Bot.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tomsik

Bot.

Post by Tomsik »

I started to make bot for wesnoth lobby, right now it's very baisic, but works. I won't release sources to everyone because more than one bot in lobby would be.. scary..
I think it would be pointless to make bot that doesn't do anything useful, so i want to make bot that actually does something, problem is that i have no idea what it could do - i ask for ideas.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Spam labels? Spam private messages? Repeatedly join games and leave after they start? Repeatedly host games and then kick everyone on turn 3? There's all kinds of ideas...

...thank you for not releasing the source. :P
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Spam labels? Spam private messages? Repeatedly join games and leave after they start? Repeatedly host games and then kick everyone on turn 3?
There is already enough of it. :P
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

Host regulated(as in each game is the same map, time limit, gpv, etc.) games. Maybe if you had it log results(Winner, statistics) and make these accessible through "commands"(in the same way irc bots are controlled), it would be something cool.
An example:

Code: Select all

<anyar>/msg wesbot wesbot-scores
*whisper from bot* Won: 1 Lost: 4 Tied: 2 Statistics(an average): 313/371 Rank: 11
<anyar>wesbot-hi-scores
<wesbot>Top ranked players are:
1. blah
2. blah
3. blah
4. blah
5. blah
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Looks like nice idea, problem is that making it host anything would need quite some code (well.. i could copy some, but not all) and i would preffer it to be lobby-only bot. :?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Log the activity of other players. Record how long each player has been idle.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

If you want it to be a lobby only bot, I would say draw inspiration from wesbot on irc#wesnoth-dev. For example, being able to say when the bot last saw such and such a user and what the last thing they said was. Maybe keep track of who goes into what games.

To me, a far more interesting option would be having a bot that can join and play games. If/when I get the dfool AI working, I may try doing that myself.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

And give it a conversational AI so it can impersonate a human... :twisted:
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

I think tenatively is a good thing, and we've discussed it around the MP channel with tomsik. Some problems and issues need to be ironed out, but I think its a positive step.
Anyar wrote:Host regulated(as in each game is the same map, time limit, gpv, etc.) games. Maybe if you had it log results(Winner, statistics) and make these accessible through "commands"(in the same way irc bots are controlled), it would be something cool.
An example:

Code: Select all

<anyar>/msg wesbot wesbot-scores
*whisper from bot* Won: 1 Lost: 4 Tied: 2 Statistics(an average): 313/371 Rank: 11
<anyar>wesbot-hi-scores
<wesbot>Top ranked players are:
1. blah
2. blah
3. blah
4. blah
5. blah
This is definately not going to be one of the uses of the bot.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

if you want to make it really usefull, make it a patch to the server, this way you are sure there's only one per game, and it would have full access to all game stats....

yes, a wesbot like functionality would be nice, a private messaging functionality ("wesbot tell <user> <message>" to have it repeat <msg> when <user> join) this might be abused, but is worth trying

I think this idea would be great,

it's an idea that would enable us to implement all sort of interesting stuff, most of which we don't think of yet...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Make the bot report to the IRC channel... keep a bot in wesoth and another in the channel soyou can ask it/they about the user in the other side...
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Boucman wrote:if you want to make it really usefull, make it a patch to the server, this way you are sure there's only one per game, and it would have full access to all game stats....
I'm not sure giving that much control to bit is good idea(especially from security point of view), also i'd like to keep them separate because it lets you make some variations of bot and run all of them at same time or for example only one.
Boucman wrote:yes, a wesbot like functionality would be nice, a private messaging functionality ("wesbot tell <user> <message>" to have it repeat <msg> when <user> join) this might be abused, but is worth trying
It's good idea IMO, but could somebody post here examples of things that can be implemented? (i'm not sure what wesbot actually can do)
fmunoz wrote:Make the bot report to the IRC channel... keep a bot in wesoth and another in the channel soyou can ask it/they about the user in the other side...
It's not bad idea, problem is that it would need implementing IRC also.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

IRC is easy (at least in perl) ... if you digg around I'm sure you could find tons of functions already done.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Wbot on the mp server wrote:Gah... capsman!
So, he's becoming a sort of manner/style police? :D
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Rhuvaen wrote:So, he's becoming a sort of manner/style police? :D
It can be used as console client also. :P
fmunoz wrote:IRC is easy (at least in perl) ... if you digg around I'm sure you could find tons of functions already done.
I know IRC is quite simple protocol, but it would need not so few work to make it and i could not find good IRC libs, so maybe later. :?