Kalevala: The Iron Age: Races

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

Great idea! All right, this is what we will do...

The scenario "It will eat us all!" (see the other thread) will be changed into "Danger from above" where Louhi summons Kokko (Lv5 giant eagle, claw(slash)+beak(pierce)+raise-and-drop(impact instant kill), "carries" Warriors) instead of Iku-Turso (which is actually more mythologically correct.) Iku-Turso will be the final battle after the Swedish raid somewhere on Ã…land sea (I'm still thinking of the details, but it does fit in the theme. As there probably are Avengers (berserking units) aboard, I'll have to either give them a non-berserk melee attack, to give the head some kind of a bite attack, to remove or to de-avengerize the units before the final battle.)
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

turin wrote:Perhaps you should make terrain that looks like ocean but which the monster can recruit on. That way, when you kill a tentacle, he can recruit another one in the spot if he has enough gold, but it won't look like he sitting on a castle in the middle of the ocean.
Exactly what I meant. Sorry for being so unclear.
Jgrr wrote:As there probably are Avengers (berserking units) aboard, I'll have to either give them a non-berserk melee attack, to give the head some kind of a bite attack, to remove or to de-avengerize the units before the final battle.
I said the head would be immobile, not unable to attack. :twisted:
Loads of HP and powerful slow melee (with drain would be too strong i guess but that'd be cool), a weaker, but yet dangerous ranged (poison or slow?).

Plotwise Iku Turso could just get tired of the very disturbing sea battalion between Kalevala people and Swedish Crusaders. And surfaces to deal with this annoyance.
"I have tolerated many battles and done as told, but this is ENOUGH! I will sink your ships, eat your wives and flood your homelands!"
I need some more info though... Is Iku a god or is he just a godly beast... a pet of sea god? AFAIK Finnish mythology is similar to Greek's (so there's ought to be a sea god of sort).
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

Wikipedia has sort of a good reference on this. He is not really a god, just a sea monster some people like to invoke:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iku-Turso

Note that the exact appearance is stated nowhere, and there are also very few paintings (and not a single famous one), so it's very much to the artistic freedom to decide.

I already (sort of) know the plot too, the monster will be invoked either by Louhi (the evil mistress), Aino (the jealous mermaid who wants the main characrer to return to water to her), or both of them. Maybe I'll even get a decent ending after this, since I'm really not very happy with the current one.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Aino -HAS- to call this one from the bottom. More drama y'know. :wink:

She has longed so long and her summoning is so powerful that Iku has to break his promise to Väinämöinen and surface once again.
wikipedia wrote:Iku-Turso is mentioned as the father of diseases
Poison ranged then perhaps? :)
wikipedia wrote:"the eternal Turso"
This is just prfect. :lol:
Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

The Bears, the Pohjolan Witch-Mistress line, and the Crusader lines (Crusader, Crusader Cavalry, Crusader King and Priest, Bishop) have now been programmed. They can be tested in the Defense of Kalevala scenario.

I'll be doing the rest of the Finns myself, hopefully during the next few days (if I can handle looking for a job and avoid falling sick), but the ones I will know to have problems with are:

* The swan of Death (normal size level 0, no attacks, just there to be shot - white in some sources, black in some others)
* Kokko, the huge eagle monster with a sharp beak, pointy claws, and 50 men under each wing
* Will-o-wisp (a magical fire that burns in the night only, concealing a treasure, I currently have a placeholder that looks like a gas grenade)
* Iku-Turso (OK, I already have the "Cthulhu" thing as a placeholder)
Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

Well, as I seem to have time... here are some more unit pictures (unfortunately not programmed yet)
Attachments
Level 1, log/knife
Level 1, log/knife
clubman.png (3.04 KiB) Viewed 5799 times
Level 2, log/knife
Level 2, log/knife
brawler.png (3.13 KiB) Viewed 5798 times
The new Level 1 hunter, spear/throwing spear
The new Level 1 hunter, spear/throwing spear
hunter_spear.png (3.14 KiB) Viewed 5800 times
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Please please pleease use this as a placeholder, until I get a better one done. :D

And byt the way... One of those log carries could have his log resting on his shoulder (preferably level 2) just to avoid them looking too similar.
Attachments
Turso-torso.png
Turso-torso.png (3.66 KiB) Viewed 5784 times
Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

Wow! :)

Some more basic units here...

It's actually very hard ot carry such a log around... but that unit will anyway be a bit grotesque. Let's see what I can do.
Attachments
A full body armor by the world's greatest blacksmith, includes built-in crossbow launcher (lv3)
A full body armor by the world's greatest blacksmith, includes built-in crossbow launcher (lv3)
armored_warrior.png (4.2 KiB) Viewed 5775 times
Skiing hunter lv3
Skiing hunter lv3
bear_hunter.png (3.45 KiB) Viewed 5775 times
Skiing hunter lv2
Skiing hunter lv2
elk_hunter.png (3.41 KiB) Viewed 5774 times
halleck

Post by halleck »

The Elkhunter and bearhunter look almost exactly the same. I actually had to search to find the difference. Same with brawler and clubman....
You should probably work on that.
Screw it... I can go without a sig.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Eternal, please remember that the unit has to fit in the 72*72 hex, not just the square.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

YES! I'm very sorry about that. :cry:
This should do better. :)
Attachments
Turso-torso.png
Turso-torso.png (3.54 KiB) Viewed 5722 times
Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

A few more graphics, stripped the lower-level units a bit to achieve difference :)
Attachments
Stripped lv1 impact fighter
Stripped lv1 impact fighter
clubman.png (3.44 KiB) Viewed 5712 times
Stripped lv2 skiing hunter
Stripped lv2 skiing hunter
elk_hunter.png (3.42 KiB) Viewed 5713 times
Angry lv3 berserking or semi-berserking special unit
Angry lv3 berserking or semi-berserking special unit
avenger.png (3.18 KiB) Viewed 5713 times
Armored warrior gone mad
Armored warrior gone mad
armored_avenger.png (4.47 KiB) Viewed 5713 times
Tuohirulla

Post by Tuohirulla »

Hey, bear hunter could have spear with sharp stics on its sides, that would make different looking than elk hunter. I was unable to make the image with my paint shop pro to show up here.

Biggest club man could be armed with oar of a rowing boat.
Attachments
bear_hunter_284.png
bear_hunter_284.png (517 Bytes) Viewed 5669 times