Age of Wesnoth Players

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How old are you?

12-15
18%
16-19
22%
20-23
18%
24-27
17%
28-31
10%
32-35
6%
36-39
5%
40+
5%

Total votes: 730

Oreb

Post by Oreb »

With the majority of this poll being miscorrrect information. Who is up for someone, maybe turin (since he made the original). To have a more up to date version of what you average wesnoth player's age is
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

I could write a php script, that would be taking birth dates from players, and removing their votes each birthday, making them have to vote again.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

BTW, I've been wondering about something... AFAIK, age is always calculated like this: when you are born, you are 0 years old. On the first anniversary of your birth, you turn 1 year old. So, if you have been alive for more than one year but less than two years, you are 1 year old.

However, I've heard (don't rememebr where) that in some places you are "one year old" once you are born, you turn two on the first anniversary of your birth, etc... in other words, you round age up rather than down. In that system, I would be 17. But does any country actually use that system, or was I misinformed?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

turin wrote:BTW, I've been wondering about something... AFAIK, age is always calculated like this: when you are born, you are 0 years old. On the first anniversary of your birth, you turn 1 year old. So, if you have been alive for more than one year but less than two years, you are 1 year old.

However, I've heard (don't rememebr where) that in some places you are "one year old" once you are born, you turn two on the first anniversary of your birth, etc... in other words, you round age up rather than down. In that system, I would be 17. But does any country actually use that system, or was I misinformed?
Another thing on this age thing is, there is a difference between the age needed to be in a grade.

Lets take turin for example he is 16, and most likely in grade 10.

If I was 16 I would be in grade 11, because Australain schooling starts earlier then American.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

It is just the difference or custom from saying "this is your first year of life" and "you have lived you first year through".

Sometimes there is confusion on mathematics about this, but one isn't one until it is one, right?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

My main point in asking this is to make sure that when someone else says they are 16, and I say I am 16, we are actually the same age - not I am one year older than him, and so by my count he is 15, and by his count I am 17.

(BTW, I'm a senior. 12th grade. But that's not really normal.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

turin wrote:My main point in asking this is to make sure that when someone else says they are 16, and I say I am 16, we are actually the same age - not I am one year older than him, and so by my count he is 15, and by his count I am 17.

Yes, that isn't normal, I'm guessing your so smart that you got put up a few grades?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Oreb wrote:
turin wrote:My main point in asking this is to make sure that when someone else says they are 16, and I say I am 16, we are actually the same age - not I am one year older than him, and so by my count he is 15, and by his count I am 17.

Yes, that isn't normal, I'm guessing your so smart that you got put up a few grades?
I was 16 and in the 12th grade. But that wasn't so abnormal, at least not in New South Wales. I also graduated from university at 20.

Isn't it possible to start one's senior year at 16, finish at 17, and start college at 17 in the US?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
scott

Post by scott »

Dave wrote: Isn't it possible to start one's senior year at 16, finish at 17, and start college at 17 in the US?

David
Yes. If your birthday is close to the cutoff date (1 Dec on the East coast and 1 Sep elsewhere, generally) then you will have started your first year of college before turning 18.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Werent chinese people counting age from the estimated beginning of preganancy, making everyone 9month in the moment of birth?
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Dave wrote:I was 16 and in the 12th grade. But that wasn't so abnormal, at least not in New South Wales. I also graduated from university at 20.
So you start school when you're four years old? Wierd.
The World of Orbivm
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

turin wrote:
Dave wrote:I was 16 and in the 12th grade. But that wasn't so abnormal, at least not in New South Wales. I also graduated from university at 20.
Umm.. thats NSW for you. Usually people in NSW when they are in grade 10 and move to QLD they got to grade 9.

And just something for Dave since this is something he would remember: State of Origin, now 25 years and QLd is winning
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:
Well, some people start when they are four, some people start when they are five. I was actually born on the cut-off date.
Oreb wrote: State of Origin, now 25 years and QLd is winning
*Shrug* Rugby League is such a boring sport....

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Dave wrote:
Oreb wrote: State of Origin, now 25 years and QLd is winning
*Shrug* Rugby League is such a boring sport....

David
Your just saying that because your 'old' team is losing :P

Anyway, how could Grid Iron replace Rugby League? I'd prefer broken bones and alot of blood anyday, compared to tonnes of armour.
appleide

Post by appleide »

turin wrote:BTW, I've been wondering about something... AFAIK, age is always calculated like this: when you are born, you are 0 years old. On the first anniversary of your birth, you turn 1 year old. So, if you have been alive for more than one year but less than two years, you are 1 year old.

Umm, this system is japanese.

Turin: How did you get to 12th grade? I am in the 11th grade and I am most of a year older than you. :shock: Must've been a genius or something.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.