The Rise of Wesnoth 8 - Clearwater Port

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

The Rise of Wesnoth 8 - Clearwater Port

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
scott

Post by scott »

joshudson wrote: (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Hard, Wesnoth 1.1.1 (with my patch applied that restores TRoW to working order)

8. Just about no way to kill the enemy leaders, but no real trouble surviving.

8. Everything fine but when the last boat comes and goes. NOT the
last turn as one would guess.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Quite interesting. Lieutenant Aethyr sure has guts to think he can
hold out alone (he has no units left).

Got here with 100 gold. At least I've got the free WM and dwarf.

9. Kill Kill Kill. Don't care about going anywhere.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Minimum gold = 150 (although I get what I diserve for playing on hard)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
scott

Post by scott »

Draciron wrote: (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium 1.0.2 Yum complains about missing dependancies when I try to update the files.

I still have yet to kill off all the enemy leaders. Can get two but run out of turns before I can get the third. If I send Haldric out to fight I can never get him back in time for the last boat.

Very clear

Don't pay much attention after the first time round. Actually it'd be really nice if the dialog went away after the first try.

The first few times through the scenario just staying alive was challenge enough. I found that if I throw a 3rd level wizard and a Master bowman up top I can block off the purple from the north indeffinitely by alternating them against foes and sitting the other in the town up there. The hardest part is how poorly my ally plays and the fact that he can't stay alive unless I comit a substantial portion of my forces to defend him. This means I send a weak force out to attack the enemy leaders. Lots of casualties and a real effort not to lose lots of leveled chars. The most successfull run still cost me a red mage and a Iron Mauler.

7 - Would be more fun if I could get to more serious killing rather than having to play defensively much of the scenario.

Improve the ally so that we can go after the enemy in their own camps.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. hard 112a
2. 8, only had 100 gold to work with (gg poor) and it's impossible to kill the enemy leaders.
3. clear enough, it's an Art of Defense map.
4. Silly farmer... "You killed my family! Die!" Heh. Clear and interesting enough.
5. Surviving, but if you use the terrain to your advantage it's not that bad.
6. 10. I luv defense maps. I've never given a 10 for fun in any scenario review and I probably won't ever give it again.
7. I really wish I had more money, increasing the minimum you start with would be nice.
Also, and though it's probably not possible I would like to see the enemy attack in 'waves'.
For example: In the first few turns, the AI mainly sends level 1 units and goblin cannon fodder.
A few turns into it, a few level 2 units start to trickle in.
As the scenario continues, more level 2 units start to appear and the AI stops buying lvl 0s and lvl 1s. Around the time the second ship appears, the AI starts getting lvl 3 units.
That would be awesome, sort of a gradual increase in the quality of your assailants.

Non-level 1 casualty report:
Surprisingly none, but a truck load of level 1s soaked off.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Peidu

Post by Peidu »

Easy, 1.1.2a

6/10, I defeated all enemy leaders, but there were a lot of grunts around.

I wasn't sure whether you has to defeat enemy leaders and flee on the third boat... Haldric was in the middle of the fighting, with no chance of fleeing.

Clear, was the surprise the Naga fighter?

Holding the orcs at bay in the northern channel... Red Mage and Bowman did it for 3 turns.

9/10, excellent scenario, well made... though the Northern Orcs require a bit better A.I.

None other than above.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Clearwater Port

Post by Zhukov »

Medium Difficulty, Version 1.1.2a

9 - I gotta give it to the tough little brown buggers, they don't go down easy.

Fine, fine.

All good. Especially Jessica's little line. "I'll show you irregular..." Ha.

Weeeellllll, there were these hordes of brown guys trying to use icky swords in unwelcome ways.

8 - I enjoyed it.

That Aethyr guy. Please do something about him. His army is useless, but that isn't the problem, I don't mind useless allies (free meatshields). However, he is worst then useless because his troops get in the way. Trying to march out slow Shocktroopers when there is a solid wall of peasants and mages is not fun at all.
Also, the Naga's are a bit lame. I mean, there was all of two of them, not much of a "surprise." Perhaps use more of them (4-5) or even better, make them lvl2's.
Truper

Post by Truper »

1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium Difficulty, Version 1.0.2 (I think), 1.1.7

10. I find being outnumbered 8 to 1 means all I can possibly do is attempt to flee on the 1st ship.

Clear enough. It would help to know when the ships were arriving, and that it takes 2 turn to move from the keep to the embarkation point.

Clear and interesting both.

Minimum gold, minimal income, hordes of enemies.

1. I find being outnumbered 8 to 1 to be frustrating and pointless.

Increase income. For some reason, villages are worth only 1 gold. This means that your income isn't sufficient to recruit even one unit per turn, while you face 3 enemies each recruiting at least 2 units per turn and sometimes more. Considering the damage level 2 Orcs can do at night, you *will* be losing units, which you cannot replace.
Sly

Post by Sly »

Truper wrote:Increase income. For some reason, villages are worth only 1 gold. This means that your income isn't sufficient to recruit even one unit per turn, while you face 3 enemies each recruiting at least 2 units per turn and sometimes more. Considering the damage level 2 Orcs can do at night, you *will* be losing units, which you cannot replace.
:? Villages are always worth 1 gold.

Hint : try using spearmen ..., the best defense unit when you make a line of them on castle tiles with white (or even light) mages behind them
Lord Jevyan

Post by Lord Jevyan »

(1) 1.0.2 medium level
(2) 7. Not an easy defense
(3) Very clear
(4) Nice dialog with the Lieutenant
(5) Not losing the walls.
(6) 9. I like desperate battles when the enemy has got bigger hordes
(7) Nothing. This level is perfectly made for me.
Hasta la vittoria per Wesnoth, siempre!
Ragwortshire

Post by Ragwortshire »

(1) 1.1.5 Medium
(2) 6. A level which was still nontrivial with the large amount of gold I had must be fairly difficult. However, it really showed how bad the AI was in my game.
(3) Very clear. I think "Heroic" is a much better description for a super-victory condition than "Bonus".
(4) Pretty solid. Didn't seem incongruous and helped keep the scenario flowing.
(5) Not many. The AI sent most of its troops north and scattered the rest across the map, so I just charged them in the centre with ~10 knights. GG (on turn 15).
(6) 7. Sending hordes of veteran units into battle is always great fun.
(7) Um... somehow stop the AI leaving itself wide open. Other than that, no problems.

Starting gold: 511
Finishing gold: 769
There midnight's all a-glimmer, and noon a purple glow. (The Lake Isle of Inisfree - W.B. Yeats)
ciristhan

Post by ciristhan »

1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium Difficulty, Version 1.21

Medium difficulty.

Not so clear. I would have wished for a more precise description of the whole procedure with the escape fleet. Well, I killed all three bosses anyway...

Very clear and very interesting. I play the German version of the game and I have no complaints whatsoever. Also I liked the peasant's battle cry while charging against the orcs.

Attacking the first boss in the southwest while avoiding to get your vanguard crushed by the united forces of the the southwest and the northwest; and at the same time defending your castle in the northeast and in the east.

10. You have to plan carefully which units to choose (for my first wave of attack I selected mainly cavalry) and you must be very quick in defeating the first boss. I liked this challenge a lot!

None that I could think of. Probably there should be greater focus on the nagas as the orcs support troops...
Skyhunter

Post by Skyhunter »

1,3 medium

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 8
Very difficult, i was with only 100 gp from last scenario, and the map was very very confusing, i couldn't take their bases, I came like so close to them, and no way, it was just unbearable to think i couldn't get close. So after fourth time i started from beginning i just mounted the first ship. I hate defending. That s it.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) (0)
Not funny.

Make that blue AI to defend the port, not go and rush the orcs.If they were defending, i would have more time to plan a good attack, knowing that i m covered for some time.
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 6 to beat all enemy leaders; probably 2 to just survive to the first ship.
3) Clear
4) Excellent
5) Balancing forces between different fronts. I chose to attack the south orc, leaving just a couple of units in the centre & relying on the ally's troops to stop the orcs breaking through here. And just a couple of L1 units near levelling up to hold the river crossing from the north. I had to rush Haldric back to recruit a few more units to shore up these other areas later on.

Relying on the ally, of course, wasn't totally... reliable, as his units run away from the front line whenever something appears behind them.

6) 9
7) -
8 ) start gold 215
RokStar

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: Clearwater Port

Post by RokStar »

Hard, 1.3.2
7 if you take the first boat
very
very
Only 100 gold because of the damned previous scenario. I think that with more gold i would be able to make a good strategy and last till the second ship.. or third, who knows...
-
Isen

Post by Isen »

1.2.3, Hard.

Clear, although I do not understand if there's a gameplay distinction between "cowardly", "normal" or "heroic" and, more importantly, between the two different heroic levels. I caught the third ship, but I couldn't help but wonder whether I would have been better of catching the first and reaping the early finish bonus, seeing how I was short on cash by next mission.

Yay, last stand. A bit sad when the peasant got slaughtered. Perhaps next time I should attempt to divert some forces to help him.

Initially I opted for the "kill all enemy leaders" option and thus led a brave charge southwards, slaughtering hordes of the greenskins. All too quickly it became apparent that I could not pull this off so I had to beat a retreat back to the castle walls, however by then my troops have taken a lot of damage from which they never recovered, meaning my defensive line was always tenuous. Keeping the lieutenant alive was also a pain, and I grossly underestimated the time it would take Haldric to reach the ship from his defense of the north cape, which cost me a few good units.

Make the lieutenant's forces defend the town, if possible, rather than charging out into the mettle. If he could hold his portion of the wall, at least for a little while, it would make concentrating the defense much easier.