Dwarwes have no chance to win in Wesnoth

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

Post by JW »

DimWit apparently thinks dwarves are unbeatable. You two should play each other and see who's right.
JW

Post by JW »

La_vie_en_Wose wrote:If I understand well, I'll reply to you with another question : Do you know any other official Wesnoth faction who hasn't it's 3rd lvl unit ?
Goblin Spearmen, Orcish Assassin
Walking Corpses, Vampire Bat, Ghoul
Saurian Augr
Footpad, Poacher, Gryphon

Would you argue that Rebels or Loyalists are the best factions then as they get 2 level 4 units each?
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

I love Elder Noobs. They truly believe themselves to have transcended the Noobian Plane.

8)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
appleide

Post by appleide »

Uh.... Just to share my observations.

In 3v3 Ai and I games, with random Factions for everyone, I'd hate it if my side got dwarfs. They always get nailed by Loyalists consistently. The Loyalists use Heavy Infantryman and the dwarfs are toast. The AI then proceed to flank my only remaining average Ally, and By the time they had eaten him also, I own only 1/3 of the map, while the other team own 2/3, and I am outproduced badly, eventually losing.

Dwarfs don't have anything to deal with Hi. (is there? i can't see it.) They have no fire or cold attacks. Their normal weapons have at least 30% discounted by the HI. Dont even think about berserking him, you'd lose so badly it isn't funny any more. Their Mages rock against Dwarvish Guardsman so much too, no Village turtling for you.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
JW

Post by JW »

appleide, I will addres your concerns shortly in this thread: How to play Knalgans.

-edit-

That section is up.
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

Thanks JW for this little lightning upon the units that can't reach level 3. I was on the official server a few minutes ago, waiting for someone to proove me I was wrong. No one came. Maybe I should change my name.
If you really hate stupid people, get a girlfriend.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

We don't revolve around your schedual.
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

I hope so !
If you really hate stupid people, get a girlfriend.
DimWit

Post by DimWit »

JW play me on multiplayer I usally play dwarfs cause Undead are nerfed... And dwarfs are overpowering... Undead use to be very good but since than have been nerfed to non existing...

Crap i forget you rarely play....

Peace nubby
Dawgas

Post by Dawgas »

I'll beat your Kooky Knaglans with my Ualuealuealeualey Undead.

Now silence and please return to the expected civility and stuff. yeah.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Do you perhaps play on some very distorted settings? Perhaps Age of Heroes, 30% xp requirements, with 1000 gold per side?

Under anything close to 'normal' settings, I can't imagine that having or not having a 3rd level version of the Gryphon Rider would change the outcome of even 1% of games.

For normal settings, the quality or availability of 3rd level units makes very little difference in multiplayer. In fact, if Wesnoth was a single-scenario-only game, as multiplayer is, I would venture to say we probably wouldn't have 3rd level units at all.

Oh, and the Ulfserker isn't a "Kamikaze" unit. I've had plenty of Ulfserkers survive battles, and Ulfserkers never kill their enemy and die at the same time, which is the actual aim of a real Kamikaze.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
JW

Post by JW »

DimWit wrote:JW play me on multiplayer I usally play dwarfs cause Undead are nerfed... And dwarfs are overpowering... Undead use to be very good but since than have been nerfed to non existing...

Peace nubby
Want a cookie? Didn't you learn that we play different versions already and that the version you play is unbalanced? And what does the fact that you use the most overpowered faction in the unbalanced version say?

Stop trying to bait me into arguments and insulting me, because frankly, you're nothing more to me than an annoyance. If you really need to get into e-battles to feel a sense of self-worth I really suggest you see a therapist.

Feel free to "forward this to an admin" as you say.
LibrarianBrent

Post by LibrarianBrent »

How does not having a level 3 for a gryphon hurt your game? In general, there will be AT MOST one level 3 unit in a given multiplayer game, unless you're playing on a huge map, with 30% experience, or with Age of Heroes.

And that's very unlikely anyway.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

ASIDE (but an important one):

I've been telling people in the Ideas forum that it is unlikely any ideas for new official units will be accepted as it would disrupt the balance of the factions.

I'm now getting the impression from this thread that 1.1 is unbalanced and hence that you would potentially be open to new official units.

Is this correct? And if so do you have any advice that I should share as to what unit ideas are worth submitting and which aren't?

Thanks.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

irrevenant wrote:ASIDE (but an important one):

I've been telling people in the Ideas forum that it is unlikely any ideas for new official units will be accepted as it would disrupt the balance of the factions.

I'm now getting the impression from this thread that 1.1 is unbalanced and hence that you would potentially be open to new official units.

Is this correct? And if so do you have any advice that I should share as to what unit ideas are worth submitting and which aren't?

Thanks.
We strive to make the game more and more balanced with each successive version. 1.1.2 is more balanced than 1.0.2 rather than the other way around. I think we've had a constant policy on adding in new units for quite some time.

Lvl1s are an emphatic no for any existing faction. Adding new units at that level would screw up the unit balance. lvl2s and 3s? It depends. My personal feeling is that I'd prefer less rather than more, for the sheer fact that adding more units because its "cool" isn't necessarily a good idea. The Armageddon Drake is a perfect example of that. Moreover balancing reasons may come into play. I wouldn't want a lvl3 Berzerker, for obvious reasons.

However most units that are floated on the fourms don't really impress myself or the other devs, and therefore aren't included. The Naga Depthstalker is a perfect example of this, as while some devs said yes on the balancing side, it was killed on the grounds of Concept and Art. We generally keep our eye out for these things anyways, so Irellevant we don't need for ideas to be brought up. Good ideas are usually noticed quite quickly, and we haven't seen many lately.

JW play me on multiplayer I usally play dwarfs cause Undead are nerfed... And dwarfs are overpowering... Undead use to be very good but since than have been nerfed to non existing...

Peace nubby
This is a joke right? I mean JW plays about as much as I do, and is on the 1.1.2 server most all the time. I'd also say that he's probably better than most to make comments on MP strategy. I may not agree with some of his his strategies, but I highly respect his opinion.

Dimwit, I'd advise you to refrain from starting flamewars against valued contributors, especially when its quite obvious that your grasp of the game seems to be quite limited.