Undead needs a new unit

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
SaintDust

Undead needs a new unit

Post by SaintDust »

I like playing undead.

A few ideas about them i have are as follows.

First they need something to fight off magical attacks. There whole army takes massive damage from mages. So we need a single unit that doesn't.

What about Ghoul..

Hp 28
lvls 1-3
exp 30
attacks
mellee
4-4
impact damage

resists
40% fire
40%cold

lvl2
hp35
exp35
attacks
melle
6-4
range
3-1

i added impact damage because it is a lesser seen damage tyep amoung undead.
Its hard to go against units that resist all damage(cept impact)
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Ghouls already excist in the game lad, just not in multiplayer.
brakett

Post by brakett »

I've kinda like that the undead have some weaknesses...

Is't this the case for all the races, if not i think it should. That way every race forces you to play differently.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

brakett wrote:I've kinda like that the undead have some weaknesses...

Is't this the case for all the races, if not i think it should. That way every race forces you to play differently.
agreed.

another point- they don't even really take massive damage from mages. its just they SEEM to, because they take so little damage from other attack types.

and this couldn't really be called a ghoul even if it wasn't in the game, since 'ghoul' does not really show magic resistance.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
MattiRoto

Post by MattiRoto »

Hello,

well I just joined the forums,but have had the game since october'02.

I have the name for a unit that might suite...

Fiend-Demon-Fire Beast

just make them good against fire and pierce
bad against blade,cold,impact,holy.

sound okay? :?:
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

MattiRoto wrote: well I just joined the forums,but have had the game since october'02.
Surely you mean October'03, no? :)

Wesnoth didn't even exist in October '02.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
MattiRoto

Post by MattiRoto »

Dave wrote:
MattiRoto wrote: well I just joined the forums,but have had the game since october'02.
Surely you mean October'03, no? :)

Wesnoth didn't even exist in October '02.

David
Yes OOOOOPPPPSSSSS

sorry.

But do you like the idea?
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

MattiRoto wrote:Fiend-Demon-Fire Beast

just make them good against fire and pierce
bad against blade,cold,impact,holy.

sound okay? :?:
well it would be much different from existing undead...
I don't like these names. The name "Fiend" does not imply fire to someone unfamiliar with these things. "Demon" is the best, but I am not sure... "Fire Beast": The word "Beast" has a stronger connotation than "Fire" while having less to do with the unit.

I think that most people think that factions should have weaknesses, so really this is a solution in search of a problem.
KISS- keep it simple, stupid

When reading the above quote from TWP, keep in mind the words of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry: "Language is the source of misunderstandings."
MattiRoto

Post by MattiRoto »

Okay just adding my two cents worth :?
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

Yeah, Ghouls already exist for the undead, but there's many undead of Folklore/Legend that could be included. Ankous, vampires, werewolves(and many other werecreatures), mummies...and on and on.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Thread necromancy, dude. Shame on you.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Master Stilgar wrote:Thread necromancy, dude. Shame on you.
Clarification: If you want to make new comments regarding an old idea, I'd prefer you continue the original thread rather than start a new one.

I'd agree that it doesn't appear necessary in this case, though
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

Sorry, I wasn't "resurrecting an old thread" for the purpose of doing just that. I feel this subject warrants more discussion as there is a ton of Undead unit ideas out there for consideration, and I had no desire to open up yet another thread on it. The forum is too convoluted with rehashed ideas as it is.

I play Runescape as well as Wesnoth. Over a year ago, they came out with a creature called Ankou. I thought they just made the creature up until recent reading uncovered them as a Female Skeleton of Celtic Mythology. That's just one example of an obscure Undead reference.

One thing missing from all factions, especially for campaigns, is different leader types to seek out and defeat. How many "ancient liches" can you kill before you realize they're all the same with only a different name? Perhaps characters with similar stats to the already existing "final bosses" can be made out of these other unit ideas. It would make for better storytelling.

I do resent that players who know me only from posts I've made to assume that I would bring back a thread out of some disreputable intent.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
db0

Post by db0 »

The thing is that when a thread is so old, the original proposal within is horribly outdated and may be even fixed in the latest version.

In your case, you even responded to a comment made 4 years ago which will certainly not be seen by the original poster.

if you wish to propose Ankous, mummies and whatnot, it's better to do it in a new thread.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Actually maybe he shouldn't.
Edward V Riley wrote: One thing missing from all factions, especially for campaigns, is different leader types to seek out and defeat. How many "ancient liches" can you kill before you realize they're all the same with only a different name? Perhaps characters with similar stats to the already existing "final bosses" can be made out of these other unit ideas. It would make for better storytelling.
Ummm there are seven potential undead leaders for lvl 2 and six for lvl 3... I think thats plenty. Adding more would just add to unit bloat and dilute the diversity we already have.

No.

I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.