Siege of Elensefar (with mages, on medium)

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

williamager

Siege of Elensefar (with mages, on medium)

Post by williamager »

I decided for some reason to try playing SoE without using any units except mages. This was partially as an attempt to do something strange with the mainline campaigns, and partially a plan to post a new SoE thread, to show that not all new SoE threads are redundant.

Unfortunately, having not planned for this, I had only two red mages when starting the scenario. Although I was able to win without any significant save-loading (I only save-loaded to go back a few turns and change tactics a few times), the scenario was brutal - I started with 22 mages and ended with 5 (two archs, a red, and two whites), with only a few turns left.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this could be achieved without so many deaths? Specifically, how can I keep the mages safe and fight in advantageous conditions while still moving quickly enough to finish? I've had success with making a line on the beach before, but with only mages, the enemy being in the water isn't that important, and I don't really have any units to soak up damage.
Attachments
soe-mages-replay.zip
(28.38 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Siege of Elensefar (with mages, on medium)

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

williamager wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this could be achieved without so many deaths?
Come in with 800 gold and two Arch Mages and a Red Mage, that's what I did when I tried this. :P

Actually, that doesn't count, because it was the OLD Siege of Elensefar, with hills up ahead instead of water. The general form should work though. :P

Oh man... now some REAL advice. Flood onto the island ASAP - you need the villages for defense. Put your toughest units on the villages, everyone else (somewhat) safe behind them. Try to kill things that will let you grab more villages. Surrounding the enemy leader quickly and bombarding him may work if he doesn't defend well enough. Oh, and use the thieves as cannon fodder. :twisted:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Spam

Post by Spam »

It seems as though you'll need a meatshield vs Orcs no matter what in order to avoid losses.
williamager

Post by williamager »

Spam wrote:It seems as though you'll need a meatshield vs Orcs no matter what in order to avoid losses.
With meatshields, the scenario is extremely easy. That's the whole point of using only mages.
pqueiro

Post by pqueiro »

Hmmmm. You'd probably need to go back all the way to Isle of Anduin, methinks :P I can only see myself doing that with loads of levelled up mages (resilient archmages can sub in for meatshields, although you will want to keep them alive as they are too hard to bring up to waste like that) and careful leadership with Konrad. And perhaps silver mages zipping about the island too. Though that might be aiming a little high :wink:

EP is right though; flood the island, use numbers to your advantage, take the villages and use the thieves as cannon fodder.
Had I been present at the Creation I would've given some hints as to the better ordering of the Universe...
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

this inspires me to play HttT with only shamans and mages...
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Elvish_Pillager

Why not only shamans or only mages?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
jg

Post by jg »

Try only Shamans on Hard... Or better: with only wolves in SotBE on the hardest difficulty... :wink:

jg
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Why not only shamans or only mages?
Well, if only mages, what do you do in the first 2 scenes? I'm doing it with only shamans right now. (But not on Hard...I'm not insane. Well, I am insane, but not in that way.)
Elvish_Pillager

well, obviously you make an exception for the first two scenarios. (or if you're in Easy mode, you don't need to recruit anything, it seems. ;))
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Elvish Pillager wrote:well, obviously you make an exception for the first two scenarios. (or if you're in Easy mode, you don't need to recruit anything, it seems. ;))
also because IMM (in my mind) thay sere the same purpose on different terrains...

but I'd due hard with only shamans...I'l save the replays :)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well