Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
turin
Lord of the East

Hippos...

Post by turin »

This is a unit line for the IE... I have the standing frames done, but they could use improvement. Any suggestions dealing with the graphics would be helpful. Please do NOT discuss the idea behind the unit here... only the unit graphics.
Attachments
river-horse.png
river-horse.png (4.58 KiB) Viewed 4133 times
river-calf.png
river-calf.png (4.1 KiB) Viewed 4135 times
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Perhaps differentiate more the color of the hippo's skin and of its rider ?
Alks

Post by Alks »

Add some details to hippo. He looks ok, but would need some (uhhh... the word is missing), saddle and armor/decorations.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Alks wrote:Add some details to hippo. He looks ok, but would need some (uhhh... the word is missing), saddle and armor/decorations.
Hm... hippo armor.

I'll work on that.
Noyga wrote:Perhaps differentiate more the color of the hippo's skin and of its rider ?
The problem is, you can't really change a hippo's pose... the top one is actually smaller.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

I don't get what's going on with the shadow, there appear to be two bumps on it, I assume one is the shadow of the rider, but then what is the other one?
tsr

Post by tsr »

I think the perspective is a little wrong (compare to other mounted units), they should be faced more towards me and less to the right (that's my right).

The rider seems to be sliding of the back on the hippos left side. Or maybe both are tilting over on the hippos head, I don't know?

The hippos left back leg looks like it's growing out of the wrong side, adding some more line above it might fix it.

And I don't like that they seem angry at eachother (by their looking)

The light should come from one place, currently the shadow indicates it coming from the hippos left side, the lighted back-right-leg indicates that it's coming from the right side, and the face that it's coming from the front. If you flip the shadow along the line of the hippos spine it might get better?

/tsr

(A bit to tired to be doing this, hope that I don't sound harsh)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Master Stilgar wrote:I don't get what's going on with the shadow, there appear to be two bumps on it, I assume one is the shadow of the rider, but then what is the other one?
Uh... good point. And easy to fix. ;)
tsr wrote:I think the perspective is a little wrong (compare to other mounted units), they should be faced more towards me and less to the right (that's my right).
I don't think so - horsemen are pretty tilted too. But maybe you're right.

The rest of your crits look valid, and pretty easy to fix...
Attachments
river-calf.png
river-calf.png (4.12 KiB) Viewed 4072 times
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

turin wrote:
tsr wrote:I think the perspective is a little wrong (compare to other mounted units), they should be faced more towards me and less to the right (that's my right).
I don't think so - horsemen are pretty tilted too. But maybe you're right.
horsemen are tilted, but to a lesser degree, using the nemidian horseman as a guide the hippo should probably be rotated about 5 degrees clockwise. I've done an edit to the river calf to demonstrate this. Basically I moved the feet (they were wrong for the current angle anyway), and rotated the head (which is where people get most of the angle from) by adding an eye (it was that simple, just adding an eye) and I also added ears because you missed them out.

I would say that the back needs to be lifted by a pixel or two, but I don't have time (got lessons soon), but doing that shoudl be easy and take 5-10 mins tops.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Thanks... I'm going to go ahead and just use your edit...
The World of Orbivm
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

I´d have to say that I think they look a bit small for hippos. Well, the young hippo is okay.. but hippos are big and agressive creatures. Aside from humans they no real natural enemies once they reach maturity.
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Na'enthos wrote:I´d have to say that I think they look a bit small for hippos. Well, the young hippo is okay.. but hippos are big and agressive creatures. Aside from humans they no real natural enemies once they reach maturity.
True. But they are pretty big - the level 2 hippo is 10 feet tall and 20 feet long, judging by the height of the rider.
The World of Orbivm
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

True, but I surmised the rider was a dwarf-sized creature or something.

Ah well. Looks nice, anyway.
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I would reccomend a bit more contrast around the hippo's head to give it some definition and more '3D-ness'.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Good job, Ranger M.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Jetryl wrote:Good job, Ranger M.
Thanks, although really the back of the hippo still needs editing.