Devel campaign server cleanup

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: New Proposal : BfW 1.02 Gold Edition

Post by zookeeper »

JW wrote:Why are you scared? 1.2 is going to be the new 1.0 - i.e. the new stable branch...

1.0 will be useless once 1.2 is released.
I think the point was that some people will still prefer 1.0.2 to 1.2.

But anyway, I guess it could be nice to archive the good old 1.0.2 campaigns from the campaign server to some downloadable archive(s). Some are working but are not ported to 1.2 (Liberty for example, right?), so preserving such campaigns makes sense. Luckily, anyone can do this by just downloading them from the server, archiving them and providing a link to them (I'd guess we can host them somewhere on the site then, if people really want that).
JW

Post by JW »

zookeeper wrote:
JW wrote:Why are you scared? 1.2 is going to be the new 1.0 - i.e. the new stable branch...

1.0 will be useless once 1.2 is released.
I think the point was that some people will still prefer 1.0.2 to 1.2.
-and my point is that some people may have preferred 0.8 or 1.1.2a, or whatever. Wesnoth will always be upgrading...being afraid of that is just foolish.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

works in 1.1.9:
* Invasion of Arendia
* Ilayin the Illusionist
Last edited by vonHalenbach on September 10th, 2006, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

JW wrote:
zookeeper wrote: I think the point was that some people will still prefer 1.0.2 to 1.2.
-and my point is that some people may have preferred 0.8 or 1.1.2a, or whatever. Wesnoth will always be upgrading...being afraid of that is just foolish.
My point is that 1.02 has 39 MB download size and 1.2 would have maybe 80 MB and is much slower than 1.02. People with an old computer like me may prefer 1.02 even if you think they are all foolish. When you have a 3 GHz computer you don't have to care about that.

Greetings
Stefan
JW

Post by JW »

I said being afraid is foolish, not personal tastes.

Also, if you have an outdated computer you will suffer the consequences in pretty much every aspect you use it for other than word processing.

Just some thoughts. This is also getting OT, so start a new thread if you want to continue talking about it.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

ivanovic wrote:3) Clean download numbers. The stats are not only high because the campaign already exists for ages but because it was downloaded most often in the 1.2 time.
Aww, but then IoA looses it's close to 10,000 downloads (I haven't been able to check recently) and spot at the top of the campaign server.

On a more serious note, is there a way of not deleting IoA, as I wouldn't be able to re-upload for another two-weeks from now (Friday the 22nd at about 2pm GMT to be precise, unless I manage to pursuade my house master to let me go home on the Sunday between then and now.).
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

You know, 1.0.2 and 1.1.x are different campaign server which are not really related with each other. There's no need to change anything on the 1.0.2 one to get a clean one for 1.2. They appear to connect to the same server but actually they use different ports and connect to different processes which store their data independently of each other.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

ivanovic wrote:I think it might be best to completely wipe out the content on the server to have a clean start. Of course we would warn some days before so that every campaign author can upload his content he is working on directly after the cleanup. The positive effects of this for us are:
1) Cleaning is a lot faster done.
2) No broken stuff is forgoten.
3) Clean download numbers. The stats are not only high because the campaign already exists for ages but because it was downloaded most often in the 1.2 time.

I think all the people activly maintaining the campaigns can easily reupload. The ones not to be uploaded again are likely to be broken. At least they are not maintained anymore and if there are bugs there is no way to fix them.

This is not a fixed decission yet and there is no date if this is done either. ATM it is just an idea to "simplify" the cleanup work.
IMHO, freim's original idea was the best - leave the campaigns that have been reported working and delete the rest. I don't see it being too difficult, nor do I see it as such a complex job that he will get all confused and miss a bunch of stuff.

And for myself personally, being on 28k dialup and all - uploading campaigns is a pain in the but. Since the connection is so slow the connection tends to time out by the time you have uploaded half your campiagn - which in itself can take up to an hour. 1.1.9 seems to be pretty good, in that I was actually able to successfully upload SotBE, but still...

And about the download numbers, they are just that - download numbers. What does if it matter if they are high or not. It's not like a high number of downloads means it's a better campaign or anything like that...
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

About the addons i maintain :
- The Extended & Naval Era should work
- Noyga's maps haven't been updated lately but so far i haven't encountered problems. Btw i don't mind if it get deleted, this would be the occasion for me to redesign a few scenarios.
- I'm no longer interested in maintaining the Peasant Era, if someone would like to take over this era, please contact me.
zaimoni

Post by zaimoni »

Mystery Campaign should now work in SVN (bug has been fixed). Will do more detailed testing later by the end of the weekend. Image leech will be minimized by standard technique at next upload.
KRCM

Post by KRCM »

Once 1.2 is out I am going to publish an adapted version of Elf War so it can stay on the server.
Maintainer Elf War
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Summary updated.
BlackOpsElf

Post by BlackOpsElf »

The first three scenarios of Where Angels Fear to Tread work. The campaign is unfinished at the moment.
Creator and Maintainer of "Where Angels Fear To Tread"
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

I uploaded The Unstoppable Legion to the campaign server a week and a bit ago and no-one's reported any bugs, so presumbaly this one's working.
isaac
Inactive Developer

Server cleanup

Post by isaac »

We have decided to start a new campaign server from scratch for 1.2.

The old server will be kept running on port 15003 for a while, and the new server will use port 15004. The game will use that port by default starting with 1.1.11 (1.2 rc1), users will be able to access the old server by specifying campaigns.wesnoth.org:15003 as server.

So please, campaign designers, once 1.1.11 is out, re-upload your campaigns to the new server, but be sure to check that they work correctly with that version before doing so.

Best regards and thank you for your wonderful work :)