Wose Art discussion

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Split from Ideas Forum --Irrevenant

Somebody want to give me a clue about the new wose images? I've been out of the loop too long.
Last edited by joshudson on October 21st, 2006, 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

joshudson wrote:Somebody want to give me a clue about the new wose images? I've been out of the loop too long.
We're going to be going with the ones on the bottom of this:
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

The only problem I have with these images is that they look evil, and I always pictured them as being wise and lawful.

Oh yeah, I should have put like a [sarcasm] tag on my previous post. I didn't realize that people take my posts seriously.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Personally I am rather fond of the new menacing look.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Who says a wise, lawful guy can't be menacing?
hey.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Assasin wrote:The only problem I have with these images is that they look evil, and I always pictured them as being wise and lawful.
Lawful Evil... :twisted:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Xeron_

Post by Xeron_ »

you are all D&D addict :wink:
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

True that.

I mean, where is the steampunk, grim and noir love, eh?. Where?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Steampunk: See Gaslamp Elves. Or whatever they're called. Not mainline, for certain, though.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Flametrooper wrote:Who says a wise, lawful guy can't be menacing?
I said evil, not menacing. :wink:
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Ratha

Post by Ratha »

Im more fond of the old Wose sprite than what will be the new one, the reasons behind that being that the current Wose looks like it has 'gotten older/grown up' when it levels. The new one just looks like it gets bigger.

I suppose that dosnt provide a major distinction between the two or anything, but the the old one does look quite lawful, having that old-man look, while the new one looks like a gnarled root that is twist-off at the world. :P

The old Wose has a 'tending to nature' feel about it, where the new one is 'rip it, smash it, impale it' feel, granted this is a wargame, but the Wose own description says they are "utterly unwarlike" Though all this is of course without seeing it in action, or with any of the possible animations that may be headed our way in the future. Keeping the old unit and adding an 'angry/evil/gnarled wose' or something of the like might be interesting too.

Ratha
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Ratha wrote:The new one just looks like it gets bigger.
The new ones do have a distinctiveness problem - especially between L2 and L3. Perhaps the stance could be changed on one of them?
Ratha

Post by Ratha »

I wonder if the new Wose couldnt use a slight color shift to make it a bit more green like the old one, remove a bit of the pink in it, and the light colored bark. (make it more earthy?)

I think they all have their own unique qualities. The 4th row of Wose dosnt look quite as evil as the 5th row, but they look to all be by the same author, using the exact same pallet. (minus the original)

Ideally it would be interesting if the future if the game engine behind wesnoth could apply 'simple' shader techniques to slightly alter the colors/skins/clothing of each unit based on the traits they were given, or just at random. Knights with silver armor, or gold armor, or black armor say. Maybe even a slight RGB shift for a hint of variance between units. (Team colors?)

That would eliminate the need to animate the same sprite a thousand times with slightly different colors if such things were desired in the future. But would also require more graphics processing or cpu and make the game unfriendly to a lot of older/less capable machines.

Anyway, i like to throw out ideas, just ignore me if im stupid. :)
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Ratha wrote:...remove a bit of the pink in it...
Ratha wrote:Ideally it would be interesting if the future if the game engine behind wesnoth could apply 'simple' shader techniques to slightly alter the colors/skins/clothing of each unit based on the traits they were given, or just at random. Knights with silver armor, or gold armor, or black armor say. Maybe even a slight RGB shift for a hint of variance between units. (Team colors?)

That would eliminate the need to animate the same sprite a thousand times with slightly different colors if such things were desired in the future. But would also require more graphics processing or cpu and make the game unfriendly to a lot of older/less capable machines.
You crack me up.

Before answering, read this thread.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Maybe give the level 3 more "branches" and make the "leaves" cover more of its body, so that it looks like the "tree" "grows".