Campaign: Invasion of Arendia

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ewan

Post by Ewan »

Downloaded, replaced, restarted Wesnoth just in case, loaded my scenario-start file for Naga Temple (which is where I just noticed the recruitment problem - prior to this I had only been recalling, and I would continue to do so were it not that I knew I should be able to recruit an apprentice [which indeed, I knew only through code-diving; the message to tell me that never appeared]).

Broke the game :( with error message 'unknown unit type: Reth-L4.

Reverting to the old rangers.cfg now...
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Ewan wrote:Downloaded, replaced, restarted Wesnoth just in case, loaded my scenario-start file for Naga Temple (which is where I just noticed the recruitment problem - prior to this I had only been recalling, and I would continue to do so were it not that I knew I should be able to recruit an apprentice [which indeed, I knew only through code-diving; the message to tell me that never appeared]).

Broke the game :( with error message 'unknown unit type: Reth-L4.

Reverting to the old rangers.cfg now...
Damn, that was part of the other fix, I re-named the Reth unit to Reth-L4 (as I plan on making Reth-L1-3 later on), replace the Reth.cfg in the units/human/ folder with this as well as the previous changes.
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

:)

Or rather, :( - the 'causes complete Wesnoth crash' problem I got around the first time with gratuitous hacking (removed the Mermen [!] to allow me to kill off the leader the previous turn, then retroactively deleted the xp gained) but it's now a persistent problem in Saving Thrashan; can't get the game to go past about turn 3.

[Checked with several other campaigns, and no problems, so I'm abandoning IoA until it seems to be stable and runnable. Sorry :(]
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Grep is a tool for searching for strings in multiple files. You invoke it from a terminal; an example (taken from a grep done on Fall of Silvium files):

Code: Select all

grep "Tribune" *.cfg
Would search in all files in the directory ending in .cfg for the string "Tribune". It would then output something like

Code: Select all

1_Return_from_Lavinium.cfg:     type=Lavinian Tribune
2_The_Raid.cfg: type=Lavinian Tribune
3_Down_the_Silvia_River.cfg:    type=Lavinian Tribune
4_The_Port_City.cfg:#Once you get there, you try to convince the Tribune of this other city that you have to flee,
4_The_Port_City.cfg:#either to the lands of the Sidhe or by ship to Dardania. Unfortunately, the Tribune not agree with
4_The_Port_City.cfg:#both this Tribune and the Marauders; since you cannot defeat the Marauders thus divided, your only
4_The_Port_City.cfg:#Once you kill this other Tribune, the remnants of his army join you; their only other choice is to
4_The_Port_City.cfg:    type=Lavinian Tribune
4_The_Port_City.cfg:    type=Lavinian Tribune
6_The_Border.cfg:       type=Lavinian Tribune
6t_Mount_Stormkeep.cfg: type=Lavinian Tribune
7_To_Arendia.cfg:       type=Lavinian Tribune
7t_The_Emperor.cfg:     type=Lavinian Tribune
7t_The_Emperor.cfg:             story= _ "Always, when a Tribune of a province is in the city, he must report the Emperor. Normally it was a routine affair; but I knew this time it would not be."
8_The_Pass_of_Arendia.cfg:      type=Lavinian Tribune
8_The_Pass_of_Arendia.cfg:              message= _ "And so perished Caius Regilius, the Tribune of Silvia, alongside many comrades."
You would then have to open the individual files and search for the text to find the exact position in the text.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

@Turin: Ok, thanks.

@Ewan: could you post a save if you have a non binary version, I can't understand why the crashing problem is occuring (because I can't re-create it) so I need a save in which the problem occurs.
Dominikus

Post by Dominikus »

Hmm. I just started playing "Invasion of Ardenia" (Version 0.1.3 from 05 Sep 06, Wesnoth 1.1.9), and it was fine until "Midnight raiding", where the enemy leaders just don't recruit any unit (which makes it very, very easy and boring), and the next scenario didn't start (error: unknown unit type 'raider').
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

IoA is broken at the moment, and will be untill Friday (when you should start again)

As for the enemies not recruiting, they should be doing so and I can't think why they don't, I'll look into it after I finish my Maths coursework (hopefully some time this evening as I have to hand it in tomorrow morning)
Dominikus

Post by Dominikus »

Dominikus wrote:in "Midnight raiding" the enemy leaders just don't recruit any unit .
I found out why this is so. In the scenatio file the line recruit= simply count no unittypes (I assume it should be recruit=fighter,archer for Sir Hoaxely, but what may the caravan recruit?)
Dominikus

Post by Dominikus »

Dominikus wrote:In the scenatio file the line recruit= simply count no unittypes
Ok, that not it. It's the missing Ardenian units: Ardenian Horesman, Ardenian Swordsman - those should be equal to their Loyalist counterpart, yes?
But Ardenian Druid and Ardenian Bowrider are not in the campaing-package.
And the Raider-error is simply that the unit has still the id "B-Raider".

I hope that was all what was needed to be fixed - waiting for friday!
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Wrong, it uses the Arendian units (as listed in the Imperial Era), so one possible reason for it not working is that you don't have, or have an old version of the Imperial era, I probably should have thought of this before replying.

The new version will fix the B-raider problem (if you start again), but not the other problem, try downloading the latest Imperial Era version and see if it works.
Dominikus

Post by Dominikus »

Ranger M wrote:Wrong, it uses the Arendian units (as listed in the Imperial Era)
Aah! This dependency should be mentioned in the campaign description - or even better, download it automatically if not already installed.

At least you should get a big alert, what's missing (e.g. a dialog event) instead of the standard "unit not found" error. How else should I know that a completely unrelated other "plugin" is missing?

I think this should be added to any campaign (or other plugin) that has dependencies:
- dependencies should be mentioned in the description of the package
- standard errors should be replaced by dependency hints
(I think it is possible to check for the existence of an unit type or so in WML)
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Dominikus wrote:
Ranger M wrote:Wrong, it uses the Arendian units (as listed in the Imperial Era)
Aah! This dependency should be mentioned in the campaign description - or even better, download it automatically if not already installed.

At least you should get a big alert, what's missing (e.g. a dialog event) instead of the standard "unit not found" error. How else should I know that a completely unrelated other "plugin" is missing?

I think this should be added to any campaign (or other plugin) that has dependencies:
- dependencies should be mentioned in the description of the package
- standard errors should be replaced by dependency hints
(I think it is possible to check for the existence of an unit type or so in WML)
It is, see the campaign description in the box to the left of the campaign when you choose it in the campaign selection pane.

As for adding message when the unit is not found, it's impossible in WML (as far as I know) to do such a thing.

And I can't have it automatically download IE when you Download IoA, because it is impossible in IoA.
Dominikus

Post by Dominikus »

Aaaahhhh!!

Now all works well, but that stupid Outlaw Princess Sarah drives me crazy - she still attacks when she had left only one hitpoint and is poisoned. I've tried to leave them a village nearby but she doesn't go there, instead using her skirmish to position herself somewhere surrounded by five enemy units!

Can you please do anything that the ai protects her a little more? Or if the AI can't act less stupid, give the player the control over her.
That's the only challange in this szenario and it's only very annoing, because you can't do anything about it.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Dominikus wrote:Aaaahhhh!!

Now all works well, but that stupid Outlaw Princess Sarah drives me crazy - she still attacks when she had left only one hitpoint and is poisoned. I've tried to leave them a village nearby but she doesn't go there, instead using her skirmish to position herself somewhere surrounded by five enemy units!

Can you please do anything that the ai protects her a little more? Or if the AI can't act less stupid, give the player the control over her.
That's the only challange in this szenario and it's only very annoing, because you can't do anything about it.
Ah, you have reached that one, yeah, she is quite stupid, and I've tried to find ways of getting her to act smarter, and failed, I can't really find a proper way, and I'm open to suggestions.

Don't worry, in later scenarios she's on your team, so you can stop her from being stupid.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Ranger M wrote:Ah, you have reached that one, yeah, she is quite stupid, and I've tried to find ways of getting her to act smarter, and failed, I can't really find a proper way, and I'm open to suggestions.
Sneaky hack solution; have her wounded immediately preceding the scenario and cap her mp at 1 or 2 for that scenario - that way she can't get herself into too much trouble...