mac os9.2

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
brobsch

mac os9.2

Post by brobsch »

is there any way to run wesnoth on mac os 9.2???

i don't think so, bit could it be that i can install something to run it?
scott

Re: mac os9.2

Post by scott »

brobsch wrote:could it be that i can install something to run it?
OS 10.3 or 10.4 :)

I know very little about OS 9, but you can always try fiddling with the code and compiling it with a C compiler. Adding gettext in 0.8.3 went a long way towards breaking backwards compatibility, so maybe you could start by trying to compiling the 0.8.2 source. It appears there is a version of SDL for OS 9. Getting it to compile for OS 9 would very much be a hobbyist's challenge, but if you can get it to work, I applaud your skill (which would be considerably greater than mine). Others would know of any other technical reasons why you can't get it to go on OS 9.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
brobsch

Post by brobsch »

i see....

i really didn't believe it would work, but...

so, only wesnoth on linux-f***, then i can't work on my pc, cause sombody will play....

thanks a lot...
swissman

Post by swissman »

brobsch wrote:is there any way to run wesnoth on mac os 9.2???

Amazing that some people still work on MacOS 9.2 :shock:
Com'on, OS X is not that expensive, and is far better :wink:
scott

Post by scott »

swissman wrote:
brobsch wrote:is there any way to run wesnoth on mac os 9.2???

Amazing that some people still work on MacOS 9.2 :shock:
Com'on, OS X is not that expensive, and is far better :wink:
I think I understand why people still use OS 9.2. People enjoyed using it more than OS X in the same way people prefer to use BFW 1.0 to 1.1.7. It's less capable, but it's light and zippy and fun to play. Therefore, it does its job just as well as 1.1.7 even though it technically can't do as much (or crashes more in the case of OS 9). I have an old PC that has Windows 98 and MS Office '97. Word starts up almost instantly after clicking the icon. It performs fine. It does its job just as well as Office 2003 on Windows XP. I could upgrade the computer, OS, and application but it does not necessarily translate to a faster, more enjoyable, or (most importantly) more productive work session. Compared with the hassle of maintaining a modern installation of Windows XP, my non-net connected (since it doesn't have ethernet) Windows 98 computer is actually easier to use to get work done. I bet people feel the same way about OS X. I don't, but I never really used OS 9.2. I booted into it once to install Starcraft, but that was it.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Dwarven Lord

Post by Dwarven Lord »

I really dought that you could get Westnoth to work on OS 9.2. I used 9.2 untill a few years ago and I beleive that it would be more work than it is worth to get it to work "if it works at all". 9.2 is really stable but OS 10 point whatever is getting to be a bit of a necesity to survive in the mac world.

:D
The Dwarven Lord has spoken!