Hero of Allacrost -- FOSS 2D RPG

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Roots

Hero of Allacrost -- FOSS 2D RPG

Post by Roots »

Its been a long, long time since I first posted about some ideas I had for a role-playing game in this forum right here. We've made some enormous steps since then, and I wanted to share some screenshots that reflect the latest state of our game.

We're very close to having a playable demo out, but we have some big bugs to address in our video engine and have a handful of loose ends to tie up in artwork, music, and sound before we're ready to show off. :D If you think you can help us out, visit our website at http://www.allacrost.org (our website design has also undergone a massive upgrade in the past week). Click the "contribute" tab and then click on "apply" and you'll see a little form. Let us know what you think about our work! 8)
Hero of Allacrost, a 2D open source RPG. Check it out at http://www.allacrost.org.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

:shock: ...

Jetryl?.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Wow, I moniter those forums and I didn't realise that you had done this much yet, or how good it was (When I checked inventories/character stat pages were only in the design process and there was only one type of area available, desert, at least that's the impression that I got), it would be nice if you posted more screenshots on the forums so that poeple can see what you are doing.
scott

Post by scott »

Hey, it's good to hear from you! You guys should be, like, our sister game or something.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Roots

Post by Roots »

Cuyo Quiz wrote::shock: ...

Jetryl?.
Yeah, Jetryl is sort of a "consultant" for us and every now and then gets his hands into our artwork. :D You might also notice that we borrowed some of Wesnoth's icons. ;)

Ranger M wrote:Wow, I moniter those forums and I didn't realise that you had done this much yet, or how good it was (When I checked inventories/character stat pages were only in the design process and there was only one type of area available, desert, at least that's the impression that I got), it would be nice if you posted more screenshots on the forums so that poeple can see what you are doing.
Have you been looking in the "Design" forum section? We've actually been posting various shots and mock-ups of the battle screen, map screens, etc. in there and actively discussing design topics pertaining to the game. Maybe you're right though, we should try to share more of our progress in the public areas of the forums. :)

scott wrote:Hey, it's good to hear from you! You guys should be, like, our sister game or something.
We sort of are already, just not officially. :) I actually started Allacrost after I installed Linux and then heard about Wesnoth. Playing around with Wesnoth lead me to discover SDL. SDL got the ball rolling and now here we are today. 8)
Hero of Allacrost, a 2D open source RPG. Check it out at http://www.allacrost.org.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Wow! That looks really nice, and you've presented it nicely with creenshots and all...
JW

Post by JW »

lol moustaches.

Looks neat though, I think I'll check it out.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

JW wrote:Looks neat though, I think I'll check it out.
Yeah, same here. Looks good.
JW

Post by JW »

Hmm....no releases yet....interesting. 8)
(meaning contributers can still get in the early phases!)
Roots

Post by Roots »

JW wrote:Hmm....no releases yet....interesting. 8)
(meaning contributers can still get in the early phases!)

Yeah, we were hoping to have a playable demo ready to release along with the screenshots and the new website, but we ran into some critical bugs in the code, and are missing several sounds that we'd like to include. It's really tough for us all to work on this in our spare time though, which is why we are looking to expand our team and hopefully collect a small community of contributors to help out. :)
scott

Post by scott »

How did you accumulate so much good quality art without having released? That has always mystified me.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Roots

Post by Roots »

scott wrote:How did you accumulate so much good quality art without having released? That has always mystified me.
I'm just as stumped as you are. :lol: I don't know, somehow I just got a lot of really talented artists, composers, and musicians to join forces from the very beginning. Most other FOSS projects would have probably released a demo by now, but we have very high quality standards and don't want to release something that we feel is not ready. Of course this breaks the "release early, release often" mantra of OSS, but we like to do things our own way. ;)
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I'll be applying as a writer as soon as I have a bit more to add into my resume. You can see my current work here.....

That just looks incredible, like the sort of thing I've been wishing they'd release for free on a computer for ages. I've actually never played any of the FF series, but I've played Xenosaga, and I tried to fiddle with RPGMaker, but I'm terrible at it.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Wow, this is starting to look really good! :)

I just did an svn check out, but it doesn't seem to contain any of the media files?

Edit:
The FAQ links to http://www.allacrost.org/forums while the correct link appears to be http://www.allacrost.org/forum/
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

freim wrote:Wow, this is starting to look really good! :)

I just did an svn check out, but it doesn't seem to contain any of the media files?
I also did one late last night (before giving up and sleeping), but it didn't work, all of the commands worked in the konsole, but it didn't appear where it was supposed to (/usr/local/man, and /usr/local/bin) or where I told it to (home/mark/games/allacrost), instead there was nothing new in either directory, (which was slightly annoying), but I assume that it was because I just got the latest svn, and something was broken.