[Historical] Son of the Black Eye Updated!

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Finally! SotBE is compleate. The last few scenarios still need to be ballanced, but the whole plotline is there.

Version 1.0 is on the server. Let me know what you think - should it be added to the mainline version, or does it just not cut the profile?
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

Taurus wrote:Finally! SotBE is compleate. The last few scenarios still need to be ballanced, but the whole plotline is there.

Version 1.0 is on the server. Let me know what you think - should it be added to the mainline version, or does it just not cut the profile?
Didn't play the final version yet, but in the one before there are quite some things "curious"

dwarvish stand is just hell with the dwarves spitting out nothing but lvl 2 steelclads - curse them. I had to use up every bit of money just to come through...

back home is a PITA in my opinion. No money (100) [censored] louds of lvl 2 enemies and ALL SNOW! Took out the nearest enemy commander spoiling 5 of six units and then sat with Kapou'e on the nearest vilage with Inarix in the forest nearby and a Warlord on the other side. Just survived because the other enemy forces turned against my allies...
Think about revising the map: I hated it!

the civil war scenario had way to few turns: played on medium 1.1.8 having 25 turns: I've hacked in the save file to give me 30 turns and just made it on turn 29 or 30 can't remember.

Keep it up - I'll be back after playing the final scenarios. :wink:
Sly

Post by Sly »

l'ultimo cruco wrote:back home is a PITA in my opinion. No money (100) s*** louds of lvl 2 enemies and ALL SNOW! Took out the nearest enemy commander spoiling 5 of six units and then sat with Kapou'e on the nearest vilage with Inarix in the forest nearby and a Warlord on the other side. Just survived because the other enemy forces turned against my allies...
Think about revising the map: I hated it!
Try using troll whelps : snow only cost them 2 moves and they loose less defense than others (plus they regenerate, so moving slowly comes in an advantage :wink: )
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Thanks for the imput. Like I said, the last few scenarios need a bit of ballancing... I am working on it :)

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Taurus wrote:Version 1.0 is on the server. Let me know what you think - should it be added to the mainline version, or does it just not cut the profile?
It certainly shouldn't be added to mainline just because it was there earlier. If it gets added, it should be because it is the best of the available UMCs that aren't yet in mainline.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

turin wrote: It certainly shouldn't be added to mainline just because it was there earlier. If it gets added, it should be because it is the best of the available UMCs that aren't yet in mainline.
True, and yes, I compleatley aggree. As a matter of fact, I would rathter it be there because if it's quality rather then because, as you said, it is already there. However, I think it also should be taken into account that the mainline version stops right smack in the middle of the campaign. It would look better for the game if all of the mainline campaings were compleate.

Anyhow, my stance is this: it is there. I still have a few finishing touches to do and they should be done shortly, but my overall response to this campaign is good. If the developers want to compeleate the mainline version, and if they like the way I compleated it then good. If not then no big deal, it's not my problem anyway.

Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Taurus wrote:
turin wrote: It certainly shouldn't be added to mainline just because it was there earlier. If it gets added, it should be because it is the best of the available UMCs that aren't yet in mainline.
True, and yes, I compleatley aggree. As a matter of fact, I would rathter it be there because if it's quality rather then because, as you said, it is already there. However, I think it also should be taken into account that the mainline version stops right smack in the middle of the campaign. It would look better for the game if all of the mainline campaings were compleate.

Anyhow, my stance is this: it is there. I still have a few finishing touches to do and they should be done shortly, but my overall response to this campaign is good. If the developers want to compeleate the mainline version, and if they like the way I compleated it then good. If not then no big deal, it's not my problem anyway.
Taurus, there is no mainline version, it was removed along with the dark hoards because they weren't finished, Turin was pointing out that for Son of the Black Eye to get back into mainline it must be because it is better than all of the other UMCs.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

I knew the Dark Hordes was removed but I didn't notice SotBE being removed - I thought it was still there. My mistake...

l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

l'ultimo cruco wrote:...
back home is a PITA in my opinion.
I hated it!

Keep it up - I'll be back after playing the final scenarios. :wink:
Well, if I hated Back Home, ... what to say about the Northern Alliance?

I mean, I don't know if you playtested this on a major cluster workstation of your personal military research facility, but on my "Home Computer" this scenario is just unplayable. I think it takes sometimes 45+ minutes for the game to get through the NP enemies and allies...
And then With the fact Earl Landbech receives reinforcements AND money every once and a while, there is no way you could beat him (judging the amount of troops he recruits i'd say he gets about 500gp every 7/8 turns. I started out with 1200+ gp, loads of level 3 and 2 units, ecc). My last troops where slaughtered around turn 22 with Landbech recruiting another two keeps full of lvl 2 units... :cry:

I liked the start and the general set up, but if I have to hold out until Shaun Taum is killed to turn than with all our combined forces on Lanbech give me a hint at the start that my arch-enemy will get reinforcments every x turns. So I know what I'm dealing with. And give me a STRAIGHT wall, possibly with some water ditches around the entrance(s).

And being this the final scenario I have to say that the saurians are of little or no use at all. I would have liked at least 1 map where the saurians had favourable terrain to make a difference... :?

Just my 2 cents.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

l'ultimo cruco wrote: Well, if I hated Back Home, ... what to say about the Northern Alliance?

I mean, I don't know if you playtested this on a major cluster workstation of your personal military research facility, but on my "Home Computer" this scenario is just unplayable. I think it takes sometimes 45+ minutes for the game to get through the NP enemies and allies...
And then With the fact Earl Landbech receives reinforcements AND money every once and a while, there is no way you could beat him (judging the amount of troops he recruits i'd say he gets about 500gp every 7/8 turns. I started out with 1200+ gp, loads of level 3 and 2 units, ecc). My last troops where slaughtered around turn 22 with Landbech recruiting another two keeps full of lvl 2 units... :cry:

I liked the start and the general set up, but if I have to hold out until Shaun Taum is killed to turn than with all our combined forces on Lanbech give me a hint at the start that my arch-enemy will get reinforcments every x turns. So I know what I'm dealing with. And give me a STRAIGHT wall, possibly with some water ditches around the entrance(s).

And being this the final scenario I have to say that the saurians are of little or no use at all. I would have liked at least 1 map where the saurians had favourable terrain to make a difference... :?

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the two cents. As a matter of fact I haven't playtested the last few scenarios throughly yet as I mentioned before. A more ballanced verison will be comming up soon.

troodon

Post by troodon »

taurus wrote:
Version 1.0 is on the server.
What server? The last time I checked, the 1.1.8 campaign server was down.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

It is on the server that you reach when you click "get add ons" whattever that means. I have no controll over the servers so this is somethin you are going to have to take up with the devs.

vonHalenbach
Translator

SotBe 1.0 has got a bug with BfW 1.1.9

Post by vonHalenbach »

Hi Taurus!
I just downloaded and started the 1.0 with 1.1.9 from the new campaign server.
Here is the message:

Code: Select all

error config: unexpected #endif at 224 data/campaigns/Son_of_the_Black_Eye__Updated_/scenarios/6_The_Desert_of_Death.cfg 831 data/campaigns/Son_of_the_Black_Eye__Updated_.cfg 33 data/game.cfg
Error loading game configuration files
error general: Fehler beim Laden der Konfigurationsdateien: 'Fehlendes Abschlusselement für Element side an der Position data/campaigns/Son_of_the_Black_Eye__Updated_/scenarios/6_The_Desert_of_Death.cfg:204 übernommen aus data/campaigns/Son_of_the_Black_Eye__Updated_.cfg:831 übernommen aus data/game.cfg:33 an data/campaigns/Son_of_the_Black_Eye__Updated_/scenarios/6_The_Desert_of_Death.cfg:207 übernommen aus data/campaigns/Son_of_the_Black_Eye__Updated_.cfg:831 übernommen aus data/game.cfg:33' (Das Spiel wird nun beendet)
Fehlendes Abschlusselement für Element side an der Position data/campaigns/Son_of_the_Black_Eye__Updated_/scenarios/6_The_Desert_of_Death.cfg:204 übernommen aus data/campaigns/Son_of_the_Black_Eye__Updated_.cfg:831 übernommen aus data/game.cfg:33 an data/campaigns/Son_of_the_Black_Eye__Updated_/scenarios/6_The_Desert_of_Death.cfg:207 übernommen aus data/campaigns/Son_of_the_Black_Eye__Updated_.cfg:831 übernommen aus data/game.cfg:33
It is in german, sorry. It says missing end tag or something.
Should i put that in the Bugtracker at gna ?
Greetings
Stefan
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Ok, can someone tell me who and why someone uploaded my work from last july on the server? The campaign you are refering to vonHalenbach (Version 0.12) wasn't uploaded by me. That was my work from last july and as you said, it is broken. Download version 1.1 near the top of the list - it has my name on it. That one works fine, and it's compleate.

Oh, BTW folks, version 1.1 is out. No major changes to the storyline but it has some serious ballancing.

And I guess that is it - SotBE is finally done. Now I am just going to kick back, put my feet up and wait for the bug reports to flow in. Have fun.

vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Hi Taurus!
Sorry, that i have mixed up the version names. I downloaded the newest files (1.1) today and had no problems with it. Nice made! Thank you!

Greetings
Stefan :D