Siege of Elensefar

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

barefootguru

Re: I've started a

Post by barefootguru »

Tmoiy wrote: Why are you resurrecting a year-old thread to congratulate long-completed balancing?
Haw! Because I read the date wrong!
chicken1

Post by chicken1 »

I really need help. On the last battle I accidently got a grand horseman instead of a padalin and I have about 250 gold and I do not know what to do? :?
unsung

Post by unsung »

Um, kill the orcs with it?
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

unsung wrote:Um, kill the orcs with it?
*put it under your bed and hope the paladin fairy takes it away and puts a paladin in its place, with a quarter.
*level another horseman, you should be able to buy another one with 250 gold (unless balancing has gone a little too far)
*Last turn's autosave
*restart level
*lament your mistake
*shrug your shoulders
*retire from your post
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Bhall14

Post by Bhall14 »

lolz
hey, i came out with 997 gold for the next battle, is this average or did i just do really good, also i have 2 Elvish Champions just trying to guage myself...
ZmX

Post by ZmX »

i came to elensafar with 2 LvL3 elven scouts.
first one was my helper and i was able to use it on first turn
and took the town on east side.
recuited some (4) knights and 2 more elven scouts

on second turn with my 1st L3 elven scout i get a north eastern town of elensefar.
2nd L3 scout followed it.

i sent the knights and recuited scouts directly to the orchish leader.
orc units paid attention to the L3scouts but couldnt reach them.
orcish leader was in city and alone.i killed it
i used the thieves to take the orc units to the water which would make them go slowly

L3scouts' 2nd mission was going and killing undeath leader.
i took them to the west side of map

all of the undeath units was coming to me and leader was alone once more... ( 11 turns...)
perhaps 2 L3 scouts are too powerful for undeath leader
u may use it against orcs for Exp
( orc leader may not die with knights and this causes an attack with the 2nd L3 scout. ( a great risc for the scout :( )

in additon a high leveled knight will make it easier to kill orcish leader
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

4 months to late...but good strategy :)

welcome to the forums!
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Nimiria

Post by Nimiria »

I tried this map several times, so with hmm lets say 140 gold starting it, there is not much hope to win it? :/

I always recalled my strongest units (level 2 and 3 healer, a level 3 human knight, some elvish level 2 and 3 fighters and a red mage.). But the orc has so much units :/

I never finish the maps very fast, I need time to build and place the troops, so I often come very close to the turn limit (I hate this, sorry ;/), and have not much gold for the next.

Any Ideas how to win this map with 8 or 9 units? :)
scott

Post by scott »

Nimiria wrote:I tried this map several times, so with hmm lets say 140 gold starting it, there is not much hope to win it? :/
A month or two ago I issued a challenge to win the Siege of Elensefar with 140 gold and a decent group of L2 units (I posted a saved game to use). Not a single person has been able to do it though some have come close. I think you need at least 200 gold to win this scenario.

The turn bonus is supposed to compensate you for not gold-milking. It presupposes that if you use up all of your turns in a scenario, then you would have been accumulating the income from villages for all those turns.

Therefore, I am guessing that you are over-recruiting or losing a lot of units in earlier scenarios. Though because you have some L3 units, you seem to have enough skill to win the earlier levels with better unit economy. Is this the case?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Nimiria

Post by Nimiria »

All the levels before I did not lose very much troops, but I take too much time to win I think, so there is not much gold bonus. The level before, with the undead, I won this two times, without losing one unite, but always at almost the end of the turn limit.

I am not sure what you want to know now/what you are guessing (my english is not the best, sorry), but I am always very defensefull, and need some time to build up a good front against the AI, cause it has much troops. If i am too fast, I loose too much of my experienced troops ;/

I played the campain too times, and I had one time 100 and one time 140 gold left, and in both times I had not enough troops to deal with the mass of orcish troops. When I got offensely, I lost most, and when I am defensefully I can hold them off, loosing almost none of the troops, but the turn limit beats me then :/

Edit: Ah I see my Game here on the Notebook I started with 186 Gold and its turn 17 and the Orc is down already, so that could become a win :) I will try it out later then :)
zol

The Seige of Elensefar - Resurrected & Not A New Thread

Post by zol »

Here's a variation of my usual opening at the start of First Watch (turn 5).
The banner has not been raised; the horseman was already there.
Normally, the knight would be there instead of acting as a buffer, but I was experimenting with leading with horsemen, and the agreement with the thieves prevented me from re-entering the village with a different unit.

This is all of my levelled units just landed with the best formation they could reach in time.
The buffer seems to have made it not worthwhile to the orcs to even attempt the village this time.

Surprisingly, the orcs were running even when only 2 horsemen, 1 captain, and 1 druid held the south gate and village. (The other horseman nipped offscreen for a village when the real army arrived, enough to stop losing gold.)
Now of course, I have to make the hard choices. I hate to waste the advantage, but, following the AI's example, I should probably just correct my positioning (summoning the thieves to hopefully undermine the attack) and hang on tight.

In this turn, the first skelly will be on the bridge, too.
Attachments
So far, so good.
So far, so good.
sfarsgud.png (112.46 KiB) Viewed 8005 times
finite, infinite, definite
zol

Post by zol »

Reloading made all the difference, as the orcs attacked the left flank at dusk.
My attempt to profit from it was over-ambitious.

Here is Konrad with his entire army at the start of turn 11.
Konrad has 1 HP.
Attachments
ohdear.png
ohdear.png (16.31 KiB) Viewed 7994 times
zol

Post by zol »

Same turn (11) after a little more caution. Losses so far - 1 knight, 1 horseman.
Attachments
Turn 15. A promising start to the day.
Turn 15. A promising start to the day.
dawn(15).png (3.21 KiB) Viewed 7963 times
Turn 11. Much better.
Turn 11. Much better.
better.png (130.22 KiB) Viewed 7963 times
Last edited by zol on July 21st, 2006, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
zol

Post by zol »

Of course, Haldiel missed.
Half of these guys were supposed to be dead by now :P
Additional losses - 2 scouts.
Attachments
:)
:)
yes.png (167.59 KiB) Viewed 7961 times
GreenCelt

Re: Siege of Elensefar

Post by GreenCelt »

Some general thoughts. I started long ago on 1.08, currently playing HttT medium on1.12 because I didn't want to update mid-campaign. Multiple tries at HttT, yet to finish. But strategy for SoE may depend on how you get there.
If via Muff Malal's Peninsula you should have advanced horsemen and mages. I had some success in the past with a direct assault using archers and knights to seize and expand a bridgehead if the orcs didn't occupy the island side forts first. Then recruiting/recalling mages to deal with the undead.
My latest effort went via Isle of the Dead which yielded 2 Mermaid Priestesses and a Merman Triton, recalled on turn 1 of SoE, which made the river crossing very expensive for the orcs. Also IotD toward the end I recruited lots of poachers, footpads, and thugs (night fighters) with the gold which doesn't carry over.