going to compare it to anything, use the elvish fighter, or orcish grunt.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the size he's drawn the cockatrice at; nothing in the description of the creature prevents it from being a "large" creature. In fact I find that rather more interesting.