Translating wesnoth.org

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kshinji

Translating wesnoth.org

Post by kshinji »

Its a decent idea, so i think it should have its own thread.

The idea is that site should detect browsers language, and if possible, switch to the right language, where user could see download links and invitation text in his own language. Maybe the news as well. Then we could translate wiki page by page, by following the links.

I think i could give it a try, cause i already did several similar things. ( I really like translating english -> polish, and i guess ido it quite well. ) So if there are people willing to translate wiki into polish language, i am into it.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
tsr

Post by tsr »

I don't know how the wiki-software is wired for this, but I think it's a good idea.

A great idea would be to translate the 'home' page of wesnoth.org (as Viliam - if I don't remember wrong posted in the advertising thread).

/tsr
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Sorry, but this is a thing we definatly will no do. There are several problems with having a complete translation of stuff:
1) We have to make sure that the references and this stuff all are correct. When the WML is changed/updated it has to be done so in the wiki, too. Making sure this happens for the translations, too, is almost impossible. There is no gettext like system for a complex thing like a wiki. Have a look at wikipedia to get an idea how far different languages can differ.
2) It is just too much to translate. Even if it was possible to solve the problems mentioned under 1) it would not be possible to complete the task. Better concentrate the efford that would be needed on the game instead. Our website has by far too much content to make a real translation of it.

With the wikisoftware we use it is somehow possible to have different langs. We are using the same software wikipedia is using. But it is impossible to keep the stuff in sync. When not having it in sync there is no real sense in doing the work.

Regarding the thing Viliam did mention in the advertising post:
We already had this for the 1.0 release and probably will have it again for 1.2. But this is completely different than translating a complete website like http://www.wesnoth.org. It was only the announcement that was translated. This is a text you write once and don't change afterwards, unlike the rest of the website.
Jgrr

Post by Jgrr »

I agree that the translation of the entire Wiki would prove too problematic. However, I would like to see something in the website (the front page, download instructions, maybe also the game manual, screenshots descriptions etc. whatever makes you decide to play the game in the first place or not) translated into your own language. If this would effectively mean moving those pages out of the Wiki, then so be it.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Hm... lets state it this way: i can translate wiki to polish. If no, i will NOT spend this time improving any other feature of the game, but rather tranlsating freeciv.org wiki to polish. Its up to you guys if you accepot my FREE offer.

I simpy disagree that the "out of sync" thing is real problem. If we put link to englis version and if we put the date of last modification at the top of each wiki page it would be just additrion, and would have only positive or at least no effect at all. (Just add some ~ at the top of page)
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Personally I don't believe starting to translate the wiki has any real benefits. If there are a few translated pages that a polish person reads, it doesn't really help - a few pages means nothing when 90% of everything is still in english (possibly just increases confusion). Translating the front and download pages sounds useful though, provided that someone keeps them up-to-date.

I guess you could simply translate pages by creating new versions of them with appropriate names, like http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/PL:Create or http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FI:Create (and make sure you use those versions in the links too, when the target page is translated). Or something like that.
scott

Post by scott »

When 1.2 comes out the WML reference should be fixed in time, so you could try translating the 1.2 WML reference.

What parts of the wiki are most interesting to you that you want to translate?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

WML Reference is one of them, and its large so i guess i have a lot of time before id decide on next goal. Ill start from now, as you can easily delete my pages if you want.

The links to untranslated sites in english i will mark with (en) in polish version.
scott

Post by scott »

kshinji wrote:WML Reference is one of them, and its large so i guess i have a lot of time before id decide on next goal. Ill start from now, as you can easily delete my pages if you want.

The links to untranslated sites in english i will mark with (en) in polish version.
Maybe you should wait until the WML reference is reorganized for 1.2. The "dev feature" syntax will become the default for the stable version.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Okay. I started with Create then.

Please take a look at discussion, as i will ask you there for meanings of some idioms or the context of separate words, which i had problems to translate.

Id also want to state here, that in Poland we use 'Multiplayer' instead of polish version ('Tryb Wieloosobowy').
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Okay, the 0.9.9 version of PL:Create wiki page is ready. Take a look.