Mandatory bugfixes for 1.2: Opinions?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Mandatory bugfixes for 1.2: Opinions?

Post by irrevenant »

This thread is just to get a feel (in an unofficial capacity) for what people consider vital to be fixed before 1.2 becomes final.

I just have the one:
* Units should appear in TColor in the help and sidebar rather than Magenta; that just looks unprofessional and tacky, unworthy of a Stable release.
Last edited by irrevenant on June 27th, 2006, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Ehm, it looks like you missunderstood something:
1) We are already in the state that we do say we are feature compelte for 1.2. Okay, there are *hundreds of things that could be added but we have to stop adding new things so that we can get to point 2).
2) We are in the state of a featurefreeze atm. The reason for this is to fix all the bugs that we do know of. Yes, we do know that this is virtually impossible, but we will try our best. That is why we want *many* reports.

Considering the TC stuff: Somehow we do consider it as bug if a unit appears in pink (yeah, some people call it magenta, but it is girly pink...). At least I do not know any unit that could wear pink...
For bugs the bugtracker should be used: http://bugs.wesnoth.org
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

ivanovic wrote:Ehm, it looks like you missunderstood something:
1) We are already in the state that we do say we are feature complete for 1.2. Okay, there are *hundreds of things that could be added but we have to stop adding new things so that we can get to point 2).
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to have missunderstood, since AFAIK we haven't been told that before; the only post I've seen explaining the situation is one stating there's a string freeze. It's certainly not on the front page.

I think you've misunderstood my intent with this thread which is to get forum-users' input on which bugs they consider to be release critical for 1.2. I'm not proposing the addition of new features for 1.2. [EDIT] Ah, that's probably my fault for not being clearer with the subject line: fixed.

I definitely consider this 'girly pink' (:P) display issue a release-critical bug for 1.2; it's okay in a development release but it looks too tacky and unprofessional for a stable release.
ivanovic wrote:For bugs the bugtracker should be used: http://bugs.wesnoth.org
Since this issue had been raised and discussed before I assumed it had already been reported as a bug. Apparently it hadn't been, so I've done so now.

[EDIT]Crap, yes it has. Mine's titled better though...
Last edited by irrevenant on June 27th, 2006, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Bugs that I consider "need fixing":

1. kalediscope effect caused by several dwarf units and male footpad having no TC applied to the base frame (all but ulf look pink) but applied to animations.

2. Undoing an auto-move can cause an OOS on a network game.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Make "quick replay" work reliably for mp.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Yogi Bear wrote:Make "quick replay" work reliably for mp.
Is that a note-to-self? 8)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

No, it's a contribution to this thread.

The note is on my desk :wink: - somewhere - errr

*grumble*
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Can it be that this thread is completly useless? Why should everybody state which bug they like best to be fixed? So everybody who filed a bugreport can post here again his or her bugreport. Would those bugs that were posted here be fixed, No but i find it cool to talk about it again and again.

This is opensource! Who wants to get a bug fixed should do so. Otherwise he or she should be quiet. Those who can fix bugs, can select those which needs most attention, themself.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

vonHalenbach wrote:This is opensource! Who wants to get a bug fixed should do so. Otherwise he or she should be quiet.
Good point. If someone without C++ skills has identified a problem with Wesnoth they should certainly just shut the hell up and keep it to themselves. Otherwise there's a risk that those with the skills to fix it might learn of the problem.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Sighted events are still broken AFAIK. Don't work properly in all cases, like when the unit that sights isn't side 1, or when there's only shroud and not fog, etc. There are bug reports (I think 2) on that.
BlackOpsElf

Post by BlackOpsElf »

Edit: started this post a few hours ago and left it sitting half done in my window, so I didn't see Irrevenant's post, which says what I said better.

vonHalenbach wrote:Can it be that this thread is completly useless? Why should everybody state which bug they like best to be fixed? So everybody who filed a bugreport can post here again his or her bugreport. Would those bugs that were posted here be fixed, No but i find it cool to talk about it again and again.

This is opensource! Who wants to get a bug fixed should do so. Otherwise he or she should be quiet. Those who can fix bugs, can select those which needs most attention, themself.
This thread isn't about re-posting bug reports. This thread is about identifying which bugs, if left unfixed, would make the 1.2 release look like a worse product than the previous stable release. Several bugs are not extrordinarily critical, and would probably not deter someone who is playing Wesnoth for the first time from ever playing it again. However, I know several individuals who would not play a game in which the animation sprites are a different color than the base image.

Yes, this is opensource. But not everyone can actually get into the code and fix bugs, and people who never took a computer science course are potentially just as able to identify which bugs should be given greater attention. Some of us don't have the time. Some people are interested in playing a polished game, and could care less about coding it. Some people understand the code behind the game, but are drawn to Wesnoth because of the intuitive campaign editing system. This isn't a "those who can fix bugs" and "those who can't fix bugs" thing. This isn't the Art or Faction development forum, where you are rightfully scorned for asking others to contribute more effort to a project than you are willing to do yourself. The coders are going to fix all these bugs anyway; we just want to point out which ones should be done first.
Creator and Maintainer of "Where Angels Fear To Tread"
<X> Pillager

Post by <X> Pillager »

I think the fact that he made his first post resurrecting a month old thread for the purpose of saying the thread was pointless basically makes his opinion null and void... ignore him.
I can be stupid too! Thus, I hate myself. ;)
(I'm turin on vacation)
scott

Post by scott »

<X> Pillager wrote:I think the fact that he made his first post resurrecting a month old thread for the purpose of saying the thread was pointless basically makes his opinion null and void... ignore him.
VH hangs out at the bug tracker at lot. At least he's using the forum for its proper purpose. Some people treat the bug tracker like it's a forum (and for some reason they like to do it in my bugs).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
tsr

Post by tsr »

You could also use the voting mecanism of the bugtracker to show those with the skill wath bugs you'd like to be fixed.

/tsr
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Some urgent fixes for multiplayer which really ought to get into 1.2: (these were posted in the wrong thread first :?)

1. "start_new_game" key to (dis-)allow starting a game from a [multiplayer]: prevent scenarios which are meant as subsequent scenarios in a MP campaign to display in the scenario/map list (showing their map in the process). These scenarios would be unplayable as stand-alones, yet still clutter up the list! I think if 1.2 wants to boast with new MP campaign content, this feature is mandatory. See this thread, or this feature request.

2. display team setting in multiplayer lobby: display the team setting for a game in the multiplayer lobby, such as "1v1", "2v2", "ffa", "coop". This could be deducted from the team setting of the sides and give people more of an idea what game they are joining. See this feature request.

I'd be willing to help write patches if there is a chance to get such features included and if it isn't already too late to do so...

I wonder whether this has been fixed already, Dave mentioned a fix until 1.2: "advancefrom" considered harmful to multiplayer