Request for 1.1.x animation & sound feedback

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Request for 1.1.x animation & sound feedback

Post by zookeeper »

I'd like some player feedback on some parts of the game that I'm not sure how players feel about and that I might be able to tweak before the 1.2 release if necessary.

Comment only on the 1.1.8 release or newer, please. I might add new questions later, but here's two for now:

1. Animation speed. Is the general speed of attack animations too slow or about right? Should the attack animations be faster to prevent you from getting bored when playing in unaccelerated mode? If you want to list some particular units as examples of good or bad animation speed, feel free to do so.

2. Sounds. Are there any particular sounds that you find very annoying, that really should be replaced? Should the volume of some sound be increased or decreased? Does some unit lack a sound or have wrong sounds?

For both questions, there's not much need to comment on UtBS units, because I'm already very aware that most of them are really lagging behind on these kind of updates.
Last edited by zookeeper on January 20th, 2007, 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Re: Request for 1.1.8 animation & sound feedback

Post by Noyga »

zookeeper wrote:1. Animation speed. Is the general speed of attack animations too slow or about right? Should the attack animations be faster to prevent you from getting bored when playing in unaccelerated mode? If you want to list some particular units as examples of good or bad animation speed, feel free to do so.
A little too slow for my taste, especially in MP games when i start to get a lot of unit, this eat a lot of time in the game, and sometime i get bored of this and turn on the accelerated speed (especially during the AI turns). Btw, it's not that bad.
I would try to make most attack animations in around 300ms (AFAIK current standard is +/-400ms). Of course if there a very few strikes, animation can be longer and if there is a lot of strikes, shorter animations are better.
2. Sounds. Are there any particular sounds that you find very annoying, that really should be replaced? Should the volume of some sound be increased or decreased? Does some unit lack a sound or have wrong sounds?
I mostly play on the computer without soundcard. Btw when i play on the other one, the one with sound, so far, everything seems all right.
Last edited by Noyga on July 29th, 2006, 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tsr

Post by tsr »

zookeeper wrote: 2. Sounds. Are there any particular sounds that you find very annoying, that really should be replaced? Should the volume of some sound be increased or decreased? Does some unit lack a sound or have wrong sounds?
I've allways found the sound of elves getting hit to squeky and hence annoying :P

/tsr
Capn' Wankel

sounds

Post by Capn' Wankel »

I agree about the elves and the sounds being squeaky and high pitched (overly). Besides that though I must say that I absolutely LOVE the dying shriek of the goblin spearman....gurgly shreik of goodness! I think that is awesome. I actually play northerners just to hear it more often lol.

-Lee
elscouta

Post by elscouta »

1. Just fine. Only problem is in games like DotM, for the dwarvish thunderer, where the repeated shotgun animations are boring. But i don't think it needs to be changed just for one custom scenario.

2. I just put sound back on my computer, and i must say i immediately noticed the difference of quality with pre0.9 releases.
The thing i don't like about music is that the different themes can have very different styles, and as they seem to change randomly, i find strange that you can go from one peaceful music to a war one while nothing in game really changed.
Quitch

Post by Quitch »

Allow me to chip in as a newish player using 1.1.8.

Animation speed seems fine to me.

There is one sound which annoys me, and that's the skeleton being hit sound. It sounds more like static feedback and just grates.

I think the throwing daggers of the thief are too loud.

The Storm Trident from the Bay of Pearls mission in Heir To The Throne lacks sound.

I love the elf sounds, they're very distinctive.

I assume this is a sound thread as in unit sounds, rather than music?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Quitch wrote:I assume this is a sound thread as in unit sounds, rather than music?
Yep, that's right.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

zookeeper wrote:1. Animation speed. Is the general speed of attack animations too slow or about right? Should the attack animations be faster to prevent you from getting bored when playing in unaccelerated mode? If you want to list some particular units as examples of good or bad animation speed, feel free to do so.
I'm no sure but it seems that the general animation speed has been decreased since the new sounds were introduced. I alway play with accelerated speed, but with normal speed there is a really good combat and battle feeling IMO now.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

An option could be made maybe that when a unit is killed, animation is displayed,
else - no animation, to save time.
mattyd

Post by mattyd »

zookeeper wrote: 2. Sounds. Are there any particular sounds that you find very annoying, that really should be replaced? Should the volume of some sound be increased or decreased? Does some unit lack a sound or have wrong sounds?
I finally got around to trying 1.1.8 the other day, and I was really impressed with most of the new sounds. Good work! Some that stand out to me as being excellent are the sound of the arrows, and most of the sounds of northerners getting hit. One sound that I didn't care for was the White Mage's magical attack. It sounds like it's out of a game show or something.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

One thing that slightly annoys me about 1.1.8 is the fact that the hitpoint bar disappears during combat.

Unless you happen to be super fast at maths it is hard to follow who is winning. I would prefer to see the hitpoints decrease during the fight, rather than having to wait for the animations to finish to see the outcome.

Is it just me?
Kristjan

Post by Kristjan »

new flag (captured village) animation is too fast and frankly it annoys me
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Others don't like the hitpoint bar vanishing as well, there's a long thread about. Though I don't understand it really. When I attack in a situation where one unit may die I'll know how many hits it'll take for this and count them...
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I have noticed a fault with the death animation for Young Ogres. A horizontal white bar appears near it's feet in one of the frames. This is on 1.1.8.

Also, i didn't know where else to put this - the top three sides of dirt hexes have straight edges whenever there are mountains above them. By straight edges, I mean there is no blending (or whatever it is called) going on. This is on 1.1.9.

Any help?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:I have noticed a fault with the death animation for Young Ogres. A horizontal white bar appears near it's feet in one of the frames. This is on 1.1.8.
So it seems...I'll fix that right away (won't make it into 1.1.10, but will be in 1.2).
Bob_The_Mighty wrote:Also, i didn't know where else to put this - the top three sides of dirt hexes have straight edges whenever there are mountains above them. By straight edges, I mean there is no blending (or whatever it is called) going on. This is on 1.1.9.
A bit off-topic but it's ok, since it was me who messed up that transition. ;) It has been fixed since, though.