Gryphon Mountain - What?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Gryphon Mountain - What?

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Every time I start Gryphon Mountain (easy difficulty), no matter what I do, the Mother Gryphon flies out and gets killed by the enemy cavalry. To add injury to insult, I don't get her eggs! That's even when I move my Elvish Archer to the keep with the eggs in it. Reaching the keep should be the goal, not killing the mother. (The mother should also not leave her eggs unguarded, of course.)
Shade

The AI

Post by Shade »

The AI has went through a major update in the .7.7 & .7.8 upgrade cycle. It's good that you pointed this out. Maybe a dev with CVS access should set the passive flag on mother gryphon. . . or set the keep to be the goal. . . When I played this scenario many moons ago I missed the eggs the first time as well. You can a) replay or b) cheat, hack your save game file so you get the gryphons.
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

What version of the game are you playing? This should be fixed in 0.7.8

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Elvish_Pillager

I'm playing in 0.7.7. How does it work in 0.7.8?

Also, what's the reward for getting the eggs? Does Konrad get to ride a gryphon, or is it just something simple like recruiting Gryphon Riders?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I'm playing in 0.7.7. How does it work in 0.7.8?
The gryphon mother doesn't move off her starting position. The first side to kill her gets the eggs.
Elvish Pillager wrote: Also, what's the reward for getting the eggs? Does Konrad get to ride a gryphon, or is it just something simple like recruiting Gryphon Riders?
You get to recruit gryphon riders.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Elvish_Pillager

I have Mac OS 10.3. How do I get 0.7.8? I've downloaded it in "Downloads" on this site, but there's no application or obvious way to get one.
Last edited by Elvish_Pillager on May 29th, 2004, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
miyo

Post by miyo »

http://wiki.wesnoth.org -> WesnothBinaries

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

Elvish_Pillager

That's the same thing I downloaded earlier. Where's the application?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Odd. It worked perfectly fine for me. Perhaps you got a corrupted download?

It should arrive as a .dmg, which, when mounted, contains all the Wesnoth files. You can then drag these into a folder of your choice, or simply play as is.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Elvish_Pillager

Well, I found a different link to a download site, which actually ends in .dmg. Hopefully this will work.
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Just finished Death Valley yesterday with a bit of luck and saved games (attacked south and east, sent champions to the holy water vials, sent the western champion north along with some of the eastern force to get the northern lich while my southern force turned back to fight the forces from the northern base at approx. the position where the player's starting keep is. Not bad a tactic, but I really should try to stop using saved games.. *sigh*).

During my first attempt at Gryphon Mountain I thought the Gryphons would hold out a while against enemy attack so I went for villages and avoided the centre, making for the keep and enemy units in my way. The gryphon mother died much, much faster than I had expected her to, so I lost that but I managed to get to the general rather easily.

Now (second attempt) my plan is to go through the centre using mostly rangers, with riders or knights holding the passes nw and se and getting to the villages.. I have not much money left, though.. less than 200.

-edit- Perhaps a suggested starting amount of money per level / example of force recruited and leveled is useful.. in a separate text file? Just a thought. At this time I seem to be losing money every mission (since Crossroads).
Elvish_Pillager

My strategy is to go up the right side of the map with a strike force including Konrad, while Delfador and Kalenz sneak into the middle to kill the mother gryphon.
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Dave wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:I'm playing in 0.7.7. How does it work in 0.7.8?
The gryphon mother doesn't move off her starting position. The first side to kill her gets the eggs.
Heh.. oddly that's just what I did experience the second attempt at mastering the scenario (yes, version 0.7.8 ). The first time she didn't move. The second time, however, she moved to a village in the first round (and kept moving about thereafter).
Drooling Iguana

Post by Drooling Iguana »

I managed to do it by sending a strike force consisting of two outriders and two shydes straight toward the mother gryffon. She went down fairly easily.