The Era of Myths 5.19.0

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Stygian: (adj., magic) this damage has a 70% chance to hit, as your opponents are distracted by looking up 'stygian' in the dictionary, you beat them over the head with a large styg.

8)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

JW wrote: Also, specifically, what reasonings do you guys have for your preferences for the good/bad duality names? I'm leaning more and more towards Sloar/Lunar every passing moment and will say now that they are my preference. If thre is good logic for other names please inform me of them.
I think, although 'light' and 'dark' would be abhorently turbid and cheesey, they would make more sense than 'solar' and 'lunar', becuase the moon is just reflecting the sun's light.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

JW wrote:
Jester wrote:Now, for another thought I had which I am just tossing out as an idea:
Fire / Water / Earth / Air
Would this be compelling? I'm inclined to go with the Hot / Cold duality and the Lunar / Solar duality more than the elementals, because really, how many units would do Air damage? Any thoughts though?
I would think they would be pointless, as their attacks could be defined in the already-existing damage types: fire/fire, water/cold/impact, earth/impact, air/blade/cold/pierce
JW

Post by JW »

After a lot of internal debate I am deciding against Solar/Lunar even though they are unique. They just are too unique to serve the purpose I wish them to serve I think. This is unfortunate as I was quite fond of them.

Instead I am quite overhauling what I previously had as my decided names and am more closely aligning the names of the damage types to those of Default. The reasons for this are several, one of the most prominent being not having to memorize two different sets of names for the same damage types. So, here is what I currently have rested on:

Blade
Impact
Pierce
Fire
Cold
Holy
Shadow
Mind

Simple, easy to remember, straight to the point. Nothing fancy, nothing foreign, everyting easy and conceptually set. I highly doubt this will change anymore and so I will begin changing unit.cfgs to the new setup.

I expect to have the Shifters and Undead transferred within two weeks if not sooner. I'm not sure when the first release will be, however. All in due time.
JW

Post by JW »

Hmm...wow. Has it been 2 months since the last post?

Anyway, I had a new concept for damage types that I think is currently possible: damage sub-types.

Damage types:
Physical
Blade
Pierce
Impact
Elemental
Fire
Cold
Wind
Energy
Electric
Radiation
Mental
Spirit

I'm not sure exactly how I want to set this up yet (including if I want the new damage types), and I'm not sure if sub-types would add anything; these are just more ideas thrown into the mix.

More to come.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

That sounds like this one game, cant remember the name now, but it was a crappy game so I'd advise against it. Then again, if you can support it with awesomenes in other areas it can still work. I'm pretty much :| on the idea right now.
hey.
JW

Post by JW »

What type of game was it, when was it released, etc?
JW

Post by JW »

Blade
Impact
Pierce

Fire
Cold
Electric

Mental
Holy
Shadow

Okay. I think this will be it for the damage types. 3 physical, 3 elemental, 3 other. Seems pretty balanced, and I don't think there's anything else I'd like to add. Now it's time to convert everything over to the new system.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Mental
Holy
Shadow
You may need to rework the names of these according to your ambient. The Era has Vampire, Undeads, Werewolves, Shifters, Aberrations. The elemental types seem to go in any magician possible.

This leaves the other 3 to be more likely to fill special niches in the factions, so the names must fit them. Unless you have some sort of partially vindicative religious faction i don't think things like Holy would fit, so maybe something like Cleansing, Corrupted, Vital energies representing "good, bad, and natural", maybe replace that Cleansing thing because there isn't much "holiness" in the Era (outright Divine and leave it at that?), or falling back again to Solar, Lunar (Werewolves?) and Mental (this comes in where, Vampires for their controlling abilities?).

But really, when you get the world fleshed out, the names for the extra three should fall into their places more easily.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
JW

Post by JW »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:...Cleansing, Corrupted, Vital energies representing "good, bad, and natural", maybe replace that Cleansing thing because there isn't much "holiness" in the Era (outright Divine and leave it at that?), or falling back again to Solar, Lunar (Werewolves?) and Mental (this comes in where, Vampires for their controlling abilities?).
Hehe, I forgot to tell you I have a secret faction in my head: Celestials. :wink: (I know, I'm crazy, right?)

I intend Mental damage to be pretty heavily used as the Shifters 'Aura Wave' attacks will now be Mental instead of Impact damage. Also, I intend at least one Aberration to have Mental damage (I've got the unit in my head) as well as one of their leader units. Changing the names of Holy and Shadow may be a good idea if we can find a more a suitable name; I stuck to Holy (as well as Blade and Impact for that matter) simply to mimic the Default era so there would be less confusion for players. This may not be a big issue though, in which case changing the name would probably be a good idea.

Current factions in EOM:

Shifters - needs art and stat conversion
Werewolves - needs 1 or 2 more recruits
Vampires - needs 3 or 4 more recruits (perhaps combined with Undead or Werewolves?)
Undead - needs conversion
Aberrations - has nothing but ideas so far
Elementals? - suggested by Ranger M, I'm taking a look at these guys (already has art)
Celestials? - haven't brought them up yet as there's already plenty of work to be done

faction alignments: primary/secondary

Shifters - N/L (like Rebels)
Werewolves - N/C (Like Knalgans)
Vampires - C/N?
Undead - C
Aberrations - C/L (like Drakes)
Elementals? - N
Celestials? - L

You can see why I have the idea to add the Celestials - none of the other factions really have Lawful units. The Shifters will be 3/3, but I think there needs to be more than that. Also, I have some interesting ideas for how the Celestials would play differently from all other factions.
Jester

Post by Jester »

JW wrote:
Current factions in EOM:

Shifters - needs art and stat conversion
Werewolves - needs 1 or 2 more recruits
Vampires - needs 3 or 4 more recruits (perhaps combined with Undead or Werewolves?)
Undead - needs conversion
Aberrations - has nothing but ideas so far
Elementals? - suggested by Ranger M, I'm taking a look at these guys (already has art)
Celestials? - haven't brought them up yet as there's already plenty of work to be done
Uhm, both the Werewolves and Vampires have 4 recruits, isn't that enough?
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Just to chip in with my two cents: I think less recruits with a good, branching level-up system is much better then a overly loooooong list, like that ridiculous sprawling thing the Loyalists get.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

For the love of all that is holy let me use the headstart i had on this:
a. We get Magicians making up chymeric servants and calling high -albeit violent- spirits, with the purpose of "purifying" the land for their own fanatical utopia. Getting bizarre purifying spirits/avatars may be hard though. I would love to see a war spirit sharing the love or an avatar that kicks arse and heals at the same time.
As base/part of the Celestials. The magicians being the leaders can be downplayed with the upcoming of avatars/spirits and other related stuff. It's the first phases anyway.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
JW

Post by JW »

Jester wrote:Uhm, both the Werewolves and Vampires have 4 recruits, isn't that enough?
Do the Vamps have 4? I guess 4 is fine if they branch well. I thought Vamps only had 2! :shock: Also, for the Werewolves, I wrote that out of concern for damage type variety. If you can work on this with still having 4 units that shouldn't be a big problem.

And Zhukov is probably right in that good branching will make them more interesting than more recruits. I wrote thatthinking about the 6+ recruiits for all the Default factions, but that's probably over-ambitious.

Cuyo Quiz wrote:For the love of all that is holy let me use the headstart i had on this:
a. We get Magicians making up chymeric servants and calling high -albeit violent- spirits, with the purpose of "purifying" the land for their own fanatical utopia. Getting bizarre purifying spirits/avatars may be hard though. I would love to see a war spirit sharing the love or an avatar that kicks arse and heals at the same time.
As base/part of the Celestials. The magicians being the leaders can be downplayed with the upcoming of avatars/spirits and other related stuff. It's the first phases anyway.
Did you have unit's in mind? I was thinking of having them be relatively weak but having a unit like the Lantern Archon in DnD. Example of what his stats could look like:

"Lantern Archon" (name to be changed)
level 1
hp 15
mp 6
flies
Illuminates
4-3 ranged Holy attack
70-80% defense on most terrains, low to medium resists (except Shadow).
cost: TBD

Pretty unique unit, eh? It would create a much different style of play, and the balance will probably be tough, but we can get it to work. If you have more units go ahead and start a thread for em - this little guy is the only one I've got in my head so far.

-edit-

Celestial thread
JW

Post by JW »

Here's a quick link to all of the EOM faction threads:

Shifters
Werewolves
Vampires
Undead will be discussed in this thread.
Aberrations
Celestials
Elementals - only a possible EOM entry

A few things I'd like to address:
:arrow: Do these factions fit in the WOW?
:arrow: If so, where do they fit in? (the Shifters are SE of Wesnoth)
:arrow: If not, where do they go?
:arrow: Do the Elementals belong in this era?
:arrow: Do the Undead need to be in this era? -I planned on mixing them up somewhat, but with the Aberrations and Vampires it might be better to just remove them. Thoughts?

Right now the Shifters are looking good
the Werewolves are looking good
the Vampires need to be fleshed out a little more
the Undead need to be addressed
the Aberrations are just starting up
the Celestials are just starting up
the Elementals need to be addressed