Most annoying in MP

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sombra

Most annoying in MP

Post by Sombra »

Hello playing Wesnoth multiplayer a lot recently and I love it. Still I wondered what other people consider the most annoying habbits .

Unfortunately I dont seem to be able to create a poll though just a list of things which come up to my mind:

- Player disconnects when he is losing without message or conceding defeat

- Player disconnects after just a few rounds because his battle results were bad even if the war is not lost already (team play)

- Your partner in 2 vs 2 gives you much unwanted advices

- Player spam the map with senseless comments

- Players start a game even if they dont have time to finish it. ´

- Players take an eternity to move their pieces

- I seem to play always with a worse player then myself

- I seem to play always with a superior player then myself

- Enemy accuses you of cheating because the game goes not his way

- Enemy complains all the time about his bad luck and tells you could never win without the luck you have

- Those damm OOS
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Most annoying in MP

Post by zookeeper »

Sombra wrote:- Player disconnects when he is losing without message or conceding defeat
Sombra wrote:- Players start a game even if they dont have time to finish it.
Definitely these two. Damn annoying. I haven't encountered the rest very often, and some not at all.
appleide

Post by appleide »

I'll add one.

-Observers clear all the labels when you are playing a scenario. (the Labels are added by scenario creator).
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Sauron

Post by Sauron »

appleide wrote:I'll add one.

-Observers clear all the labels when you are playing a scenario. (the Labels are added by scenario creator).
:shock: thought it is impossible if you're an observer - at least in 1.0.2 it used to be so... (Being proxified I cannot check it till saturday )

I myself move pretty slow and I do not mind opponents who move slow. These are usually much better ones than average [which does not mean I am good because I move slow too].

EDIT:
Remark regarding luck: as a beginner I were complaining about bad luck. When I grown up a bit I started seeing an adverse luck as an additional challenge and begun apologizing for my good luck. I think it is normal way a n00b grows up to be a normal wesnoth player - like all childhood diseases, one must go through luck whinning too (some are resistant and never get ill). It does not mean I changed my mind regarding l**k.
Last edited by Sauron on October 23rd, 2006, 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sauron
Customize yourself random factor in game:
GET my mod [available as C++ sourcecode and compiled Windows executable] for wesnoth 1.6.4
at http://saurons-mod.zor.org/
Mod thread
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26803
JW

Post by JW »

-noobs: arrogant, ignorant, annoying, lying, cheating, or disrespectful noobs.

note: new player =/= noob
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Most annoying in MP

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Bad ones:
Sombra wrote:- Player disconnects when he is losing without message or conceding defeat
- Player disconnects after just a few rounds because his battle results were bad even if the war is not lost already (team play)
- Players start a game even if they dont have time to finish it. ´
- Enemy accuses you of cheating because the game goes not his way
- Enemy complains all the time about his bad luck and tells you could never win without the luck you have
- Those damm OOS
Ones you should really learn to put up with:
Sombra wrote:- Your partner in 2 vs 2 gives you much unwanted advices
I count myself lucky when my ally has an opinion on strategy at all. :P
Sombra wrote:- Player spam the map with senseless comments
If you mean labels, you can just clear them, and you can also ignore them easily enough.
Sombra wrote:- Players take an eternity to move their pieces
You can set a time limit in games you host. Also, you should be patient if you're playing a turn based game in multiplayer.
Sombra wrote:- I seem to play always with a worse player then myself
- I seem to play always with a superior player then myself
Quite unavoidable. The other guy has that problem too, you know... ;)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elestel

Post by Elestel »

- Well, Windows has thinked wildly by itself you are wrong and wasting time, without your consent, and wreak some weird trick that wreck the game, wrathing you while you find the hammer or a wall for make some new windows, your partner sharp a window for use it like a war working guillotine, and the opponents try to not get warm the champagne in the wait for win, putting it in the window.
Ignacio Dadoverde Elestel
Nada es lo que parece, y lo que parece nada es...
Always there's more you can't see than you can...

Spanish translator of UTBS, TB, SPMPP
Gus

Post by Gus »

I understood absolutely nothing =S
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Elestel

Post by Elestel »

- Windows crashed
Ignacio Dadoverde Elestel
Nada es lo que parece, y lo que parece nada es...
Always there's more you can't see than you can...

Spanish translator of UTBS, TB, SPMPP
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

-I have a damn bad connection. Sometimes I can be on for the hour or so a good DotX game takes, with no trouble; other times, I'll be on for five minutes, it's a quick game, like when I'm playing a gryphon or Saurian, I'm winning, their goblin's almost dead, stakes are high, BANG my connection fails. Leaves me cussing at my computer for a good two minutes.

-I'm playing and my mom comes in going "Do your homework!" and I'm at the climax here, like it's on Clash and it's the crucial point, our team's about to pull ahead; I try to avoid it she's like "Do your homework now!" I end up having to quit and then I get back on later and see my ally and he just starts cussing me out, I'm going, "Dude, it wasn't my fault..."
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

The worst habits over mp:

* someone is whining about how other ppl annoy him
* someone takes game 100% or 0% seriously

And as the above, people who somehow spoil the game because of time - long turns, 'premature' leaving etc.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Anul

Another bad habit

Post by Anul »

I'll add another one bad habit:

Starting a match with 1000 gold for each player.

That kind of games will never end, I'm sure that it's going to finish in few turns with disconnection of host!!!
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

-Users of "u".
:twisted:
Mythological
Inactive Developer

Post by Mythological »

-players who ban you from their game when they start losing to you , then give your side to an observer or AI and the game continues like nothing happened - even worse if it's a team game
-players who do that to one of your allies and then give control to AI (or even worse - to themselves ) without you being aware what happened - fortunataly this is not possible in the latest versions of 1.1.x
-other kinds of abuse of host power
Theoretically, love is great
but it is a little bit different in practice.

Riblja Čorba - "I'll break your wings, aeroplane"
Never say never
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Rumble matches, with high gold, gpv and often xp are ok from time to time, but you have to play them with friends. They involve a bit different strategy - i dunno, probably i wouls\d still be losing these with most people here, but i enjoy them more. They take too much time tough.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.