Where to save downloaded maps and eras

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sapient
Inactive Developer

Where to save downloaded maps and eras

Post by Sapient »

I have noticed a lot of people can't get these multiplayer maps to work because they don't know what to do with them or they save them to the wrong directory. Be sure to exit Wesnoth before attempting to use a new map or era.

Maps:

If the map file ends in ".txt", ".map", or no extension

This file contains raw mapdata. Save it to wesnoth/userdata/editor/maps

If the map file ends in ".cfg"

This file includes WML and/or additional map configuration settings. Save it to
wesnoth/userdata/data/campaigns

If the map has two files, one ending in ".cfg"

The map has been separated into a raw mapdata file and a configuration file. Save the CFG file to wesnoth/userdata/data/scenarios/multiplayer, then save the raw mapdata file to wenoth/userdata/data/maps/multiplayer

If the map file ends in ".zip"

This is a compressed file. You need to extract the contents (possibly using a program such as 7-zip).

If the map file ends in ".cfg.txt"

The author probably didn't realize CFG files can be uploaded to the forum. Rename the ending to ".cfg" after you download it to wesnoth/userdata/data/campaigns

Eras:

Save the era file(s) to wesnoth/userdata/data/campaigns

To find out where the userdata directory is on your operating system look here: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/EditingWesn ... rectory.3F
Last edited by Turuk on February 3rd, 2009, 3:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Fixed the paths for the .cfg to avoid user confusion. (Per IRC)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

You can put .cfg files in userdata/data/campaigns, it will work too and you don't lose it when you're reinstalling wesnoth(when is new release for example)
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Tomsik wrote:You can put .cfg files in userdata/data/campaigns, it will work too and you don't lose it when you're reinstalling wesnoth(when is new release for example)
That may work if the file(s) don't contain assumptions that they have been placed in standard data directories. And if the file is any good, you already posted a backup to the multi-dev forum, right? :wink:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Re: Where to save downloaded maps and eras

Post by Dragonking »

Sapient wrote:Save it to wesnoth/userdata/editor/maps
Just to add:
simmilar directory in linux is: /home/<user>/.wesnoth/editor/maps

So in windows we have wesnoth/userdata/ and in linux we have just .wesnoth in your home directory.

Btw I made this topic sticky.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
CrazyTerabyte

CLEAR THE CACHE!

Post by CrazyTerabyte »

It took me days to discover this...

Whenever you add some .cfg file somewhere, please make sure you clear the game cache.

After hours trying, I discovered I could put the .cfg file both in ~/.wesnoth/data/scenarios/multiplayer or in ~/.wesnoth/data/campaigns, and the game would recognize it in both places. But sometimes it can't notice there is a new file (or it gets confused in some way), and the user needs to manually clear the cache.

To clear the cache: rm -rf ~/.wesnoth/cache

Ah, the game finds automatically any maps stored at ~/.wesnoth/editor/maps, no need to clear the cache for these. (but you can't add cfg files there)

I'm using 1.0.2 version (latest stable release)

[EDIT:] No, it does not work on ~/.wesnoth/data/scenarios/multiplayer, it only works on ~/.wesnoth/data/campaigns, and we need to manually clear the cache anyway.
Damn, this is too much trouble, too much confusing. The developers MUST write some documentation about how to make it work the correct way.
[one more edit:] Learn more about wesnoth directories in http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/EditingWesnoth#User_Data
Last edited by CrazyTerabyte on January 12th, 2006, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I find that whenever I add something new wesnoth detects it and adds it to the cache when I start up wesnoth.

ps, I am using Linux
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Yes I have not had that prblem either as long as I restart Wesnoth, but software is finicky in general, so it might be a problme on some systems.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Your problem is unusual, but I have experienced similar trouble from having multiple versions of a file. If you have more than one scenario or era with the same display name, there is no way to tell which one you are loading. Also, any changes to a scenario will not be loaded until you exit and restart Wesnoth.

Sorry you are having so much trouble! Hopefully we can provide easier instructions here.
ugasoft

Post by ugasoft »

I've a newbye question...

Sometimes I saw maps as a raw data (txt files) and I like them and I want to download and use them...

I save my downloaded maps into the directory
wesnoth/userdata/editor/maps

I'd like to play these maps!
Do I need a cfg file??
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

ugasoft wrote:I've a newbye question...

Sometimes I saw maps as a raw data (txt files) and I like them and I want to download and use them...

I save my downloaded maps into the directory
wesnoth/userdata/editor/maps

I'd like to play these maps!
Do I need a cfg file??
No, you don't. It should work perfectly fine.

If it doesn't work - please write what error do you get.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
scott

Post by scott »

You guys should make sure all this info makes it into the wiki, maybe in a "quickstart guide for map sharing" under "Play".
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

do those have to be saved as txt files?

*curses wasted time manually making .cfgs for each map downloaded*
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

Ranger M wrote:do those have to be saved as txt files?

*curses wasted time manually making .cfgs for each map downloaded*

sapient wrote:If the map file ends in ".txt" or no extension

This file contains raw mapdata. Save it to wesnoth/userdata/editor/maps
(In Linux, save to /home/<user>/.wesnoth/editor/maps)
At least for me this works perfectly fine. I'm on windows. :oops:
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Note-- if you are using Wesnoth version 1.1.8, you should modify the file multplayer.cfg in your Wesnoth directory. Open it in a text editor, such as Notepad.exe, then change this part:

Code: Select all

#ifdef MULTIPLAYER
{scenarios/multiplayer/}
#endif
Change it to look like this:

Code: Select all

#ifdef MULTIPLAYER
{scenarios/multiplayer/}
{~scenarios/multiplayer/}
#endif
Now Wesnoth will also look in your userdata directories for multiplayer scenarios. This has already been fixed in trunk.
bert1

Re: Where to save downloaded maps and eras

Post by bert1 »

Sapient wrote: (In Linux, save to /home/<user>/.wesnoth/data/scenarios/multiplayer)

(In Linux, save the CFG file to /home/<user>/.wesnoth/data/scenarios/multiplayer, then save the raw mapdata file to /home/<user>/.wesnoth/data/maps/multiplayer)

(In Linux, save to /home/<user>/.wesnoth/data/campaigns)
I'm using ubuntu edgy eft, and I had to SHOW HIDDEN FILES under the VIEW tab before the .wesnoth folder appeared in my home directory. I spent ages buggering about looking for it up until then. Sapient might want to edit his excellent instructions to include this top tip.