New attack buttons - scratchpad

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Jetryl wrote:• The human greatsword. Thinned "blood gutter", make the lighting more consistent (hilt lighting was previously in a different direction), and made the blade reflection more metallic. However something still doesn't look right to me, and so I offer this back to pekka to fix. I tried goofing with the perspective a bit, but I'm tired, and it's still not looking right. :( It might be the perspective, but I need to have another brain work on this.
My initial impression is that the handle is too short for a great-sword - it looks like a one-handed grip when a greatsword is used with two hands. Or I suppose it could be a perspective problem creating that impression.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Kestenvarn wrote:The top edge of the sword blade might be crooked. Don't much like the design of the guard, but that's probably not what you were thinking of.
Neither do I, and I'm the guy who drew it. As I said before, my skill at costume design is ... sketchy, at best (no pun intended). Furthermore, until recently, I had the peculiar ability to take the most extraordinary costumes, and make them look banally boring. Quite the opposite of wayfarer, that way - honestly, if you combine the two of us, you could have a monster.

If you combined the two of us with neoriceisgood (and fmuñoz, for good measure), we could swallow tanks and poop Schwarzenegger. rar =)

As it is, I have to settle for what I've got. :?

Sangel: yeah, those are valid points.

I'm really taking a long breather from this icon - in part so pekka is free to have at it.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

New image for an orcish "thrown" spear (e.g. crappy javelin). Revised image for orcish melee spear. New image for human javelin.

All of these have been committed, as has the animal-claws icon. Remember, the commit is not an "ultimate, final judgement" - pipe up if there's something you don't like (esp. pekka, who hasn't given me a go-ahead on the animal-claws edit).

P.S. - Turin, here's your pilum, as the human javelin.

kbaskins is doing the WML commit.
Attachments
javelin-orcish.png
javelin-orcish.png (2.99 KiB) Viewed 4416 times
spear-orcish.png
spear-orcish.png (4.23 KiB) Viewed 4418 times
javelin-human.png
javelin-human.png (2.57 KiB) Viewed 4416 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Tweaks to three existing drake icons. I was somewhat unpleased with the anatomy of the former two, and the fire breath was bad enough that I didn't even commit it.

I'm happy with them now, and have committed them, though I'm still open to further tweaks. BTW, thanks, pekka, for the ideas on the "slam" effect for the troll - they paid off, here. Perceptually, this blue doesn't look blue, but having the hint of that there really does help.
Attachments
fire-breath-drake.png
fire-breath-drake.png (8.35 KiB) Viewed 4265 times
slam.png
slam.png (7.03 KiB) Viewed 4265 times
claws-drake.png
claws-drake.png (6.21 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Jetryl wrote:I'm happy with them now, and have committed them, though I'm still open to further tweaks. BTW, thanks, pekka, for the ideas on the "slam" effect for the troll - they paid off, here. Perceptually, this blue doesn't look blue, but having the hint of that there really does help.
Whoa, ain't those new drake attack icons just great!? I liked them already a lot, but these new are certainly better. And about the "slam" -effect, yeah, a very little color/saturation shift makes big difference indeed.

Here is also an edit of the human great sword. A sword can be surpricingly difficult shape to model, especially from this dynamic angle. I hope there is some progress in the edit - personally I like it now. At least the first version of the sword is terrible. Now that I look at it, I hadn't even defined the direction of light properly - there seems to be multiple light sources and the reflections sucked.

Hehe.. here is also an edit of the animal claw icon. No big difference though, but new parts (couple of pixels) were hurting my eye, because the fur texture wasn't exactly the same than in the rest of the icon. Maybe I'm just a perfectionist and/or a little bit possessive of my own art, but it certainly isn't a major sin... :P
Attachments
claws4.png
claws4.png (6.12 KiB) Viewed 4236 times
evolution.gif
evolution.gif (4.6 KiB) Viewed 4235 times
greatsword.png
greatsword.png (4.53 KiB) Viewed 4235 times
kbaskins
Art Developer

Post by kbaskins »

Jetryl wrote:New image for an orcish "thrown" spear (e.g. crappy javelin). Revised image for orcish melee spear. New image for human javelin.

All of these have been committed, as has the animal-claws icon. Remember, the commit is not an "ultimate, final judgement" - pipe up if there's something you don't like (esp. pekka, who hasn't given me a go-ahead on the animal-claws edit).

kbaskins is doing the WML commit.
and
Jetryl wrote:Tweaks to three existing drake icons. I was somewhat unpleased with the anatomy of the former two, and the fire breath was bad enough that I didn't even commit it.

I'm happy with them now, and have committed them, though I'm still open to further tweaks. BTW, thanks, pekka, for the ideas on the "slam" effect for the troll - they paid off, here. Perceptually, this blue doesn't look blue, but having the hint of that there really does help.
Any unit files affected by these additions have been updated and committed.

--

Karen
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Committed the following:

Image Image

We still need:
• Ballista
• Troll Warhammer (BIG!)
• Wose Slam (the new sprites are clear enough to give an idea - it's essentially the fist that they're attacking with.
• Wooden Sword Edit
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

A 10 min job based on the new troll hammer sprite.
New more polish but it can be used meanwhile.
Attachments
hammer.png
hammer.png (5.77 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
hammer.xcf.zip
(10.47 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
vonHalenbach
Translator

spear-orcish.png

Post by vonHalenbach »

If i may say my critics, i want to say that i find the "spear-orcish.png" a bit too bright. It looks as if you took a photo of a spear under a very bright white light. Kind of overexposed. I would find that picture more pleasing if the wood was more brownish than white. (same color as the javelin-orcish.png)
The head of the spear could need a tweak in the darker direction too.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar PMed me a WIP for the Wose attack. It could use some work, although I'm not mired in thinking about what precisely it needs right now.

Pekka or anyone is encouraged to take a look at it.
Attachments
fist_wose_927.png
fist_wose_927.png (6.98 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Jetryl wrote:Eleazar PMed me a WIP for the Wose attack. It could use some work, although I'm not mired in thinking about what precisely it needs right now.

Pekka or anyone is encouraged to take a look at it.
It's the fingers... That's what bothers me. They look smooshed and flat.

As far as colors and shading go, though, it's excellent.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
JW

Post by JW »

It looks too human. Woses have a thumb and 4 fingers that close exactly like a human hand, and have tendons in their forearms that raise out exactly as a humans would?

Hmm...I don't know.

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

JW wrote:It looks too human. Woses have a thumb and 4 fingers that close exactly like a human hand, and have tendons in their forearms that raise out exactly as a humans would?
Count them: 1, 2, 3, fingers, and 1 thumb. And the "tendons" are just random bark lines i made. While it may be good to make it look less human, i don't believe it's remarkably more human that the current unit's hands.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
JW

Post by JW »

Eleazar wrote:Count them: 1, 2, 3, fingers, and 1 thumb.
Hmm...sorry. I mistook some of the brightness as a fourth finger. You're obviously right.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

They need stumps then :) , the sprite says there's something there, but doesn't necessarily say it is fingers. After all, i don't think they need very fine hand coordination, since they aren't going around picking things off the ground, right?.

EDIT: Alternativitely, make them look like roots.

Also, in before yakuza similarities.
Last edited by Cuyo Quiz on November 12th, 2006, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004