A New Order.

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

viorc

Post by viorc »

torangan wrote:Don't forget to commit your changes to WesCamp soon, there are many translations in work for this campaign...
:oops:
Hey Toragan, I must say I do not understand clearly your point.
I do not change any dialog myself.
I make an "svn update" in the directory A_New_Order-po before each upload and I most of the time do not have anything new (I am currenly At revision 1179)
Can you be more specific on what I should do ? Thanks a lot (sorry but I am new to that).

I am certainly very happy for this campaign to have many translations on the way, I would not like to destroy their work from my ignorance :(
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

If you don't change any strings there's nothing else to do. If you change them, commit the changed files into the WesCamp repository. I just thought that there'd have been string changes in between.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
KRCM

Post by KRCM »

I killed both leaders in the previous scenario Leaving Raedwood if you mean that one. (Hired swords is with Lady Lorin) and the problem in scouting near Barnon is with Gawen/Haldric
Maintainer Elf War
szopen

Post by szopen »

KRCM wrote:I killed both leaders in the previous scenario Leaving Raedwood if you mean that one. (Hired swords is with Lady Lorin) and the problem in scouting near Barnon is with Gawen/Haldric
SPOILERS: press edit to see them

[size=0]
In Hired swords you don't have to kill both leaders. You can end with having Reumario at your side (with at least two methods available to achieve it - by finishing Reumario with Lorin you can show him your grace, or if you will kill Oyre with Lorin and you'll ask good questions).

If Reumario joins you, you can recruit Clanmember, Wiseman and Warrior.
If you allow Reumario to leave, you can recruit Clanmember
If Lorin slaughters a lot of Akladians (well, at least four), then she'll gain their respect and she can then recruit Clanmember (at least, this was my intention:) )

There should be no other option to have Akladians on recruit list at this stage.

Seems I forgot to disallow_recruit them then in 11x.cfg; Viorc kindly took over the maintenance so he may want to check it
[/size]

end of spoilers
viorc

Post by viorc »

szopen wrote:Seems I forgot to disallow_recruit them then in 11x.cfg; Viorc kindly took over the maintenance so he may want to check it
As I already said, this is fixed in version 0.8.6 8)
szopen

Post by szopen »

viorc wrote:
szopen wrote:Seems I forgot to disallow_recruit them then in 11x.cfg; Viorc kindly took over the maintenance so he may want to check it
As I already said, this is fixed in version 0.8.6 8)
AAaah silly me. I missed your edited message :)
grochti

Post by grochti »

Hello,
I finished your campaign yesterday (medium /wesnoth 1.1.12).
There is a bug in the last scenario, game crashes everytime one of your "former friends" kills a unit.
The story line made a particularly good impression on me. Most scenarios were fun.
The last ones (where you can recruit mages) are much to easy. Mages are chopping down every akkladian/undead oppostion in seconds.
I faced serious diffculties in beating the first level where Lady Lorin with support of underlings is fighting akkladians (low hp units against high damage dealers) & in the level fighting for a pass (differences in difficulty result from opponents recruitments mainly. Sometimes he recruits many darknites and Sturmnknights who are dealing a hell of a lot of damage. Sometimes he recruits wondermans who are more or less useless).
I did not understand the point in granting points for extra gold in the end, because you can harvest as much gold in the last level as you like.

I suggest to disallow ai reruitments of wisemen/holymen/wondermen. Any recruitment of such a unit by the ai is a waste of money.
Last scenarios should be more difficult imho, the two above mentioned ones could be easier.
I did not like the fact, that it is possible to run into undeads before being able to recruit mages. It should at least be possible to run away.
viorc

Post by viorc »

grochti wrote:Hello,
I finished your campaign yesterday (medium /wesnoth 1.1.12).
Thanks for reporting feedback
grochti wrote:There is a bug in the last scenario, game crashes everytime one of your "former friends" kills a unit.
I do not see clearly what you call "former friends". Is it any other team's Akladians or an opponent in particular ? Can you clarify that, in the meantime, I will have a look at the code to try to figure out what is happening.
grochti wrote:The story line made a particularly good impression on me. Most scenarios were fun.
The last ones (where you can recruit mages) are much to easy. Mages are chopping down every akkladian/undead oppostion in seconds.
I faced serious diffculties in beating the first level where Lady Lorin with support of underlings is fighting akkladians (low hp units against high damage dealers) & in the level fighting for a pass (differences in difficulty result from opponents recruitments mainly. Sometimes he recruits many darknites and Sturmnknights who are dealing a hell of a lot of damage. Sometimes he recruits wondermans who are more or less useless).
I did not understand the point in granting points for extra gold in the end, because you can harvest as much gold in the last level as you like.

I suggest to disallow ai reruitments of wisemen/holymen/wondermen. Any recruitment of such a unit by the ai is a waste of money.
I think the opposition of wondermen is quite a welcomed change. But probably the AI could be tweaked to use them more wisely. I already tried to change the AI behaviour in "Fighting for a pass" with WML but it is far from easy to define AI so that it has a consistant strategy !
For Lorin + Araiwaithi fighting Aladians see that thread.
grochti wrote:Last scenarios should be more difficult imho, the two above mentioned ones could be easier.
I assumed you played on normal. Bear in mind this campaign is supposed to be easy (according to what is said in the introduction). Still I think the last scenario is still too easy too. For example, I find it quite perturbing that Grekulak that is gathering half of the world under his power only have 330 gold while the local brigand boss has a sound 300 gold. Still any change here must start with fixing AI behavior, that is me mastering AI WML :?
grochti wrote:I did not like the fact, that it is possible to run into undeads before being able to recruit mages. It should at least be possible to run away.
That is very true. This change I am confident to be able to do it :)
Luke the Flaming

A Former Friend

Post by Luke the Flaming »

viorc wrote:
grochti wrote:There is a bug in the last scenario, game crashes everytime one of your "former friends" kills a unit.
I do not see clearly what you call "former friends". Is it any other team's Akladians or an opponent in particular ? Can you clarify that, in the meantime, I will have a look at the code to try to figure out what is happening.
Whenever an Undead kills a unit, it is transformed into a "Soulless" unit (whose name is always "A Former Friend") unless a White (or Light) Mage is adjacent to it.
Whenever "A Former Friend" kills another of your units, the game crashes.

A window appears stating that an error occurred, with the following details (maybe they'll be useful to you):
Program: C:\Wesnoth\wesnoth.exe
File: C:\Entwicklung\Wesnoth\...\unit_map.cpp
Line: 55

Expression: res.second

Please retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled.
O, Wind, if Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?
viorc

Re: A Former Friend

Post by viorc »

Luke the Flaming wrote:Whenever an Undead kills a unit, it is transformed into a "Soulless" unit (whose name is always "A Former Friend") unless a White (or Light) Mage is adjacent to it.

A window appears stating that an error occurred, with the following details (maybe they'll be useful to you)
Very useful. Thanks a lot.
Luke the Flaming

Feedback

Campaign completed.
Wesnoth version 1.1.11
"A new Order" version 0.8.6 (complete)
Difficulty: Medium.

I liked it.

Good plot: a "usual" idea revamped in an original way, due to some interesting characters (like Lorin) and unexpected events (like the epilogue).

Good gameplay: while I should play it several times to be able to judge the overall balance, I think that it is fine. Some missions are easier and some more difficult, but that's only fair (even if they do not necessarily go from easiest to hardest). I appreciate the "choose your way" mini-maps (and the chance to have dialogues with the villagers). I like how you can "interrogate" enemy leaders in most scenarios (even if it is sometime annoying to lose that chance as you have to kill the enemy with a normal unit rather than with a special character triggering the interrogation).

A doubt: I'm not sure that Akladians are perfectly balanced (I'm afraid they're a bit too impervious to damage); but they're probably fine as long as they're confined in this particular campaign.

A problem: there's no music. Or at least, I cannot hear it. I see a .RAW file called "music" was downloaded with the other files, but during the whole campaign I only heard the sound effects (the "music" option was enabled: I've zero problems with the mainline campaigns and with the other downloaded custom campaigns... only "A new order" is mute. It's a pity.)

Overall: very fine effort. Thanks for creating it.
Last edited by Luke the Flaming on October 22nd, 2006, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
szopen

Post by szopen »

Luke, please do edit out your message to remove the spoilers. Thank you for your feedback.
Luke the Flaming

Edited.
Do you prefer I remove it completely or is it fine as it is now?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Feedback

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Luke the Flaming wrote:...unexpected events (like the epilogue).
What, you didn't expect the epilogue? It was pretty obvious to me. :P
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
viorc

Re: Feedback

Post by viorc »

Luke the Flaming wrote:Whenever an Undead kills a unit, it is transformed into a "Soulless" unit (whose name is always "A Former Friend") unless a White (or Light) Mage is adjacent to it.

A window appears stating that an error occurred
I am trying to reproduce the problem but it is unsuccessful in wesnoth version 1.3. "Former friends" can kill my units and my units call be killed while attacking them without any crash. I will try with version 1.1.11
Would you have a save game of the situation just before the problem is happening ? Maybe some other factors are influencing.
Elvish Pillager wrote:
Luke the Flaming wrote:...unexpected events (like the epilogue).
What, you didn't expect the epilogue? It was pretty obvious to me. :P
That is a pity for people who have been on the forum for so many years, nothing from UMC can surprise them anymore :P.
I was bluffed too by the end I must say.