CampGen release

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

Make sure you correctly filled in the 4 pathes in the configuration, right now they are not auto detected. If you click on "Windows defaults", it should give you an idea what the pathes mean. Especially, one of them points to the .exe of Wesnoth's editor, which is run when you click on "Edit map".

The window from the screenshot is in the events editor (at least in version 0.19, make sure you got that one). Select an event, e.g. the prestart or start event, then click on edit.
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

Thanks dude.
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
greywolfexcel

Post by greywolfexcel »

Is it possible to create global variables in the event editor, or are all the variables only related to each individual scenario?
scott

Post by scott »

greywolfexcel wrote:Is it possible to create global variables in the event editor, or are all the variables only related to each individual scenario?
Variables set with [set_variable] automatically carry over to all future scenarios unless specifically cleared with [clear_variable]. I hope that's what you were asking.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
allefant

Post by allefant »

I made two screenshots of a short test scenario for a bug report about this, which should make clear how it works. This is from scenario 1, where I ask the user an option, and set the variable "got_advisor" to 1 or 0:

And this is from scenario 2, where a message appears depending on the value of "got advisor":

appleide

Post by appleide »

Very nice!! (just wait till I get that new mactel! Then I can use it too! :twisted: ). Interface looks very good. All on one page... Should have thought of that.... From what I can see on screen shots, nine out of ten. :)
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
greywolfexcel

Post by greywolfexcel »

Yes, that is exactly what I meant, scott and allefant. Thanks for your help. :)

However, I've noticed that there isn't a for...next loop in the event editor. Perhaps this could be incorporated into the next release? I'd be happy to make a bug report if that would be easier.

Edit: And is there an ability to make arrays? I haven't noticed any so far.
allefant

Post by allefant »

greywolfexcel wrote: However, I've noticed that there isn't a for...next loop in the event editor. Perhaps this could be incorporated into the next release? I'd be happy to make a bug report if that would be easier.

Edit: And is there an ability to make arrays? I haven't noticed any so far.
Yes, I'm not quite sure yet how to handle arrays. Can I get a simple testcase which uses them? I guess with some small tweaks CampGen should be able to load/save/modify scenarios with some simple use of arrays and looping over them.

In general, if CampGen really is to be used for more complex scenarios dealing with arrays (or even just variables) and such things, I will probably try to incorporate a text editor widget, where you can attach custom WML (guarded by CampGen specific marker comments when saved). That way even macros could be used.

Main goal for now is still to allow creation of technically simple campaigns, without needing any WML.
PsychoticMuffin

Post by PsychoticMuffin »

Hi, I'm new to Wesnoth and one of the features that I really like is the ability to easily create new campaigns/maps for the game. I have the latest version of CampGen and I have a few questions:

What do the assign role and recall commands do?
I was studying the Orcish Incursion campaign in CampGen to look at useful commands and how to execute them, and I found that there was an advisor role assigned to an elvish scout, and then immediately after there was the recall advisor command. What do they do?

How do I create two different teams that will work together? For example:

Team 1:
Side1: Elves
Side2: Dwarves

Team 2:
Side3: Orcs
Side4: Undead

If they both have the same team name specified, will that do it? Or do I have to do something else?

P.S. I have checked the tutorial, it doesn't give me any helpful information whatsoever. So please don't post asking me to check the tutorial.
allefant

Post by allefant »

PsychoticMuffin wrote:Hi, I'm new to Wesnoth and one of the features that I really like is the ability to easily create new campaigns/maps for the game. I have the latest version of CampGen and I have a few questions:

What do the assign role and recall commands do?

I was studying the Orcish Incursion campaign in CampGen to look at useful commands and how to execute them, and I found that there was an advisor role assigned to an elvish scout, and then immediately after there was the recall advisor command. What do they do?
Basically, "role" will allow to tag units as having a role, e.g. "advisor", and then you can just refer to units by their role, instead of their name.

"recall" will recall one of your units, just as if you do it yourself inside the game. If no unit matching the filter is found (in this case, any unit who has the "advisor" role), then nothing happens.

In the specific case above, it simply will first tag one of your units as being the advisor, then automatically recall it. The idea of the original campaign author was that it is nicer if one of your own units talks to you, than having the narrator talk - but it's not a feature that is terribly useful otherwise.
How do I create two different teams that will work together? For example:

Team 1:
Side1: Elves
Side2: Dwarves

Team 2:
Side3: Orcs
Side4: Undead

If they both have the same team name specified, will that do it? Or do I have to do something else?
Nothing else, that's what the team name is for. Everyone on the same team is allied.
P.S. I have checked the tutorial, it doesn't give me any helpful information whatsoever. So please don't post asking me to check the tutorial.
Yes, it's very incomplete, the original idea being that CampGen shold be self explanatory. CampGen got much more stuff by now than the initial design, so especially the events editor is not self explanatory at all anymore. Feel free to expand the tutorial if you find out anything useful, or fix the current text where it is unclear or outdated :)
greywolfexcel

Post by greywolfexcel »

Is there any way to detect in the event editor what difficulty is set with a particular command? And is there a way to define teams in the event editor? I know you can do limited things with both difficulty and teams outside of it, but I'm modifying all that mid-scenario, so the starting teams won't help.
allefant

Post by allefant »

greywolfexcel wrote:Is there any way to detect in the event editor what difficulty is set with a particular command? And is there a way to define teams in the event editor? I know you can do limited things with both difficulty and teams outside of it, but I'm modifying all that mid-scenario, so the starting teams won't help.
No, but should be easy to add, best to file two feature request with details what you need.

For team, I'm not actually sure what you mean, but I can add support for e.g. the [gold] tag.

And for difficulties, I think I can simply add something like:

#ifdef EASY
[set_variable]name=difficulty value=0[/set_variable]
#endif

And then you can check that variable in [if] tags.
allefant

Post by allefant »

CampGen 0.20 has been released.

See here to read about changes: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/CampGen/OldVersions

And here to download for Windows, OSX, Linux: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/CampGen
greywolfexcel

Post by greywolfexcel »

Ah, this has some of my most-needed changes. Thanks! :)
allefant

Post by allefant »

CampGen 0.21 has been released, with lots of bugs fixed and some new features implemented. Enjoy!

Download (get either Windows/OSX/Linux one): http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/CampGen

Changes since 0.20: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/CampGen/OldVersions

Report bugs: https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func= ... up=campgen