Music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gluem

Music

Post by Gluem »

Last edited by Gluem on June 18th, 2004, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I loved them all, even though some of them wouldn't fit a medieval atmosphere like wesnoth. the two first ones (sven coop and fantasy) were particularly fited, I think...

and Wesnoth definitely needs mor musical artist :)
brakett

Post by brakett »

I think they sound good. Not all of them have a "fantasy-sound", but i like them...

I think it would be nice to get some more variation to the gameplay music.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

I agree with Boucman, first two would fit in Wesnoth. Even tho i'm not too found of the second one.
Anyway congrats on the "80's" one! :D These sounds are great!
What did you use if i may ask?

Cheers,

Aleksi.
Gluem

Post by Gluem »

Heh, I know they wouldn't all fit the game. They were just meant to be short samples of some earlier work I've done (I tend to move from one genre to another). Anyways, what type of music is needed atm? Menu, battle etc..

(To Aleksi's question: just different synths basically. I'm doing vocals too as soon as I get a decent mic from Thomann, that's only the intro.)
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Hum, ok.
As for a style. It would be more classical genre. Movie type score. Or just basically ambiance.
But i do not suggest drums or techno beat like it has already been done.
You can click on my signature link and check out the "finished songs" i made. It will give you an idea of what i've done for Wesnoth. Feel free to listen to the "unfinished" ones. But as they're name says it, they are far from being finished. This summer will be my come back on it. I have to much work for now.
Cheers,

Aleksi.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Gluem,

Thanks for your interest. We'd welcome any submissions for music for the game.

At the moment we're particularly looking for good music for the orcs, dwarves, and undead, as well as a very short tune for victory and defeat.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Gluem

Post by Gluem »

Alrighty, I'll see what I can come up with. *whips his lazy ass* :twisted:
Turgon

Post by Turgon »

Hiho!

We're currently composing a piece too, that we would like to contribute to Wesnoth. Its not very far yet, but that's just a matter of time... :)
It will be some kind of movie-music-instrumental-fantasy-folk-ambient-monumental... ;) or just movie-music ;) The specialty is, that everything will be handplayed and nothing done by synthies, which would be a novum for Wesnoth, am I right?
Are there any restrictions on how long it is allowed to be? We thought of at least 9min and best 12-15min.

And I guess we will make some kind of fanfare for the victory and later on some orc music...

Some questions concerning the GPL:

1. the wesnoth music is GPL, isn't it? So it should be no problem to donate wesnoth-music to other projects, too. Wesnoth is really a gorgeous game and we're doing the music for it. But there are other Open Source Projects like FreeCraft, that are good too but could need some more music... Does anybody know if there is some platform anywhere in the net for "Open-Source-Software-Music"?

2. We're a little band and we will make out of the theme of our wesnoth-music a (shorter) piece with vocals for our next CD but would like to put the long instrumental wensoth version on our CD too. Would this conflict with the GPL? It would be an additional/bonus track on the CD and on the other hand, we do not really want to make money with the CD and so it is sold at 5-6 EUR just to pay the costs...

And we hope that we get into the credits of the game and can make a link from our not yet existing homepage to wesnoth...

Would there be any problems with something I wrote?

bye
Turgon.
Circon

Post by Circon »

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1364 for a highlight of GPL and selling stuff.

Long and the short of it, you're free to sell anything under GPL, but it would be slightly pointless as anyone else is free to give it away and only morons buy what they can get for free.
(Then again, there are a lot of morons around...)
Turgon

Post by Turgon »

@Circon: thanks for your quick answer!
You're right about the morons and that was clear to me before. Of course we would not want to sell a CD with solely GPL-Music on it. That would really be ridiculous not only in todays net-world... The wesnoth--GPL-track(s) would be additional to the non-GPL-tracks and some kind of "service" to our "fans".
... and to get the CD full... :wink:

But your links answered this question! Thanks!!!

bye
Turgon.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Turgon,

Thank you for your interest.
Turgon wrote: 1. the wesnoth music is GPL, isn't it?
Correct.
Turgon wrote: So it should be no problem to donate wesnoth-music to other projects, too.
Right. Other than projects tending to look a little lower quality if they share music.
Turgon wrote: Does anybody know if there is some platform anywhere in the net for "Open-Source-Software-Music"?
What do you mean exactly by a 'platform'?
Turgon wrote: 2. We're a little band and we will make out of the theme of our wesnoth-music a (shorter) piece with vocals for our next CD but would like to put the long instrumental wensoth version on our CD too. Would this conflict with the GPL? It would be an additional/bonus track on the CD and on the other hand, we do not really want to make money with the CD and so it is sold at 5-6 EUR just to pay the costs...
Although to be included with Wesnoth you have to license the music to us under the GPL, you will retain full rights to it. This means that you can distribute it in other mediums under any conditions you choose (i.e. doesn't even have to be GPLed if you don't want it to be).

Any part of Wesnoth that you have not created yourself you may either (1) distribute under the terms of the GPL. Selling it on a CD would be fine, as long as you follow the terms of the GPL (which means you have to make it clear it's GPLed); (2) seek permission from the person who created it to be able to distribute it under different terms.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Turgon wrote: It will be some kind of movie-music-instrumental-fantasy-folk-ambient-monumental... ;)
Errr, just stay on the tracks and don't get too confused! :D :wink:

Aleksi.
Roel

Post by Roel »

hello, I'm new and just arrived but I might want to do some music for the game

Do you need it as mp3 or midi or mod file? Midi files should be easy, for mp3z I need my band to rehearse before we record and I'm not really good at mods.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Game uses ogg files (kinda mp3 but better, free and newer)
Seach for oggenc or go to http://www.ogg.org
Encoding music from mp3 to ogg makes the quality worse. Try to erncode it to ogg 1st :-)