[Historical] Son of the Black Eye Updated!

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Shotor_Rider wrote:In case you need to see how the original SotBE on Hard level can be beat with only 10 losses watch the replays in my post:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

This is an excellent campaign. There is no room for improvement in "Saving the Inarix" and "End of Peace". However the last scenario is quite boring. Also AI is very inefficient in the "Black Falg", I finished it in 5 turns. The "Desert of Death" has a map which s unnecessarily big and makes it frustrating.

I Just wonder if it is possible to finish this campaign with no losses...Maybe I should try the medium difficulty.
Thanks for the imput Shoter Rider. Just to clairfy, you are talking about this "updated" verison in your feedback right?
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Shotor_Rider

Post by Shotor_Rider »

Well, I have not played the updated version except a little of the first scenario in hard which I thought was identical with the original one. The replays and comments are all about the original and not the updated campaign.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Shotor_Rider wrote:Well, I have not played the updated version except a little of the first scenario in hard which I thought was identical with the original one. The replays and comments are all about the original and not the updated campaign.
I see. Well, I have made a lot of major changes throught the whole campaign and, in my humble opion, greatly improved it. I have also added three new scenarios so far and plan to add about five more, which would compleate the campaign. Yeah, it's going to be a bit of an epic I know, but I don't think you will get board. Anyhow, I would recomend checking it out and letting me know what you think. FYI Black Flag, Desert of Death and Clash of Armies were amoung the scenarios that recieved major changes. The first scenario was pretty good in my opinion so I left it as it was.

BalkanTyp

Post by BalkanTyp »

hmmm when will be the final version out??? because i played it very long time and dont want to spend so much time if the campain will crash a second time so that i must play it a third timE :D

it would get boringhehe:D
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Unless there are some more major changes being made in the game itself, you should be able to continue from the start of the last scenario where you left off. When it is going to be compleated it is hard to say. I haven't been spending as much time working on it as I would like to (school, work, taking care of the farm and so on) so it's kind of going at a snails pace right now. In the future I might have more time to spend working on this but it's really hard to say. If worse comes to worse, I will have it done by the end of the year at least, although it may be compleated in one or two months from now. It all depends.

Shotor_Rider

Post by Shotor_Rider »

I was playing SotBE (updated) and "The Siege of Barag Gor" is quite unbalanced at least on hard level. I finished the previous scenario (toward the mountains of haag) in 7 turns and it didn't give me any bonus gold!! I started with a meagre 152 gold, well nobody can finish with that amount. SO I decided to stay a bit longer in the "toward the mountains of haag" and get some level 2's which I did and this time I had 132 gold! To make the story short in a brutal and bloody battle losing 5 of my dear fighters I killed all 4 marshals and rescued Jetto in round 20 which happens to be the last round.

But it was not at all pleasant and I had to do at least 9 to 10 save and loads. otherwise I couln't finish. Can you guys balance the gold amount?so at least one starts this scenario with 350 golds? another suggestion: Make the starting Keep of Kapou'e a little bit bigger so that he can recruit 6 or 7. Also make it 25 or 26 rounds...20 is a bit of stretching.

Anyway I am posting the replays. Watch and cry!
Attachments
First-3-episodes-SotBE.zip
(36.56 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
Sly

Post by Sly »

In Medium difficulty it's well balanced : had some hard times, but had 400 gold to begin (try to finish the previous by killing the dwarves, as Kapoué hints ("collect some taxes") there is a early finish bonus in this case.

Just begin the desert of death, and I like this campain :wink:

Just a question : is the alternativs 2nd scenario (Human Army) meant to be survived ? :?
Shotor_Rider

Post by Shotor_Rider »

This scenario is impossible!! I am playing the "Siege of Barag Gor" on Hard again. This time I have killed the dwarvian king and have around 240 gold together with 5 level 2 in my recall. I can not do what I did with 132 gold this time...for some reason my allie does kamikaze attacks and gets slaughtered by turn 9 or 10.

Has anybody finished this level on hard with at least very few save and loads?

This campaign is way harder than the original.
Shotor_Rider

Post by Shotor_Rider »

:x :x :x I have no friggin' idea how I finished "Barag Gor" in SotBE (updated) hard. I simply can not do it again...I looked at my replay again and again (look at my previous post), the only thing i can say is that I was super lucky since my ally did exactly what I wanted him to do.

I will give $10 to anybody who can finish this level with my recall list and gold. Even with a limited number of save-loading, say 10 times.

Who will take this challenge?
Sly

Post by Sly »

Rahh !! Just finished Back Home wich was a PITA (I hate moving on snow, it's boring !) ... to discover that the next scenario Civil War does not exist :cry:

Well I really liked the preceding scenarios :wink:

I saved Inarix just to have him killed on the following scenario :( (damn Griffins !)
BalkanTyp

Post by BalkanTyp »

i have found a bug if Grüü attacks a scorpion in all other maps he is on the beginn poisoned also when i load a game???

i wanted to report this but the bug isnt very hard because of regenate of the trolls
toms

Post by toms »

Thats...really weird. AFAIK, Grüü is never stored anywhere, so it is probably not the campaign. :o
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

I've noticed this as well, but its not much of a problem. He seems to regenerate anyway.
Rothrorn the Wise
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hey Shotor Rider, thanks for the feedback on that Barag Gor scenario. I think I'll add a "leader goal" tag for your ally in the next release so that should keep him from making any sucide attacks. Should do the trick eh?

Glad you like the campaign Sly, "Civil War" is in progress :-)

Oh, and about Grüü, I thought I fixed that problem. He get's poisened in the "Desert of Death" scenario from eating the scorpian, but then, as you say, he heals up. If you save/load the game a couple of times he starts out poisened in that one scenario, but it shouldn't happen in any of the other scenarios. The reason for this is because I made Grüü poisoned by an affect, as if he picked up a potion or something. But the duration was "level" so unless they changed the WML recantly I don't know why it's doing that. Anyhow, i'll check it out... I am not getting that problem myself anyway.

Xeron_

Post by Xeron_ »

after finishing the first level of Son of the Black Eye, the game suddenly broke. - the window was instantly closed and i had to restart my x-window since it was stuck in a zoomed in mode. This bugg has just occured after this very level of your campaign, thus i believe it is no general problem of my pc/the game.

Here's the message i have recieved in my Terminal:

scenario: 'Toward_Mountains_of_Haag'
has snapshot: no
skipping...
wesnoth: unit_map.cpp:55: void unit_map::add(std::pair<gamemap::location, unit>*): Zusicherung >>res.second<< nicht erf?llt.
Abgebrochen

- by a pitty it's german -