Startup bug

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
deovalente

Startup bug

Post by deovalente »

Whenever I start Wesnoth (Windows version 1.0.2, my screen goes black for a few seconds (as if it is loading the game), but shortly afterwards sends me back to my desktop. However, the music of the game plays normally even after I have been sent to my desktop, and the game is running in my taskbar. Whenever I click the game button on my taskbar, the screen goes black for a second or two and then boots me back to the desktop again while the music continues to play.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Has it run correctly before?
What is your screen resolution in windows display property settings?

This sounds like it may be a problem with your preference settings. Try opening wesnoth/userdata/preferences in wordpad. What are the settings for fullscreen, xwindowsize, and ywindowsize?

Other things to try:
1) Right-click the icon on the taskbar then pick maximize, then minimize. Try this several times.
2) After you left-click the icon on the taskbar try pressing Ctrl+F.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
deovalente

Post by deovalente »

It hasn't run correctly before since this is the first time I've downloaded it. :P

Screen resolution is set at 1024x768, and to my knowledge that is as high as it will go without me having to scroll across my desktop on a higher setting.

Aaaand, I don't know what exactly this means, but I don't have anything under wesnoth/userdata/preferences. I have wesnoth/userdata, but it contains three files, cache, editor, and saves.

Right-clicking the icon in the taskbar does absolutely nothing, which is decidedly strange. I get no menu pop-up at all, let alone any response from the computer at all to suggest that I've right-clicked anything. Ctrl-F gives me a Windows error beep and nothing else.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Post the contents of stderr.txt.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
deovalente

Post by deovalente »

Battle for Wesnoth v1.0.2
Started on Thu Jun 29 23:49:10 2006

started game: 1
Checking video mode: 1024x768x32...
setting mode to 1024x768x32
found valid cache at 'C:/Program Files/Wesnoth/userdata/cache/game.cfg-cache-v1.0.2-MEDIUM-NORMAL' using it
locale could not be determined; defaulting to system locale
WARNING: setlocale() failed for .
started music
showing title screen...
Loading tips of day
DuTTi

Post by DuTTi »

I have a similar problem. I do double click on the .exe and my game doesn't start, my background is black and sais that i have no Hz's. But yesterday I played perfectly and today i can't I don't know why. 1024x768 32 bits is my resolution.

This is my log:

Battle for Wesnoth v1.1.7
Started on Sun Jul 02 02:08:08 2006

started game: 32
Checking video mode: 1024x768x32...
setting mode to 1024x768x32
WARNING: setlocale() failed for C.
WARNING: setlocale() failed for C.
found valid cache at 'C:/Archivos de programa/Wesnoth/userdata/cache/game.cfg-cache-v1.1.7-MEDIUM-NORMAL' using it
loadscreen: filesystem counter = 83
loadscreen: binarywml counter = 9705
loadscreen: setconfig counter = 221
loadscreen: parser counter = 210
started music
showing title screen...
Loading tips of day
title screen returned result
quitting game...
exiting with code 0

My game runs on windows xp.

This is the preferences file:

allow_observers="no"
campaign_server="campaigns.wesnoth.org"
chat_lines="6"
colour_cursors="no"
encountered_terrains=" ,/,?,B,C,D,E,I,J,K,N,R,U,W,Y,Z,\,c,d,f,g,h,i,k,m,n,o,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,z,|"
encountered_units="Bandit,Bowman,Cavalier,Cavalryman,Dark Adept,Dark Sorcerer,Deathblade,Desert Archer,Desert Fighter,Desert Hunter,Desert Marksman,Desert Ranger,Desert Scout,Direwolf Rider,Dragoon,Duelist,Elvish Archer,Elvish Avenger,Elvish Captain,Elvish Fighter,Elvish Hero,Elvish Marksman,Elvish Outrider,Elvish Ranger,Elvish Scout,Elvish Shaman,Elvish Shyde,Elvish Sorceress,Fencer,Foodpad,Footpad,Garak Captain,Ghost,Ghoul,Giant Mudcrawler,Goblin Impaler,Goblin Knight,Goblin Pillager,Goblin Rouser,Goblin Spearman,Heavy Infantryman,Horseman,Horseman Commander,Iron Mauler,Kaleh Fighter,Lieutenant,Longbowman,Mage,Master Bowman,Master at Arms,Merman Fighter,Merman Hunter,Merman Spearman,Merman Warrior,Naga Fighter,Necrophage,Nym Hunter,Orcish Archer,Orcish Assassin,Orcish Crossbowman,Orcish Grunt,Orcish Slayer,Orcish Slurbow,Orcish Warrior,Outlaw,Peasant,Pikeman,Poacher,Rogue,Shock Trooper,Skeleton,Skeleton Archer,Small Mudcrawler,South Guard Captain,Spearman,Thief,Thug,Troll,Troll Rocklobber,Troll Whelp,Vampire Bat,Walking Corpse,White Mage,Wolf Rider,Wose"
fullscreen="true"
gamma="100"
grid="false"
host="devsrv.wesnoth.org:14999"
locale="C"
login="Debuntu"
mp_countdown="no"
mp_countdown_action_bonus="13"
mp_countdown_init_time="90"
mp_countdown_reservoir_time="120"
mp_countdown_turn_bonus="35"
mp_era="0"
mp_fog="no"
mp_map="30"
mp_shroud="no"
mp_turns="100"
mp_use_map_settings="no"
mp_village_gold="3"
mp_xp_modifier="30"
music="no"
music_volume="54"
scroll="100"
show_ai_moves="no"
show_haloes="yes"
skip_mp_replay="no"
sound="yes"
sound_volume="43"
theme="Default"
turbo="true"
upload_id="7952365284"
DuTTi

Post by DuTTi »

Plz I need 2 play :P
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Try to start the game in windowed mode with the -w or --windowed parameter.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
DuTTi

Post by DuTTi »

I'm on Windows
scott

Post by scott »

DuTTi wrote:I'm on Windows
You should be able to do it from the start menu run command. Just type c:\Program Files\wesnoth\wesnoth.exe -w (using the correct path for your system)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

If you use an icon to run the game, do a right click and you can get to the settings. There you'll find the command used to run the application. Just append the parameter there and use the normal double click on the icon.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
DuTTi

Post by DuTTi »

Thx 4 all, now I can play but with abnormal window hahaha ;)

Forza Italia :P
deovalente

Post by deovalente »

Mine continues to have the same problem.
Aragos

Post by Aragos »

I experience the same problem, with Wesnoth 1.1.2a and 1.1.7. I started playing on 1.1.2a and it worked fine for some time, but eventually I got this problem. That was some time ago, and I think I got rid of it somehow, but now I wanted to try 1.1.7 and I get the same error. stderr.txt looks about the same as with the other guys (No locale, game seems to start correctly). Windowed mode works fine.

What happens in detail when I start in fullscreen:

Wesnoth loads (progress bar) and I can see my system cursor. Then the wesnoth start screen appears, with music and all, but I can't use the mouse: The Wesnoth cursor sits in the upper left corner of the wesnoth screen and the system cursor moves without reaction from Wesnoth. Additionally, when I mouse over the position of Windows elements underneath Wesnoth (Buttons in an open folder or desktop icons for example), these elements appear above (in z layering) the Wesnoth window.

Shall I make this a proper bug report?

[edit] THe same error occurs when going to preferences in windowed mode and selecting "Toggle to full screen" (or similar). All mouse/keyboard events go to the underlying window.[/edit]

Aragos