New Campaign Graphics

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Something more like this. Notice how all the shadows go in a precise direction, from the actual solids (e.g. house, chimeny) in the image?
Attachments
newhouse.png
newhouse.png (6.99 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Mille
Art Contributor

Post by Mille »

Elvish Pillager wrote:No. Shadowing isn't just a matter of adding dark blobs.

Go find a tutorial. :wink:
Hey - Perhaps we are takling of the same thing - I´m not sure.
I didn´t added dark blobs as you said, i used a darker transparency layer.
Perhaps it was a bit too much and i have to add more details to the shadow layers, but my basic question was more, if the shadows are in the right place.
I think light comes from right behind and so at the down left and the lower edges there must be more shadows, or is this wrong?

EDIT: Oh haven´t seen your version:) Posted at the same time:)
Attachments
village--swamp-shadowed4.png
village--swamp-shadowed4.png (8.17 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
Elvish_Pillager

No, I get it - my point was that shadows of non-blobby things are never blobby. See my latest post (which you may have missed) for where I think the shadows should go, approximately...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Mille
Art Contributor

Post by Mille »

Elvish Pillager wrote:No, I get it - my point was that shadows of non-blobby things are never blobby. See my latest post (which you may have missed) for where I think the shadows should go, approximately...
Yes - I missed it as i posted at the same time:)
Your are right, the shadows you include are much better. It rtied something similar in my last try, but tried to include light flares for windows and the door. Perhaps this was simly to much:)

Perhaps i can combine best of both worlds:)
Mille
Art Contributor

Post by Mille »

Elvish Pillager wrote:No, I get it - my point was that shadows of non-blobby things are never blobby. See my latest post (which you may have missed) for where I think the shadows should go, approximately...
Perhaps you have your version still open? Did you made a version with gamma layer and transparancy? Then i can use some of my light layers with your version?
Elvish_Pillager

No, mine is a flat .png - I used brightness/contrast in GraphicConverter to create the shadows.
Mille
Art Contributor

Post by Mille »

Elvish Pillager wrote:No, mine is a flat .png - I used brightness/contrast in GraphicConverter to create the shadows.
Ok - It worked without - contrast for shadowing is a good idea. I tried to use your suggestions and took the big house shadow as a path to include it as a spearate transparent layer. Also i tried to do a bit more work on the flaring of the windows. I include an animated gif to show.
I know i have to include some more shadows near the front wall of the house.
But beside this i think the house over all looks much better now and at least the light of the windows and door must be better now as well?
Attachments
village--swamp-shadowed5-a+b.gif
village--swamp-shadowed5-a+b.gif (11.57 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
village--swamp-shadowed5-a.png
village--swamp-shadowed5-a.png (8.11 KiB) Viewed 2600 times
village--swamp-shadowed5-b.png
village--swamp-shadowed5-b.png (8.08 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
Elvish_Pillager

-a is looking pretty good now, although something's not right about the light cast by the second floor window. Also, I don't think the door should be open... :?
Mille
Art Contributor

Post by Mille »

Elvish Pillager wrote:-a is looking pretty good now, although something's not right about the light cast by the second floor window. Also, I don't think the door should be open... :?
You mean the upper window?
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

If you look at the existing village&terrain gfx you will see that shadows go up and left in a 45 degree angle, not down and left. Will probably look better if you're gfx are consistent with that.
Mille
Art Contributor

Post by Mille »

@freim: Is this better know? Does it match the mainline style now?
freim wrote:If you look at the existing village&terrain gfx you will see that shadows go up and left in a 45 degree angle, not down and left. Will probably look better if you're gfx are consistent with that.
Attachments
village-swampwater2.png
village-swampwater2.png (7.96 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
village-swampwater2.png
village-swampwater2.png (8.97 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Should not light come from other direction? :?
Mille
Art Contributor

Post by Mille »

Tomsik wrote:Should not light come from other direction? :?
Sorry - somehow two graphics got included in the last post.
The following is the last version. In this the light should come frome the correct direct - or?
Attachments
village_swampwater2_718.png
village_swampwater2_718.png (8.97 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
Mille
Art Contributor

Tassilo Portrait

Post by Mille »

This is the work of my girlfriend and me: Tassilo, the young and dynamic hero of our swamp campaign. Critical comments are welcome!
As absolute beginners in computer coloration we especially struggled with the shadows... We are glad about suggestions how to improve that!

Mille + Tina
Attachments
Tassilo-farbe.jpg
Tassilo-farbe.jpg (42.83 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Awesome.

- Chris