Airiya (Iranian-type faction)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

The Heavy Horse line should all be wearing steel armour. Wikipedia has it well pictured with Total War screenshots. Don't know about the high helemt for cavalry, as their armous is normally described as tight-fitting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sassanid_army

I would advise a circular shield for the Footman. He is going to fill the cheap scout role in lvl1. The bigger shield is better left for the Guardsman and Immortal (Immortal should be well-dressed too, as they were neither commoners or common soldiers).

The pic with the sappara is good reference for the Warrior/Champion and Conscript. The Spearman and Valiant however, are trickier, according to my Larousse imagery, they didn't bother with body armour, just hoplite-like shields. The Valiant should have plums in their helmet (i think the term is thracian helmet).

THANK YOU for all of this, Master of Doom.

Blessings upon you Anyar, for giving an image for Maguuans.

*goes play with cfg's*
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Turin, quite frankly the beard blends too well with his armor.
Fear me! For I am higher level than you!
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Cfg's tweaked for half-win.

Some changes made:
-All heavy cavalry lines now have 30% blade res
-Anyar's set changed to last scheme. Heavy Horse gets only spear(charge).
-Cataphract branch replaces the Elect/Elite branch. They get spear(charge) and hoof(slow).
-Clibanarii branch repleces the Peer/Noble/Lord branch. They get Sword and Mace in melee and a Bow in ranged.
-All mosuli are now neutral.
-Levy line has now a weak dagger 3-2 melee attack. No need to have so much melee-less units and it keeps with the original Assyrian Archer idea.

Onto doubts:
-Levy may need their sling damage downgraded to account for dagger-ness and keep cheap cost.
-I took the damages for heavy cavalry directly from old cfg's. Thus, Clibanarii may need tweaking seeing how he has 3 attacks now.
-Don't know if the Spearman should get firststrike. This, however, may not be as important.

I guess i'll try to knock up some descriptions now to make it wholesome.
Attachments
Airiya.zip
No descriptions. No fancy abilities either. Hope this works...
(14.87 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

Ok, on the changes you have made:
The Clibinarii, being weaker in melee, should get some resistance increases.
The Cataphract should have its attacks reduced. Maybe 11-3 and 16-1 for L2, 14-3 and 24-1, with impact as the damage type for the hoof attack. Slow is pretty powerful, so multiple hits is probably too much.
The Levy may need its damage or hitpoints reduced. It has really weak melee, though, but it has higher hp than other archers. Maybe lowering the hop to 30 would be sufficient.

Also: The "Parthian Shot" might be possible to implement now. It would have to store the unit, somehow get the remaining movement points after an attack, then, change it's mp to the right amount and unstore it. I don't know whether that kind of manipulation of movement is possible yet in WML.
EDIT: It seems like it should be possible, but to work, the horseman would probably need skirmisher.
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

The Clibinarii, being weaker in melee, should get some resistance increases.
His impact 10% is now impact 40%. His armour is supposed to be lighter/flexible for actual meleeing, so my guess is that padding replaces hard steel partially.
The Cataphract should have its attacks reduced. Maybe 11-3 and 16-1 for L2, 14-3 and 24-1, with impact as the damage type for the hoof attack. Slow is pretty powerful, so multiple hits is probably too much.
11-3 and 14-3 it is. I've changed Hoof to 7-2 and 9-2 for now. The idea was that he can only defend with the hooves, since his armour didn't allow much movement, how did attack_weight worked?.

About the impact thing, mistake from my part, sorry.
The Levy may need its damage or hitpoints reduced. It has really weak melee, though, but it has higher hp than other archers. Maybe lowering the hop to 30 would be sufficient.
Levy now has 30hp. He has blade 20%, so he should be happy anyways.
Also: The "Parthian Shot" might be possible to implement now.
I'm WML uncapable as of now. We need help with that one.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Sorry, no more art done yet.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:
Also: The "Parthian Shot" might be possible to implement now.
I'm WML uncapable as of now. We need help with that one.
It's possible... if nothing else, we could get it so you get 1 free movement after you attack.

The problem is, it will be overpowered if the unit is then allowed to attack again - once the unit attacks, it should be only allowed to move. I don't know how to solve that.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

Inside the [attack] tag, you can put 'movement_used=(some number)'.
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Xan wrote:Inside the [attack] tag, you can put 'movement_used=(some number)'.
Really? Since when? :shock:
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Xan
Inactive Developer

Post by Xan »

Ever since 1.1.3. :wink:
"It is time people learned about their failures and my successes."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Cool...
The World of Orbivm
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

BTW you forgot to document it.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Knowing this, and that the Horse Archer has 8 movement points, how much would it be, should he be able to get away of infantry mov range?.

Also, how much x-y should the attack be?. I'm thinking two hastily shot arrows, like 4-2.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:
Knowing this, and that the Horse Archer has 8 movement points, how much would it be, should he be able to get away of infantry mov range?.

Also, how much x-y should the attack be?. I'm thinking two hastily shot arrows, like 4-2.
My original idea for the Parthian Shot was that the unit would deliver just one hasty shot and then could move away, using however many movement points he has left, but be unable to attack again. He would be able to move after attacking only when using the Parthian Shot attack, and not when using his normal ranged attack.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

That would be making it use 5mov, so he can only use it once, but the issue is usage.

Should he be able to go in, attack, move out?. If so, how much mov should it use to be sure it doesn't get used many times?.

Should he be able only to do one attack, then move?. Using movement_used=5 could do this, but he would only run 3 hexes afterwards at best (after the melle-less unit endures a turn of melee most possibly, since you wouldn't Parthian someone with ranged attack, which normally will have more repetitions than your).

Another option could be for the attack to have some sort of WML special. The moment it is used, it dissapears until the next turn, and movement_used=0, so he doesn't lose moves when doing it.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

My understanding is that once a unit attacks. it cannot attack again that turn, even if it has movement left over - although you should probably test that. I'm basing it off of my experience with debug, where you can give a unit that has attacked more movement and he still can't attack again.

If that's true, we shouldn't need to worry about the exact number of movements removed - we could even make it 1, although that might be unbalanced.
The World of Orbivm