What's your favourite campaign?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tatali0n

What's your favourite campaign?

Post by tatali0n »

Nearing the end of HttT, having saved halfway through Return to Westnoth last night after I was finally forced to tear myself away from my computer and come to bed by my wife complaining that she never sees me anymore :lol:

Assuming I haven't crippled myself by not keeping enough levelled units (should be alright - have a few and the campaign is running on easy) that means that across the next evening or so I will have finished my first campaign since stumbling into this terrific game a couple of weeks ago.

Question is what next? I could go back to the beginning and start again on medium difficulty, but I feel like a break from Konrad and his rebels.

So I thought I'd ask for recommendations. What's your favourite campaign?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

A lot of people like The Rise of Wesnoth, and Under the Burning Suns. They're both pretty high quality, although UtBS can be a bit frustrating at times IMO. If you're playing with Wesnoth 1.0.2, then there should be quite a few good campaigns on the campaign server, but if you're playing with a development version (like 1.1.7), then I'm afraid that most campaigns on the campaign server don't work very well yet.
toms

Post by toms »

Scout. :lol:
Just kidding, I like HttT, except for the last 3 levels, which are a bit odd.
I liked Dark Hordes, and I'm very happy that it is continued.
UtBS has a good beginning, but I don't like the last two levels so much.
Ei is...hard to describe. It is not bad, but I just personally don't like it much.

From the user campaigns, there are more I like, but my favorites are Northern Rebirth, Revenge, Wesvoid, LoW, The Heist and Saving Elensefar.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I would not recommend EI. (I wrote it, so I'm allowed to insult it. ;) )

For official campaigns, I like The Rise of Wesnoth and The South Guard. A lot of people like Under the Burning Suns, but I don't, really.

For user-made campaigns, I like Liberty, Saving Elensefar, the Sceptre of Fire, Ilayin the Illusionist...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Kiba

Post by Kiba »

UtBS and HttT
project founder of Libregamewiki

http://libregamewiki.org
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

I think The Rise of Wesnoth is campaign is nice for people who have just finished HttT on easy. It not too difficult (if that has not changed, have not played it for a long time) and it also teaches a lot of Wesnoth history. Don't know why, but I would not recommend UtBS as your second campaign.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Baufo wrote:Don't know why, but I would not recommend UtBS as your second campaign.
Perhaps because it is nothing like any other Wesnoth campaign, so it might confuse you a bit.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

TROW.
By the way, there was already a thread asking this a while back, in Scenario and Campaign Dev...I think I was the one that made it, if I recall correctly.
hey.
Alks

Post by Alks »

UtBS
Most challenging, most innovative and full of surprises.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hm... just noticed that this asked for your favorite campaign, not your favorite campaigns...

Well then; my favorite official campaign is The South Guard, and my favorite unofficial campaign is either Liberty of Sceptre of Fire, not sure which.
The World of Orbivm
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

UTBS. It was the first campaign I played through(although at the time I first played it wasnt finished), and it improved my skill as a player tenfold. IMHO, the story and maps are some of the best in any campaign.
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
Free

Post by Free »

Dark Hordes was great. I'm glad its being worked on.

HttT was pretty good, but I played it first when I wasn't very good at the game so I really, *really* struggled against the clan. If you're more experienced, it is a lot more fun.

South Guard had a great start, but the last two scenarios I got to were pretty dumb.
BlackOpsElf

Post by BlackOpsElf »

Under the Burning Suns is by far my favorite campaign, as I love the storyline, and every scenario feels fresh (two things I can't say about Eastern Invasion... way too much running away and crossing rivers). If you want something a little shorter or more conventional, I recommend Two Brothers, which you can blaze through in an hour or two.

It depends on what faction you want to try next. If you want Dwarves, I am partial to Scepter of Fire. If you want Drakes, get Flight to Freedom. Under the Burning Suns is Elves, but they have a very different flavor to them, as they are Desert Elves, in a post-apocalyptic future (plus, you get an old school boss fight at the end.)
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

BlackOpsElf wrote:Under the Burning Suns is Elves, but they have a very different flavor to them,
yeah, they're evil! Hooray for evil Elves! :twisted:

(To be fair, the Dwarves, Orcs, and Humans in that campaign are also evil. :P)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
jg

Post by jg »

HttH, the TRoW and Northern Rebirth for having the largest battels in the whole history of my 'Wesnoth playing'... :wink:

Seriously, Northern Rebirth had a lot of quality. Wonder why it isn't one of the official campaigns? :?

jg