Campaign: Fall of Silvium

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

turin wrote:I see.

Before you restart the campaign, try re-downloading the campaign.
Ok I re-downloaded and played it all over once more.
Scenario 3 is too easy on medium for a medium skilled player (OT what is the adverb form of medium? /OT):
the civilians reach the end of the road before the marauders could even theoretically reach them, so they're presence is rather pointless beside a plot point of view.
For the enemies I just sat on the river bank with my troops and massacred most of them while they tried to cross the river, taking out the boatsmen with my archers. Then I moved into the unfavorable terrain on the other bank and killed the rest by numerical superiority. I lost a couple of units in the whole scenario.

Suggestions:
civilians: the host is camped up when the marauders arrive (at dusk), and is not able to move before (after) dawn. Means the civilians are villages/tends which turn into caravans after the dawn turn. If any of them is captured before you loose. Then reduce their movement to make sure they are pretty vulnerable to the fast marauder scouts.

enemies: give the marauder lord more money - at least for another 6 units - and move his camp more to the middle of the forest, letting him swarm more efficiently. Put a large ford (2-3 hexes) into the river giving them a good point to cross.

With this modifications you might consider to give the player the choice of just bringing the civilians into savety (no bonus) or fight it out and kill the marauder (bonus).

Scenario 4
I know it's unfinished, but I wanted to point out that when I reach the second "fortified village" - the one nearer to the port town - an invisible unit appears (I just could see the movement orb, and maybe - not sure - the health bar) When I tried to select it, it took down the whole game: wesnoth closed.

Sorry, if this one was a bit long, hope it helps.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Very useul. I'll rebalance scenario 3 soon (maybe not today though), and then release 0.1.6.

I know what is wrong with scenario 4, and it is easy to fix.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Bum bum bum... 0.1.7!

Changes:
Fix bug that made scenario 4 unplayable
Add dialogue to scenarios 3 and 4 (although 4 isn't done yet - some minor things I have to add)
Rebalance scenario 3, and add some stuff to make it more interesting

Enjoy!

[edit]
In addition to feedback, any suggestions for names of Lavinian transport ships would be appreciated. I need three.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
bignall

Iceswept Bay

Post by bignall »

When I get to Iceswept Bay, I get the error:

error engine: unit of type Dardan Transport not found!
error general: Error while playing the game: game_error: Unknown unit type 'Dardan Transport'

[OT] Oh, and BTW, dictionary.com doesn't list an adverb form of medium, but the synonym average has an adverb form: averagely. So, perhaps mediumly :) [/OT]
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

That's because I haven't written the scenario Iceswept Bay yet. You've played as far as I've written.
The World of Orbivm
bignall

Post by bignall »

Great job so far! I'm definitely looking forward to the rest of it.
l'ultimo cruco

Post by l'ultimo cruco »

turin wrote:Bum bum bum... 0.1.7!

Changes:
Fix bug that made scenario 4 unplayable
Add dialogue to scenarios 3 and 4 (although 4 isn't done yet - some minor things I have to add)
Rebalance scenario 3, and add some stuff to make it more interesting

Enjoy!

[edit]
In addition to feedback, any suggestions for names of Lavinian transport ships would be appreciated. I need three.
scenario 3:
it is better now, but still rather easy if you manage to take the maruaders out when they are trying to cross the river. Maybe a small advance party of scouts and boatsman could be already across the river so you need to defend the camp and can't just sit on the river bank slautering...

scenario 4:
as soon as I load the first civilian into a boat the scenario finishes with my victory. I suppose this is a bug.
I was unable to board any of the ships beside the middle one. I think this is because the other two are staying in deep water and the game engine won't allow my little peasants to go there...
I think it would be nice if you still had the civilianss from scenario 3 to take care of, just to give you some more trouble.

ship names:
modius - bushel, used by the romans as a measure for cereals
lanx - tureen, bowl
iumentum - draft animal, draft ox
vexillum - naval flag
alcedo - kingfisher
being transport ships I thought some not so heroic names would be more appropriate

hope it helps
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

l'ultimo cruco wrote:feedback:
scenario 3:
it is better now, but still rather easy if you manage to take the maruaders out when they are trying to cross the river. Maybe a small advance party of scouts and boatsman could be already across the river so you need to defend the camp and can't just sit on the river bank slautering...
This is true, but when I used that strategy it seemed rather hard to later kill the marauder leader. So, you can do that, and be well defended, or you can kill the marauder leader.
l'ultimo cruco wrote:scenario 4:
as soon as I load the first civilian into a boat the scenario finishes with my victory. I suppose this is a bug.
I was unable to board any of the ships beside the middle one. I think this is because the other two are staying in deep water and the game engine won't allow my little peasants to go there...
I think it would be nice if you still had the civilianss from scenario 3 to take care of, just to give you some more trouble.
Yeah that's a bug. Good point with the civilians from scenario 3...

l'ultimo cruco wrote:ship names:
modius - bushel, used by the romans as a measure for cereals
lanx - tureen, bowl
iumentum - draft animal, draft ox
vexillum - naval flag
alcedo - kingfisher
being transport ships I thought some not so heroic names would be more appropriate

hope it helps
I like Modius, Lanx and Alcedo...
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Also, looking for some historical information: How would a Legion commander who was defeated in battle be treated when he returned to Rome? He wouldn't be treated as if he was victorious, of course, but I was wondering how upset people would actually be... would he maybe lose his post? Or just be reprimanded? Maybe he would commit suicide; from reading "I, Claudius", that seems to be have been rather common among romans...
Last edited by turin on June 19th, 2006, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The World of Orbivm
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

turin wrote:Also, looking for some historical information: How would a Legion commander who was defeated in battle be treated when he returned to Rome? He wouldn't be treated as if he was victorious, of course, but I was wondering how upset people would actually be... would he maybe lose his post? Or just be reprimanded?
lose post, I believe-- many of roman, greek generals had that happen to them, and thus the most brilliant would be of no help when Greece/Rome was attacked, becasue they were disgraced after one defeat. exiled maybe?
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Thrawn wrote:
turin wrote:Also, looking for some historical information: How would a Legion commander who was defeated in battle be treated when he returned to Rome? He wouldn't be treated as if he was victorious, of course, but I was wondering how upset people would actually be... would he maybe lose his post? Or just be reprimanded?
lose post, I believe-- many of roman, greek generals had that happen to them, and thus the most brilliant would be of no help when Greece/Rome was attacked, becasue they were disgraced after one defeat. exiled maybe?
Makes sense. Do you know of any examples I could look up on Wikipedia? The Roman general who was defeated that I can recall is Varus, and he committed suicide as the battle was taking place. :shock:
The World of Orbivm
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

sorry, I learn concepts, not names... it was a tanget in Latin class anyways
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
aelius

Post by aelius »

turin wrote:Also, looking for some historical information: How would a Legion commander who was defeated in battle be treated when he returned to Rome?
It depends on the circumstances and time frame. I think it's important to distinguish battles and campaigns here, as well. Very rarely did a Roman commander actually return to the city in the republican era having lost a campaign. Caesar lost a few battles, but never lost a campaign. No one cared about the lost battles considering his great victories. Varro lost a battle at Cannae, and did return to the city to some small reprimand, but the fear of Hannibal (the Romans actually armed slaves to fight him) overshadowed any tendency to punish Varro. In the empire I believe it was more common to have commanders survive losses, but I don't know how they were received.

The Romans actually had a religious practice called "devotio" wherein a commander who thought he was going to lose a battle would take off his armor, don a toga (worn in the priestly style), set up an altar, and dedicate his life to the gods. Having done this he would ride headlong into the mass of the enemy to be killed. The gods would then accept his sacrifice and the Romans would go on to victory.

A particular family (that of Decius Mus) had something like three consecutive generations commit devotio. One of them was such a good soldier that he survived (and the Romans won the battle anyway). This put the Romans in a pickle as to what to do with him. Technically they should have sacrificed him, but, as I remember, they substituted some cattle in his stead.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Hm... OK, thanks. I'll try to keep it fairly realistic as to what happens once Caius R returns to Lavinium.
The World of Orbivm
aelius

Post by aelius »

Roman politics was very much a "good ol' boys" network. If Gaius has influential friends back in Lavinium, he'd be fine, win or lose. Unless his defeat is so miserable that those friends would cease to be so.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)