Era names

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
turin
Lord of the East

Era names

Post by turin »

Re: bug 4210

Seems like a good complaint to me. Here are the names I propose:

Default -> "The Great Continent"
Age of Heroes -> "Heroes of the Great Continent"

To keep continuity, I'll rename my custom eras

Imperial -> "The Old Continent"
Imperial Champions -> "Heroes of the Old Continent"

The names aren't the best ever, but they describe the era, and they're at least more colorful than the current "Default". :P

Opinions? Any other suggestions?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Free

Post by Free »

I don't understand what's so confusing. Default is default. It's as simple as that.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

IMHO it's a bad idea because your names are too long.
"Heroes of the Great Continent" is too long to display in the game lobby...
scott

Post by scott »

Default, while not as realistic, has a tremendous amount of gameplay value. Gameplay > realism.

edit: (as a name I mean)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
JW

Post by JW »

Default is a good name because it is the default era of Wesnoth. Naming it something else would be strange and you'd have to associate an actual name with the era, which already has enough descriptive and story content surrounding it through all the campaigns.

Also, I see nothing wrong with Imperial era. It's pretty simple and descriptive.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

I also say keep it as default era. Its the main era of wesnoth, its the only truly balanced era as well, one that will likely remain so.
JW

Post by JW »

Noy wrote:one that will likely remain so.
I HOPE you guys wouldn't go and imbalance it!! :P
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Noy makes a good point, but "Default Era" doesn't sound very plausible as the name of an actual time-period. I think "Standard Era" would sound nice.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Sapient wrote:Noy makes a good point, but "Default Era" doesn't sound very plausible as the name of an actual time-period. I think "Standard Era" would sound nice.
Sorry to say Turin and Sap, I don't think there is much of a point. If we put it among other eras like imperial, ect. people wouldn't necessarily be able to pick that out if it was another place name. I think that an exception for this era is okay because for new people, it gives them a sense of what is the main era. In some way this is for newer players to understand what is the focus of the game. The whole point why its good as the "default era" is because it makes crystal clear that this IS the main era. Putting it in stuff like "Imperial" and "Classic" makes it less clear.

When players get more experienced they will obviously try the other eras, and get to know them better. I don't think it distracts from the esthetics of the game in any meaningful way and may well cause confusion if changed.

Sorry I just don't see the point of this.
JW

Post by JW »

I agree with Noy 110,000%.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Although I agree that default is a bad name for an era (potentially confusing, and pretty boring), I also agree that to most people default will mean the normal and internally supported faction.

therefore I propose:

some name (default)

if the name is short enough then it can fit into the selection box/game lobby, and on the drop down list it will be obviously be the default faction, in fact you can still refer to it as default, it will just have another name to give it more flavor.

although, I don't have any ideas for a shorter name.
JW

Post by JW »

Ranger M wrote:Although I agree that default is a bad name for an era (potentially confusing, and pretty boring)
I don't understand how it's confusing. The fact that you think it's confusing confuses me.
Alks

Post by Alks »

Default makes it clear. I see no reason for changing, with making 'default' = 'great continent' some new players wouldn't catch, what are actually the main Wesnoth eras (default, that is).
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

JW wrote:I don't understand how it's confusing. The fact that you think it's confusing confuses me.
Read the bug report, I never found it confusing, but that guy did, as did somebody I introduced to wesnoth once (although it was in a different way to the bug report guy)
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

I agree with Turin, with Ranger M's suggestion included. The main era could have a nice, proper name (one which makes sense for an actual time period and doesn't clash with the other eras), but it should be clear that it's the 'official' setting for the game world. Adding 'default' next to it would be enough IMHO.
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -