Standing and idle animations?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Boucman wrote: on a less techincal point of view, I think the metalic color of the magical teleporting ball isn't so good... you might want to try a mor "magicall blue" color
I agree. That cannonball like thing was not magical enough. Since i am now free from animating the mage, i can focus on the staff and the magic ball. I do the staff like it is now, and the magic ball with a bluish glow again.
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Wha..? What is it..? You want more?

Fine, more you shall get :P

I'll accept a round of C&C's for possible fixes before uploading the .zips
Attachments
there, there, good boy, wulfy!
there, there, good boy, wulfy!
wolf-rider-idle-animation-1.gif (14.48 KiB) Viewed 4206 times
at night, with a howling sound effect, wouldn't it be nice? ;D
at night, with a howling sound effect, wouldn't it be nice? ;D
direwolf-rider-idle-animation-1.gif (12.69 KiB) Viewed 4206 times
He-Man? No you dummy, he's just a Wesnoth Lieutenant :P
He-Man? No you dummy, he's just a Wesnoth Lieutenant :P
lieutenant-idle-animation-1.gif (6.84 KiB) Viewed 4204 times
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Lieutenant: unsure exactly what he's doing...but I noticed in the last couple of frames the sword hilt is twisted. All you would need to do to fix it is move the pommel a few pixels to the right.

Direwolf: can't see anything wrong with it. However the wolf's head may need some cleanup in the frames where he is stretched forward (do I detect usage of the rotate tool in there?).

Wolfrider: very cool. (For some reason the idea of a Goblin patting his toothy steed makes me wanno go "awwww". A good thing btw.)

Have I mentioned how much I love this thread?
Last edited by Zhukov on October 3rd, 2006, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Lieutenant: unsure exactly what he's doing...
He's yelling "Awhnawhd! Fawh Victawhy!" in a cheesy, yet heroic accent.

These are the best things ever. I might just start using Orcs for that Wolf Rider. Awwww.

- Chris
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

I never finished that drake, but I do have a sharpshooter WIP. I got the idea from the unit description.
Attachments
sharpshooter_stand.gif
sharpshooter_stand.gif (11.86 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
hey.
halleck

Post by halleck »

Flametrooper wrote:I never finished that drake, but I do have a sharpshooter WIP. I got the idea from the unit description.
Pretty clean but I cant really tell what the arrows are doing (Is one exploding?).
It needs transition frames badly.
Screw it... I can go without a sig.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

He shoots one arrow, then quickly shoots another arrow, hitting the first one in midair, shattering it. It's in his unit description. (I wonder if anyone ever realy reads those...)
halleck

Post by halleck »

Flametrooper wrote:He shoots one arrow, then quickly shoots another arrow, hitting the first one in midair, shattering it.
Ooh. I guess I should read before posting. Thats pretty cool but hard to execute.
Flametrooper wrote:(I wonder if anyone ever realy reads those...)
I know I dont...
Screw it... I can go without a sig.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The arrow would need to fly further, but I'm not sure we should do that - the idea behind the description (which I wrote, btw), was that he shot an opponents arrow out of the air. The serious issue with such an animation is that to make the "arrow catching up with the other arrow" look plausible, the arrows need to fly a long ways. So, two solutions:

• First, change it so that he's tossing an apple (or somesuch thing) up into the air, and shooting that instead.

• Second, have the animation be considerably larger than 72x72. The trick to making this work (I think) is that he (as in, his body) will need to remain centered in the larger canvas - the proportions of distances between specific parts of him (say, his feet), plus the distance from the center, will need to remain constant.

So, for example, if his left foot was currently 26 pixels from the right, then the distance in the larger canvas will need to be such that:

(26+10)/(x+10)=(21+15)/(c+15)

Choose an x arbitrarily, and solve for c. That's the jetryl method. :P The alternative is to just pick an bigger canvas size, and then ensure that all the frames are the same size (probably a good idea anyways, given that our engine is well-optimized to ignore unused pixels), and that in the first frame, the image is centered relative to the base frame, by trial and error. I haven't actually tried this, I've got to snag a new version of SVN and check.

This centering correction can be applied later, so for now I'd just suggest picking whatever size is large enough to make the animation look good, and make it look good on that. We can fix it later.

All of this hinges on whether or not standing animations can go out of the hex, which boucman might have stated earlier. Can't remember. :roll:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Some ideas for improvement...

Lieutenant: it's not very clear what he's doing. I think this is due to two things: he looks at his sword when he brings it down in the beginning, which IMHO should be replaced with him either having him not turn his head at all. He also doesn't raise his sword quite high enough, although I think you made it this way because of running into the 72x72 wall. I think we can now use >72x72 images in animations, so you could break that wall. The lieutenant should lean more to his left and really raise his sword about as high as he can manage. As an added bonus, he could return to his normal stance by twirling the sword in a fancy manner instead, but I don't think that's so important (you might be able to get some useful frames from the swordsman for this though).

Sharpshooter: I'd also suggest him to shoot something like an apple. Have him dig up an apple with his right hand and throw it in the air and have him shoot that. The arrow should just continue flying after it chops the apple in half, with the apple pieces falling to the ground, so you'll need indeed to make the animation >72x72. Something that allows you to draw about two frames of the arrow's path after it has passed the apple should be fine (if we need more than that, it's pretty easy to do in the committing phase - I can do that if no one else wants to). He should also raise the bow much slower (he can do that while he's throwing the apple), now that part of the animation is rather jerky.

Direwolf rider: very good. Maybe the goblin could cover his ears (a direwolf would howl and growl pretty loud I'm sure, probably too loud for a goblin anyway). And the howl could last a bit longer (and have a few extra frames for that where the wolf stretches himself a liiittle bit more).

Wolf rider: awesome. :D
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

IAt first when i looked at sharpshooter, i tought he shoots to the air, piercing the sky what results in a small rain. ;-P The only thing i couldnt figure out was why there is something strange in one frame before the arrow pierces the sky and the rain falls. When i realised its second arrow, i realised whats the whole animation as well.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
khamul

Post by khamul »

Re: Direwolf Rider

Dogs and Wolves open their mouths when howling: a google image search ("dog howling") turned up a good 10-12 examples for me. The shape of the mouth should still change - the cheek comes forward to hide the fangs that are visible in the static pose.

To me, because the wolf drops his tail and leans forward, he looks a bit stretched - could you push the rear of the direwold up slightly, as if the wolf is stretching, and arching his back (concave) a s[he] howls.

Otherwise great - and the wolfrider animation is just fantastic.
If life gives you Lions, Make Lionade.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

if the liutenant moves his sword to the right (pointing at an enemy) instead of going above, the animation could be used as leadership or an order of "charge"

The wolves are awesome, and the orc patting the head is one of the best animations I saw this far :)

About the sharpshooter breaking arrows, you could always make him shoot an arrow to break an upcoming projectile (non magic) and use it as a defense animation against ranged attacks.

Worst case scenario you could use the liutenant animation as a sign of "I'm charging my sword with the power of thunder" for any campaing for oficial wesnoth or similar "By the power of GreySkull!!! I Have the Powerrrrr!" He-man.

Between, Im' not sure if the shadow of the liutenant should change a bit while he makes the animation, because I'm looking at it as the Street Fighter shadow bug that no matter how the characters did, they always had the same shadow form in the ground and that rest style to the game in the long run =/

Last, Great work!
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Vendanna wrote:About the sharpshooter breaking arrows, you could always make him shoot an arrow to break an upcoming projectile (non magic) and use it as a defense animation against ranged attacks.
NO! This is not supposed to be something they normally do - otherwise it wouldn't be a legend, it would be a fact. Not only that, but this would be nigh-impossible to make work well in-game.

Do not do this.

zookeeper wrote:Have him dig up an apple with his right hand and throw it in the air and have him shoot that.
Have him pull one out of his pocket. I fear when you use words like "dig up", that someone (not redeth, bright chap that he is, but someone else) is going to try having the sharpshooter "dig up" an apple from the ground.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Jetryl wrote:
zookeeper wrote:Have him dig up an apple with his right hand and throw it in the air and have him shoot that.
Have him pull one out of his pocket. I fear when you use words like "dig up", that someone (not redeth, bright chap that he is, but someone else) is going to try having the sharpshooter "dig up" an apple from the ground.
Good clarification. Now that I think of it, the fear might very well have been perfectly justified...