Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

The Sorcerer and Necromancer look great, but am I the only one who think the Lich looks a little on the puny side? Considering that the Lich is a level 3 and an advancement of the Sorcerer, shouldn't the 'mightiness' factor be increased somewhat?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Perhaps. I had already done some things to pump him up considerably, but given what he is - the grand epitome of all undead - it might not hurt to make him a smidge bigger.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Jetryl wrote:Perhaps. I had already done some things to pump him up considerably, but given what he is - the grand epitome of all undead - it might not hurt to make him a smidge bigger.
Actually, the Ancient Lich fills that role. (The Ancient Lich is used for every "lord of the undead" type characters; Lichs function as minor enemies or as subordinates of said lords.) It is probably not a good idea to have the Lich look more powerful than the Ancient one...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:
Jetryl wrote:Perhaps. I had already done some things to pump him up considerably, but given what he is - the grand epitome of all undead - it might not hurt to make him a smidge bigger.
Actually, the Ancient Lich fills that role. (The Ancient Lich is used for every "lord of the undead" type characters; Lichs function as minor enemies or as subordinates of said lords.) It is probably not a good idea to have the Lich look more powerful than the Ancient one...
Then I can edit the Ancient Lich, too - that's not a problem (in fact, he could use some edits). The problem is how the lich itself relates to the average undead unit.

/me cracks open photoshop.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

New Lich and Ancient Lich graphics:
Attachments
deadites2.png
deadites2.png (65.27 KiB) Viewed 4854 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Sweet.

Now, what's the plan for these guys? Are they going to be put into SVN w/o animations, and then have the animations commented out until they are done? IIRC, this was the plan, but I haven't noticed it being implemented yet.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:Sweet.

Now, what's the plan for these guys? Are they going to be put into SVN w/o animations, and then have the animations commented out until they are done? IIRC, this was the plan, but I haven't noticed it being implemented yet.
Oh, it's been implemented on several units (the saurians augur line comes to mind). One part of it is a loose-held rule, though - I don't always comment out the animations. It's not necessary, and sometimes I just don't feel like doing the work (some 5 minutes or so per unit, better spent drawing) - besides the point, having the unit in a halfways state might kick some people's asses into helping us out, hopefully. The end result is the same, except it comes faster because I have more time to work.

So, teh plan: I'm gonna commit just the base frames. I'll also be working on female permutations for the Dark Sorcerer/ Necromancer.

I'd really appreciate if you could help out with melee frames on the sorcerer/necromancer, because I'm kinda stuck doing the magic frames - no one else really can.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Necro-chix0rz. :P

(the female versions of the necromancer + dark sorceress). The lich technically won't have female versions, the graphics will be identical.
Attachments
necroladies.png
necroladies.png (73.44 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The shocks of white hair don't look particularly feminine, but other than that really well done.

---

Regarding the shocks of white hair; it looks to me like you were going for a sort of witch/evil hag look here; I would advise against that. I think it would be better to have a galadriel-the-dark-queen look.

My reasoning is, evil looking hags are usually completely unsympathetic characters. They aren't appealing at all. I could imagine wanting to become a Lich Lord, because, even though they're evil b***ds, they look darn cool doing it. But I just couldn't imagine wanting to become one of those hags. OTOH, I could imagine wanting to become a dark queen, just like Galadriel did. I think it is important to have the idea of being a Necromancer be somewhat appealing.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:The shocks of white hair don't look particularly feminine, but other than that really well done.

---

Regarding the shocks of white hair; it looks to me like you were going for a sort of witch/evil hag look here; I would advise against that. I think it would be better to have a galadriel-the-dark-queen look.

My reasoning is, evil looking hags are usually completely unsympathetic characters. They aren't appealing at all. I could imagine wanting to become a Lich Lord, because, even though they're evil b***ds, they look darn cool doing it. But I just couldn't imagine wanting to become one of those hags. OTOH, I could imagine wanting to become a dark queen, just like Galadriel did. I think it is important to have the idea of being a Necromancer be somewhat appealing.
2 things:
1] The stressful and unpleasant things that the dark adepts go through turn their hair grey at an abnormally early age. That's my excuse for "It just looks better this way (than normal hair tones). It also doesn't demonize any specific hair tone, either.

2] When I draw the portraits for these ladies, they'll look evil, but not haggard. Don't worry about that - that's not what I was shooting for. It's currently unresolved in these sprites, since with such a low resolution, it could go either way. But when the portraits are in place, the sprites will subordinate themselves to the big picture.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The orcish archer line now has base frames. And they were also _dang_ easy, since I almost changed nothing. The only thing I added was a slim 3px belt (buckle really) on the archer. That's about it.

Since RangerM did a dogpile of new animations for these fellas, I'm going to talk to someone like quensul, who knows Imagemagic well, about converting those (and the other) animations over to this new scheme. Those were really well done, and if he does this, then when kbaskins commits them, she won't have to commit them twice (which would be nice, of course).

Attachments
archer.png
archer.png (1010 Bytes) Viewed 4609 times
xbowman.png
xbowman.png (1.18 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
slurbow.png
slurbow.png (1.51 KiB) Viewed 4607 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Oh yeah - uh - tonight, I team colored the Footpad and Outlaw, in their entirety. That is - I team colored both the base frames and animations, so there's nothing else for people to do on those.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

There had been an old sheet of images in which wayfarer had made some cool, albeit noisily-drawn elves. At least one of these fellas was too cool to let be, and when I realized how similar the captain line was to the fighter, I hatched a Cunning Planâ„¢.

(yes, the new captain is very similar to the old hero, for obvious reasons. No, I do not consider any resulting confusion a valid reason to "not do this" - the banner is noticeable enough.)

There may be some additional edits.

Voilá:
Attachments
kicky.png
kicky.png (91.12 KiB) Viewed 4395 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Etc.
Attachments
kicky2.png
kicky2.png (105.09 KiB) Viewed 4337 times
Neoriceisgood