Eastern Invasion

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Circon wrote:Use something in the [start] tag that overwrites the keep with another terrain. The user need never know.
it used to be (and maybe still is) that when you overwrite a keep, the bordering (you know, the new castle tiles) ewre still there, and it looked rather...odd. i'll do it once i'm sure it won't look stupid.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

can you overwrite the neighboring hexes too...oh no, the bordering on them could be screwed up too if you are not carefull....
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Darth Fool wrote:can you overwrite the neighboring hexes too...oh no, the bordering on them could be screwed up too if you are not carefull....
normal tile borders aren't screwed up, only the castle borders are. the problem is, i think, that the castle borders aren't seen as the same thing as normal borders. i'll see if i can get a screenshot to show what i mean.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
mlangsdorf

Re: Northern Outpost

Post by mlangsdorf »

[quote="turin"]However, Dave, why is it that you can't have units that aren't on a specified side? its somewhat annoying, since you have to have a keep for each side, and i don't really want a keep for the thieves, it makes no sense.[/quote]

You don't have to specify a keep for every side, and if there are more sides than keeps, the extra sides will not have keeps. (Try loading a Test of Clans savegame from 0.7.5 with the 0.7.6 map - Bayur will disappear. Took me a while to figure that out.)

While I was waiting for you to fix Northern Outpost, I took matters into my own hands and added:

[side]
race=Humans
type=Rogue
description=Dai
side=4
canrecruit=0
team_name=evil3
{INCOME 0 0 0}
gold=0
[/side]

and a "side=4" key to each of the Rogue unit descriptions. It seemed to work for me and I didn't see a 4th keep or a 4th side leader.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

mlangsdorf wrote:
turin wrote:However, Dave, why is it that you can't have units that aren't on a specified side? its somewhat annoying, since you have to have a keep for each side, and i don't really want a keep for the thieves, it makes no sense.
You don't have to specify a keep for every side, and if there are more sides than keeps, the extra sides will not have keeps. (Try loading a Test of Clans savegame from 0.7.5 with the 0.7.6 map - Bayur will disappear. Took me a while to figure that out.)

While I was waiting for you to fix Northern Outpost, I took matters into my own hands and added:

[side]
race=Humans
type=Rogue
description=Dai
side=4
canrecruit=0
team_name=evil3
{INCOME 0 0 0}
gold=0
[/side]

and a "side=4" key to each of the Rogue unit descriptions. It seemed to work for me and I didn't see a 4th keep or a 4th side leader.
i don't really get what your saying about Test of the Clans, but OK. :)

and, since that side tag doesn't have any meaning...you don't need most of the stuff there. here is a better version:

Code: Select all

[side]
type=Rogue
side=4
canrecruit=0
gold=0
[/side]
The World of Orbivm
mlangsdorf

Post by mlangsdorf »

There are 5 Clan sides lists in 0.7.5 Test of Clans - but the map only has starting locations for 4 of them. Thus, Bayur does not show up.
mlangsdorf

Post by mlangsdorf »

Balancing comments on some of the later chapters:

The Crossing (Northern, I think... after you kill the Orc leader instead of the Lich):
Neat scenario concept but overly random. I played it 3-4 times trying to figure out the right balance of units to recall, and there was a lot of variation. If the ogres do well and tie up all the orcs, it's basically a slog through the water for a few turns. If the ogres die before one crosses the river, the orcs head south and it gets very hard. Not sure what to do about that.

The undead reinforcements should probably appear in a random location and have a nearby castle. I'd always sent a few Iron Maulers and a Red Mage south to deal with the undead castle, and left them behind to slow reinforcements. They just smashed the Lich the moment he appeared. It doesn't help that the tile the Lich is one provides NO defense, so it's possible to get 100% accurate hits on him.

Ogre Training:
This scenario is *hard*. I can't figure out how to do it. I keep killing the ogres accidently.

Tribal Warfare:
Another hard scenario. After Ogre training, you have about 2/3rds the gold that you were left with from the Crossing. There aren't many villages on the map near you. The elves have a huge forest that you need to slog through (multiple turns) to kill the Lord, and then you have to go back and deal with the Orc and Dwarf. I guess leaving the Elf for last would have helped, but it's still going to be tight.
It would really help if there were some partial parts through the forest, so that the Orc has more inclination to go after the Elf and it's possible to get to the Elf a bit faster.
Aethirry

where's the cuttlefish?

Post by Aethirry »

Nice campaign -
I like being able to choose to go East a little ways before going North to aid Owaec.

But getting to the crossing, it crashes when the AI tries to invoke the cuttlefish; as the character/unit isn't there for it to call - ?

This was with Wesnoth 7.2 for Mac; I just noticed the release is up to 7.6 - and retried the same scenario - same problem. Will try again with a fresh download of the user scenario, since starting a fresh run with the first scenario, it finds no userpic of Gweddry (incomplete install...)

Aethirry
*charge!*
(wait for us, you brave idiot!)
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

A rather large bug report:

While playing Northern Outpost for probably the 10th time, this time with version 3.2, the bandits were on my side. I played it with BFW v0.7.5, and tried to edit the scenario parameters a bit to fix it. Unfortunately, all that got me was no units, then units still allied to me and a crash at the begining of the third turn. I will try with BFW v0.7.6 next, but I have little hope. Man, do I want to get past that scenario! Nice scenario, especially the first time. After that, well...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Aethirry: This has been fixed, it was a bug with i THINK my 0.3.2 release. just download the newest and it SHOULD work.

Insinuator: That sounds like a very bad bug. Could you send me a save file so i can see what is happening?
The World of Orbivm
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

I hope this is what you are asking for, though, I'm not sure you'll be able to reproduce it. This is when the crash is, though I believe that is fixed after I reinstalled version 3.2. Units still allied unfortunately.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

turin wrote:and, since that side tag doesn't have any meaning...you don't need most of the stuff there. here is a better version:

[side]
type=Rogue
side=4
canrecruit=0
gold=0
[/side]
the most efficient tag possible:

[side]
type=Yeti
side=4
[/side]
I would guess that Insinuator's problem is also the absence of a side for the rogues.. but I don't know why it would crash on turn 3; there are no events then.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Dacyn wrote:I would guess that Insinuator's problem is also the absence of a side for the rogues.. but I don't know why it would crash on turn 3; there are no events then.
Unfortunately, I thought so also. I tried to add a side, yet that is when it began to crash at the end of turn three. It is inexplicable and confusing. It is possible I added it incorrectly though...
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Insinuator wrote:Unfortunately, I thought so also. I tried to add a side, yet that is when it began to crash at the end of turn three. It is inexplicable and confusing. It is possible I added it incorrectly though...
wait, you changed the files before it began crashing? Then there probably is no problem. :)
Could you post what you added?
I still can't think of any reason for the specific time for the crash, though.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Before my post, I should probably clarify that the crash was not my problem. I've fixed too many crashes to be daunted by this one and I just reinstalled the campaign. Here is the restored version:
#trap units
[event]
name=moveto
[filter]
x=18
y=23
side=1
[/filter]
{TRAPTHIEF 18 22}
{TRAPTHIEF 18 24}
[/event]

[event]
name=moveto
[filter]
x=16-24
y=16-17
side=1
[/filter]
{TRAPTHUG 16 16}
{TRAPPOACHER 21 16}
{TRAPTHUG 23 16}
[/event]

[event]
name=moveto
[filter]
x=11-13
y=12-14
side=1
[/filter]
{TRAPTHIEF 12 12}
{TRAPROGUE 12 14}
{TRAPTHUG 11 13}
{TRAPTHUG 13 13}
[/event]

[event]
name=moveto
[filter]
x=15-23
y=6-9
side=1
[/filter]
{TRAPTHUG 16 8}
{TRAPTHUG 20 8}
{TRAPPOACHER 18 10}
{TRAPPOACHER 18 7}
{TRAPROGUE 18 9}
[/event]
Basically, the only thing I changed was the sides. I practiced with different sides, ranging from 1-5, yet 2-5 showed no units, and 1 gave me allies.