My music for wesnoth

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

artturi

My music for wesnoth

Post by artturi »

I was asked by a developer of wesnoth to compose music for wesnoth.
Before this, I didn't know the game at all but after playing it, I fell in love with it. I hope my style fits to the game. It's a bit darker than the usual wesnoth music but I hope the main composers will allow it in the game.

Downloading is a bit more complicated than needed from these links but I hope it won't be any problem since I really want to know what you think about my music.

Marching Into Oblivion
This is a track with a name that tries hard to sound epic. This was the first track I composed for wesnoth. It's still a bit roughly mixed & an outro will be added.

Swamp
While playing wesnoth, I noticed it lacks a theme for those ghostly swamps. So here I tried to compose something spooky. This is my personal favourite of what I composed so I really hope you like it.

Disillusionment
This is an older track which I didn't compose for wesnoth, but I thought it could fit for the game
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Good stuff! :D I'm not eligible for passing judgement, but I hope the music devs either deem this good enough or give a bit of guidance in doing some changes to make it good enough. One thing I spotted was that these seem to have a bit too few changes - for comparison, the gameplay??.oggs (the current music style "standard") have lots of small gaps, bridges, tempo and especially mood changes. Your tracks are a bit more monotonous in this respect. I still like them and think they're perfectly good as gameplay music, but I suspect something like this is what the music devs would like you to use more.

And some more darker tunes would indeed be great to have.
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

No matter what I do, I can't get into that site. It times out. Please post the music elsewhere if possible so we can all test it out. Thanks!

--Timothy
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

I can't make head or tail of that site.

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. "Disillusionment" reminds me a little of Final Fantasy music. I'll get back to you on the other two later.

EDIT: When I try to go to the website to download "Swamp", I keep getting this:

FATAL ERROR: Connection to database server failed.Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

Also, I would have to agree with zookeeper's assessment of your music: nice in and of itself, and good game music, but the music developers would probably want more variety. And, as I noted earlier, your music so far reminds me of Final Fantasy. Don't get me wrong, I like Final Fantasy's music, but it isn't quite the style that the music developers have been trying to build.

EDIT: I finally got "Swamp" to work. It also sounds a bit like Final Fantasy to me, but I think it's the best of the three. Vary the instrumentation and add some more variety and you could have a real winner. Make it sound like there's a whole orchestra playing!
deserter
Art Contributor

Re: My music for wesnoth

Post by deserter »

artturi wrote:I was asked by a developer of wesnoth to compose music for wesnoth.
Before this, I didn't know the game at all but after playing it, I fell in love with it.
That would have been me!
Although I must say that I especially tried to make it clear to artturi that I'm *not* a developer or anything, so I'm not going to decide if these should be included.

And I also said that I don't really know anything about music/composing so I might be wrong to think that artturi's music would be fitting for wesnoth.

But well, I liked his stuff and asked him if he were interested in trying to compose for us, if he likes the game.

That's my part of this all... :)