Repositioning HP and XP bars

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Repositioning HP and XP bars

Post by zookeeper »

Currently the bars tend to obstruct many bigger units, there's disagreement whether they should be visible during fights even if they obstruct the animations, and so on. Here's my attempt to solve all the annoyance by putting the bars somewhere where they will be in the way as little as possible. These are the two first ideas I had.

First one - HP bar under the team ellipse, XP bar under the HP bar.

Second one - HP bar somewhat similar to the previous one, just a bit shorter in order to accommodate the XP bar beside it. I think I prefer this.

I'm hoping to get a coder interested in implementing this stuff in trunk, provided that every idea isn't shot down. Other things will need to be changed too, like the position of the orb/crown, but let's not discuss that here (or at least not yet).
Attachments
alt-bar-2.png
alt-bar-2.png (27.8 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
alt-bar-1.png
alt-bar-1.png (27.87 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

A simple solution to the combat animation thing is to put the bars on the right when the unit is being attacked from the left. Your proposal has the problem that it's just as bad when the unit is attacked from below.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Elvish Pillager wrote:A simple solution to the combat animation thing is to put the bars on the right when the unit is being attacked from the left. Your proposal has the problem that it's just as bad when the unit is attacked from below.
The units would most likely be drawn on top of these bars in combat.
Elvish_Pillager

If that would be the case, then we would have nothing to worry about in relation to the bars obscuring the units.

HOWEVER, we would have something to deal with in terms of the units obscuring the bars.

I rather like this solution for the problem it solves. We could still use a solution for the problem it doesn't solve, and the simple solution I mentioned isn't compatible with this change. :?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Isn't the ellipse still optional? I guess they look rather silly when it's off...
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
ranek

Post by ranek »

the xp bar looks funny in the first one. Is it just not curved right? I'm in favor for moving them but it seems wherever we move them it'll be in the way. Maybe when we attack it'll draw up a little screen where It'll just show the two of them fighting and then they're HP and XP will be right there. While out of battle if you can't see just click on them. I've never done any real coding, just fill in the blanks for AOM so I don't know how hard this would be to do or even if its worth it.
Infinisearch

Post by Infinisearch »

Modulate the color or dither pattern of the ellipse in proportion to the hp or xp. Change from ellipse to triangle when selected since info available in unit window.
JW

Post by JW »

What if it could be programmed so that the hp/xp bars were always on the backside of the unit? Like, when the unit faces left they are on the right; when the unit faces right they are on the left. When 2 units fight they will be on opposite sides. When fighting N/S either sdie could be used (defaults to wherever it was previous to the fight I suppose - whatever would be easiest to code).

Reactions?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

zookeeper wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:A simple solution to the combat animation thing is to put the bars on the right when the unit is being attacked from the left. Your proposal has the problem that it's just as bad when the unit is attacked from below.
The units would most likely be drawn on top of these bars in combat.
If the unit can be drawn on top of the bars in combat, why do we have to move the bars? Just leave the bars where they are and have them be under the unit, not on top of it!
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager

The HP bar would then always obscure the same part of the unit, even. It's also the case that having them distributed uniformly makes them easier to see / comprehend-instantly, and putting them some on the left, some on the right when there's no movement or combat going on would disrupt this.
JW

Post by JW »

Elvish Pillager wrote:The HP bar would then always obscure the same part of the unit, even. It's also the case that having them distributed uniformly makes them easier to see / comprehend-instantly, and putting them some on the left, some on the right when there's no movement or combat going on would disrupt this.
I thought about this, but I think covering the same portion of the unit could be a good thing. Artists could plan around the bars with knowledge of where they would be in the picture.

-just throwing the idea out there.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

JW wrote:What if it could be programmed so that the hp/xp bars were always on the backside of the unit? Like, when the unit faces left they are on the right; when the unit faces right they are on the left. When 2 units fight they will be on opposite sides. When fighting N/S either sdie could be used (defaults to wherever it was previous to the fight I suppose - whatever would be easiest to code).

Reactions?
This is the best idea so far to me. I don't really care, as I think it's fine like it is now, but if it were going to be changed, I'd say this way.
hey.
Elvish_Pillager

JW wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:The HP bar would then always obscure the same part of the unit, even. It's also the case that having them distributed uniformly makes them easier to see / comprehend-instantly, and putting them some on the left, some on the right when there's no movement or combat going on would disrupt this.
I thought about this, but I think covering the same portion of the unit could be a good thing. Artists could plan around the bars with knowledge of where they would be in the picture.
True. The other issue I raised is the more important one though...
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

So is there anyone at all who, like me, thinks that before the recent change to hide the bars during combat, the bars looked fine, worked fine, were clear to the user, and of minimal annoyance?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Dave wrote:So is there anyone at all who, like me, thinks that before the recent change to hide the bars during combat, the bars looked fine, worked fine, were clear to the user, and of minimal annoyance?
Yes.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott