[Historical] Son of the Black Eye Updated!

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vonHalenbach
Translator

Translations were missing in 1.1

Post by vonHalenbach »

Can you add the translations? The translation folder is completly empty. :(
For me it is no problem to make the right folders in .wesnoth/data/campaigns/Son_Of_The_Black_Eye/translations

i just have to add /de/LC_MESSAGES/ and put the file wesnoth-Son_Of_The_Black_Eye.mo

from the Berlios-server into it, but other people may be not able to do that.

When you are at it you can delete the file "changelog.txt" because it is not needed anymore.

Greetings
Stefan
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

I just sent a letter to torangan for conformation, but I am almost positive that those transalations on berlios.de are for the old "mainline" version of wesnoth. Since I changed much of the strings it is mostly useless for my campaign. I will have to upload a new version of it on berlios.

Thanks for reminding me :)
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Taurus wrote:I just sent a letter to torangan for conformation, but I am almost positive that those transalations on berlios.de are for the old "mainline" version of wesnoth. Since I changed much of the strings it is mostly useless for my campaign. I will have to upload a new version of it on berlios.

Thanks for reminding me :)
Good point! :)

I am working on knitting out some deprecated tags from your units. When im done, i post them here.
There are some wrong filenames of the sounds in there too. I am searching for sword-swish.wav
There is none, it seems. :o

greetings
stefan

Edit: I have just seen, that one year is gone since you picked up SotBe! I hope you have celebrated it a bit. 8)
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Here are my (slightly) reworked units. I had to start the game often, to test. I am a WML beginner, so it was no easy task for me. I have made the improvements just with Kapoue_Leader, and after i saw it worked, i copy and pasted to the other units. You may want to see for yourself.

I hope this was not useless.
As i said before there were some sound and picture files missing, because they were renamed or not made yet. The units were redesigned with a clean skeleton to make improvements in the future a bit easier.

Greetings
Stefan
Attachments
units-SotBe-SvH.tar.gz
Improved units.
(2.55 KiB) Downloaded 410 times
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

The units are awesome. Thanks alot vonHalenbach. It was just one of those little things that you never got around to. Anyhow, I went ahead and added them to the campaign and they will be up on the server the next time I make a release. It might be a while, but along with your new units, I might have a few new soundtracks and possibly a transalation or two.

About celibrating - it didn't even cross my mind. Thanks for reminding me, I am going to buy myself a big fat chocolate bar tommorow. :wink:
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Taurus wrote: About celibrating - it didn't even cross my mind. Thanks for reminding me, I am going to buy myself a big fat chocolate bar tommorow. :wink:
Thats a good idea :!: :lol:
Taurus wrote: The units are awesome. Thanks alot vonHalenbach. It was just one of those little things that you never got around to. Anyhow, I went ahead and added them to the campaign and they will be up on the server the next time I make a release. It might be a while, but along with your new units, I might have a few new soundtracks and possibly a translation or two.
Cool ! I must say, that i have just corrected the WML a bit, to be more conforming with the new 1.1 Standard, nothing more. Because i am a newbie to WML, i use that as a good opportunity to dive into the WML. Try and fail at best. :D I like this campaign very much, and like to see it going into the official distribution of BfW 1.2.

One thing i have seen to be changed in the scenario.cfg's is the music=foobar.ogg tag. It should be changed to:

Code: Select all

[music]
name=foobar.ogg
[/music]
greetings
stefan[/quote]
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

vonHalenbach wrote:Here are my (slightly) reworked units. I had to start the game often, to test. I am a WML beginner, so it was no easy task for me. I have made the improvements just with Kapoue_Leader, and after i saw it worked, i copy and pasted to the other units. You may want to see for yourself.
The orcish leader line is in mainline nowadays - in the standard data/units - so you shouldn't need to include these custom .cfg's for Kapoue or other orcish leaders. However, it might be a good idea to look at the mainline ones and compare them with what you had done: there were some things that weren't really right with your animation definitions. As a general rule when writing animation WML, looking at mainline units that have a similar attack and imitating the WML used should yield good results (especially if you're just learning the stuff). There's also a sticky in the faction and era contributions forum about updating 1.0.2 animations and stuff to 1.1.x/1.2.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

zookeeper wrote:
vonHalenbach wrote:Here are my (slightly) reworked units. I had to start the game often, to test. I am a WML beginner, so it was no easy task for me. I have made the improvements just with Kapoue_Leader, and after i saw it worked, i copy and pasted to the other units. You may want to see for yourself.
The orcish leader line is in mainline nowadays - in the standard data/units - so you shouldn't need to include these custom .cfg's for Kapoue or other orcish leaders. However, it might be a good idea to look at the mainline ones and compare them with what you had done: there were some things that weren't really right with your animation definitions. As a general rule when writing animation WML, looking at mainline units that have a similar attack and imitating the WML used should yield good results (especially if you're just learning the stuff). There's also a sticky in the faction and era contributions forum about updating 1.0.2 animations and stuff to 1.1.x/1.2.
Yes, that is it what i have done to update those units. I have learned from the mainline units. I don't have sayed, that those were perfect or something. More improvements will follow in the future. Reduction of those annoying warnings was my wish.
Thank you for pointing me to that link zookeeper! I will learn from it as well.
Greetings
Stefan
Warhangel

Post by Warhangel »

I start SotBe v1.1 with BfW v1.1.9 and found a bug - Kapoue don't have "attack icon" for his melee attack :(

And Kapoue "attack icon" for his ranged attack is "bow", not "orcish bow" :(
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

:) I'm about to download this and give it a whirl. Always wanted a Orc campaign.
Taurus, do you still want problems/suggestions/misc thoughts or are you past that stage?
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Warhangel wrote:I start SotBe v1.1 with BfW v1.1.9 and found a bug - Kapoue don't have "attack icon" for his melee attack :(

If you want, you can try the modificated units! I have fixed them. units-SotBe-SvH.tar.gz
Warhangel

Post by Warhangel »

vonHalenbach wrote:
Warhangel wrote:I start SotBe v1.1 with BfW v1.1.9 and found a bug - Kapoue don't have "attack icon" for his melee attack :(

If you want, you can try the modificated units! I have fixed them. units-SotBe-SvH.tar.gz
I already modified them ;) by adding "icon=attacks/sword-orcish.png". But I think this simple bug in "completed" campaing - it is not good :(
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

There are more things, that i fixed in the units. It would be the easiest thing to use them.
Warhangel

Post by Warhangel »

Very nice modification :)
Thanks.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I only recently started to play this campaign, and I must say I now like the orcs much more after I have played them myself.

Few thoughts about the scenarios:

End of peace: otherwise pretty ok, but the map suffers the "keep in the corner syndrome", also known as "the map border is not a geographical feature." The enemy keep is in the map corner, and thus can only be approached from one direction. If this was ment to be the case, then I would suggest putting some unpassable terrain around it rather than the map edge.

Toward Mountains of Haag: Ok.

Siege of Barag Gór: Pretty nice scenario. It seems hopeless at beginning, with so many strong enemie leaders. A typo in the dialogue: "flee-bag" should be "flea-bag".

Harbour of Tirigaz: I think it was said already be someone else, but you really should get the undead in the story somehow. Again "keep in the corner".

Black Flag: The suprise attack from one of the ships was a nice touch.

Desert of Death: This doesn't fit in the story in any meaningful way. The desert is different from the other terrains, and nothing that touches the plot happens here.

Silent Forest: Pretty ok.

Shaun Taum the Smug: It's a good change to put the player on the defence for a change.

Saving Inarix: It was somewhat confusing when the objective was to get the Saurians across, but they are nowhere to be seen at the start. Maybe it should be made more clear in the dialogue that they are still on their way. Otherwise a nice campaign, it takes very careful tactical thinking to accomplish.

Clash of Armies: Pretty good, but the death animations of the enemy armies in the end looked goofy. I think it would be better to make them disappear without the animations.

Giving some Back: Streetfighting, my favourite!

The Dwarfish Stand: It was really frustrating at first, until I figured out that the assasins move fast in snow.

Back Home: It was nice that instead of having to cross the map to get to the enemy, they were right there and the player has to throw the units into the battle right away, making the recruiting order the most important tactical decision. Otherwise, there wasn't all that much to do, the battle mostly just took care of itself. Maybe the allies should be a bit weaker.

Civil War: This scenario was way too boring and tedious. Winning wasn't terribly challenging, the enemy gets so spread out that one has to take them out one by one, with little more fighting at the keeps. maybe the real challenge is to end with any money left, my first strategy, recruiting two teams to attack the southeast and northwest keeps simultanously and then combine to attack the last one ended up with -650 of gold in my war chest. Maybe there are better strategies, but honestly, the scenario was so boring that I can't be bothered to try it again.

The Coward: Another boring scenario. Was it really necessary to make the map so huge? Now, once the enemy gets to recruit lots of units, the player just spends most of her time getting seasick watching the big map scroll back and forth. Such a big map would be more interesting if it was made up of large features with important strategic points, rather than a patchwork of small features, uniform in large scale. Also, a lesser enemy boss with a small keep in the center as an intermediate objective would help to keep up player's attention up. Once you would overtake that, it would be possible to recruit your forces much closer to the big enemy keep.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.