Northern Rebirth and SotBE Portriats Needing Color

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

More, later - I've made game-ready images, but I'm also giving you the full-body versions in case you've got a use for them.
Attachments
camerin.jpg
camerin.jpg (69.43 KiB) Viewed 5894 times
camerin.png
camerin.png (44.06 KiB) Viewed 5894 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Etc.

With regards to the styles of portraits in UMCs, I consider "A well done portrait NOT in the favored style" better than "A poorly-done portrait in the favored style", or "no portrait".

On a side note (for Taurus), Xander's name was Magdelena Miñko, which leads me to suspect that he was actually a "she".
Attachments
elenia.jpg
elenia.jpg (50.15 KiB) Viewed 6974 times
elenia.png
elenia.png (44.4 KiB) Viewed 6975 times
Last edited by Jetrel on October 1st, 2006, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

And finally, Anita. I am not doing the Kapou'e portrait, since that one needs some major "detail flesh-out" work and I have other things to do for 1.2.

As for this drawing, I can't be held accountable for the totally whack construction around the hip area. Basically, the body is constructed correctly, but the chest costuming that hangs over the crotch hangs at a very wrong angle, and is very mis-foreshortened. To fix that, I'd have to redraw much of the portrait, and it's really not worth it because we can just crop it for in-game use. This is the one of these drawings that I'm least fond of.

:) Anyways, this was fun, and good practice, to do three quick "rush job" colorings - a welcome diversion from doing sprites 10 days of the week. I hope you like how these turned out.
Attachments
anita.jpg
anita.jpg (50.95 KiB) Viewed 6972 times
anita.png
anita.png (46.96 KiB) Viewed 6974 times
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Proper stuff, Jetryl, though I'm suprised you didn't try to fix Elenia's raised arm, which need about 50% more length. Something like this:
Attachments
cart4_648_871.png
cart4_648_871.png (9.5 KiB) Viewed 6955 times
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:Proper stuff, Jetryl, though I'm suprised you didn't try to fix Elenia's raised arm, which need about 50% more length. Something like this:
I'd give some snappy comeback about "unless the forearm is at an angle towards us, and thus foreshortened," but something seems to be funky.

:) Thanks for the heads-up; I'll look into it.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Wow! Thanks Jetryl, those are really good! Thanks also for the effort vonHalenbach. Keep it comming.
Zhukov wrote:I remember when these got posted! Heh, I also remember there was the usual bickering about one having a skimpy top.
Yeah, that was Sisal. I'll attach the image anyway and if someone wants to put some more cloths on her then I could use her.

About the Kapou'e portrait, it's ok. Like Zhukov said, I already have a portrait, but I was kind of hoping for something a little more 'heroic' looking. As it is, that one ins't my favorite. If someone could do whattever needs to be done to the one I posted I would rather use that.

Anyhow, thanks agan Jetryl. I owe you one.
Attachments
Here is Sisal, a lady elvish Avenger. She is brave feroicous and willing to fight to the death if necessary.
Here is Sisal, a lady elvish Avenger. She is brave feroicous and willing to fight to the death if necessary.
cart2_396.png (47.5 KiB) Viewed 6906 times
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ok, I'll take back some of what I said - these properly coloured versions, especially when cropped to only show the chest-and-above parts, are rather neat. Not the standard portrait style I like, sure, but these bother me a whole lot less than I thought they would. :)
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Jetryl wrote:unless the forearm is at an angle towards us, and thus foreshortened
I don't see that there is anything really supportin foreshortening. To be shortened that much, the hand should be at about 45 degree angle, and then we should see the back of the hand, on the elbow joint the forearm part would be occluding the upper arm part, and the upperarm would make the shoulder strap of the... bikini top thingy bend differently. Then there is the position of the head: When people look at something to their side, they don't turn their head pointing it, but only about half-way there, and make the rest of the turn with their eyes. Her head is turned pretty far, therefore she must be looking pretty much directly to the side.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Wow. Jetryls colorings were one hundred times better than mine. Jetryl you are truly an artist.

I had fun too, to colorise those. It was a good practise for me, so not wasted.
My colorised Camerin is now my new Background picture for a while.
battlesquid

Post by battlesquid »

Nice job on the shading Jethryl. Even though I didn't like the drafts very much I now see why you did. You probably imagined how they'd look with colors and shading :P
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Please don't necro this far back.... You could have PMed him to express your approval....
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Just for the sake of keeping these images in one place, I am poasting them here. These are images done by Xandar for Northern Rebirth which need some coloring. I think they are great and would really like to use them, so anyone is welcome to give them their best shot.
Attachments
Hidel
Hidel
hamel_543.png (73.83 KiB) Viewed 6384 times
A Lich - Ro Arthian preferably...
A Lich - Ro Arthian preferably...
li_102.jpg (128.85 KiB) Viewed 6384 times
Father Marcus - A white mage
Father Marcus - A white mage
marcus_168.png (86.51 KiB) Viewed 6385 times
Sister Theta - Another White Mage
Sister Theta - Another White Mage
si_628.jpg (148.84 KiB) Viewed 6387 times
Tallin, the 'hero' of the story.
Tallin, the 'hero' of the story.
ta_172.jpg (143.67 KiB) Viewed 6383 times

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Just a few more...
Attachments
Tallin gone evil
Tallin gone evil
ta2_170.jpg (193.64 KiB) Viewed 6376 times
Rakshas, the big bad Orc.
Rakshas, the big bad Orc.
or_356.jpg (196.61 KiB) Viewed 6379 times

creepydrawings

Post by creepydrawings »

I think the colored elenia portrait looks excellent.
Bander

Post by Bander »

Wow, these are excellent! I particularly like the 2 pics of the hero with the sword and the braid, the orc and the hooded priest. I only wish that their feet weren't cropped off! Any way to do that?

These pictures are at the nexus of confident line work and conceptual inspiration. Well done!